Failed to burn DVD error

Got this message while trying to burn a blu-ray of Robbin Hood.

I downloaded version 8.0.4.0 then tried copying MacGruber, and I got the same error message. Except this time it gave me that error after it was 53.77% done writing.

I just started switching to blu-rays, but prior to this I coppied The Book of Eli and it worked fine. Now nothing seems to work :frowning:

Hi kendvp

Are you using the default burn engine VSO ? if so try ripping to your hard drive first then use ImgBurn to do the writing to disc, if you don’t have ImgBurn it is free and you can download it here make sure you set the proper write speed in ImgBurn there is a guide below on setting it up to work with DVDFab but you can use the guide to show you how to set the write speed.

I read through your directions, but how do I know what the proper write speed is? In your example you set it to 2.4x, is that what it should be? Mine is set to MAX by default.

[QUOTE=kendvp;2556901]I read through your directions, but how do I know what the proper write speed is? In your example you set it to 2.4x, is that what it should be? Mine is set to MAX by default.[/QUOTE]

If you are using good quality media like Verbatim brand media you can burn at the rated speed of the disc, you should not have it set at MAX because it will burn at the max speed of the drive/burner itself which is faster the rated speed of the disc.

and if you do have it set at MAX then most likely thats the reason your getting the failure to burn, so slow the burn speed down to what the disc shows as the rated write speed.

[B]SJ[/B]

It says 4x on the disc, so I set ImgBurn at 4x. Then it told me the disc only had about 25gb and it wanted to burn about 48gb. So I recopied it at 23.145gb and was able to burn, it read “burned successfully”. So I tried playing the DVD in my bluray player, and it began skipping at around four in a half minutes into the movie. The counter on the DVD player stopped, then a couple minutes later the scenes in the movie started repeating themselves.

Then I decided to go back to using the VSO engine and at only 2x the speed to see if that would make a difference. Same result, it managed to burn the DVD but it’s unplayable, it just repeats the scenes all the time.

And I am using Optimum DVD’s which I bought at Fry’s, don’t know if those are good quality or not. I can try a different routine to copy and burn, but I want to get it right. Because every time I try to copy and it fails, then I waste a DVD, and those blank blu-rays get expensive :Z

[QUOTE=kendvp;2557057]It says 4x on the disc, so I set ImgBurn at 4x. Then it told me the disc only had about 25gb and it wanted to burn about 48gb. So I recopied it at 23.145gb and was able to burn, it read “burned successfully”. So I tried playing the DVD in my bluray player, and it began skipping at around four in a half minutes into the movie. The counter on the DVD player stopped, then a couple minutes later the scenes in the movie started repeating themselves.

Then I decided to go back to using the VSO engine and at only 2x the speed to see if that would make a difference. Same result, it managed to burn the DVD but it’s unplayable, it just repeats the scenes all the time.

And I am using Optimum DVD’s which I bought at Fry’s, don’t know if those are good quality or not. I can try a different routine to copy and burn, but I want to get it right. Because every time I try to copy and it fails, then I waste a DVD, and those blank blu-rays get expensive :Z[/QUOTE]

Try getting some Verbatim brand and try again specially if the files on your hard drive plays OK and I still suggest using ImgBurn as the burn engine as a standalone program.

Question have you checked the firmware for your drive/burner ? even new drives/burners can have out dated drivers due from sitting in stock at the stores.

[B]SJ[/B]

I tried updating the driver to my dvd burner, and it said the driver software is up to date. But how do I check the firmware for it? It’s an LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner.

I tried playing the movie from my file right off the hard disk too. And it plays o.k on my computer, but it still skips sometimes. It just doesn’t repeat the scenes like it does when I play the copied DVD in my DVD player.

Except I noticed that when I play it on my computer, it skips at the exact same time it starts repeating itself on my my DVD player. At exactly 4:40 is when it repeats scenes on the player, and right at the same time on my computer is when I see a skip. Then again right at 6:10 the movie repeats the scene over and over, and again while it plays on my computer, it skips at 6:10.

Wouldn’t that tell me there are some copying errors at those times on the movie? Which would mean there is something wrong with the copying itself, not just the burning?

[QUOTE=kendvp;2557070]I tried updating the driver to my dvd burner, and it said the driver software is up to date. But how do I check the firmware for it? It’s an LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner.

I tried playing the movie from my file right off the hard disk too. And it plays o.k on my computer, but it still skips sometimes. It just doesn’t repeat the scenes like it does when I play the copied DVD in my DVD player.

Except I noticed that when I play it on my computer, it skips at the exact same time it starts repeating itself on my my DVD player. At exactly 4:40 is when it repeats scenes on the player, and right at the same time on my computer is when I see a skip. Then again right at 6:10 the movie repeats the scene over and over, and again while it plays on my computer, it skips at 6:10.

Wouldn’t that tell me there are some copying errors at those times on the movie? Which would mean there is something wrong with the copying itself, not just the burning?[/QUOTE]
Yes it sounds like there was a problem during the copying process to the hard drive, what I suggest is to delete the ripped files on your hard drive and re-rip it again but this time don’t use your burner as the target but rather select the C drive as the target, after you re-rip the movie title play it to see if it still skips playing from the hard drive.

If it plays fine without skipping then use ImgBurn to burn to a disc again, I myself always rip to my hard drive first just for this reason, also during the ripping process don’t use the computer and may even want to stop any programs running in the background.

[QUOTE=kendvp;2556797]Got this message while trying to burn a blu-ray of Robbin Hood.

I downloaded version 8.0.4.0 then tried copying MacGruber, and I got the same error message. Except this time it gave me that error after it was 53.77% done writing.

I just started switching to blu-rays, but prior to this I coppied The Book of Eli and it worked fine. Now nothing seems to work :([/QUOTE]

Your files are too big to fit on the disc.

What’s the total size of the files?

If it’s 23GB as indicated in one of your other posts then you’ll either need to burn this to a Blu-ray or compress to fit a DVD.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Hi Wombler

Think we already figured out the burn issue, the problem now is the ripped files on the hard drive is skipping during playback on the computer which we have to get that worked out first before trying to burn to another blu-ray disc.

Yes but according to the most recent post kendvp is trying to play it in a ‘DVD player’.

Is the OP compressing to DVD in Blu-ray format, compressing to DVD Video or just burning a Blu-ray?

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2557198]Yes but according to the most recent post kendvp is trying to play it in a ‘DVD player’.

Is the OP compressing to DVD in Blu-ray format, compressing to DVD Video or just burning a Blu-ray?

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

No Wombler if you read post #5 you’ll see [B]kendvp[/B] is using blu-ray discs and has successfully burned however there is a problem during playback from the backup and the ripped files on the computer also has the skipping during playback.

I’m waiting to hear from [B]kendvp[/B] who I suggested to re-rip the movie title again and play it first from the HDD to make sure there is no issue during playback prior to attempting burning to another blu-ray disc.

[B]SJ[/B]

@ [B]kendvp[/B]

Please do the following before you do the next rip to the hard drive…

Go into common settings-> “Write” and on the far right under blu-ray [U]set the “writable media(BD-25) size”[/U] [B]to 23000[/B] which the default is 23700 then rip to the HDD and check the playback to make sure there is no problem on playback before burning to disc.

The reason I suggest to reduce the output size is because I’m not sure on the quality of those Optimum blu-ray disc’s you have, also on the next burn try a write speed of 2.4x

[B]SJ[/B]

I haven’t had time to mess with this the past week, but I tried everything you said. It still does the same thing, when I play it from my hard drive, it skips right at 4:40. I was beginning to think it was my blu-ray burner, so I tried playing the movie right from the burner, but then the movie plays fine, no skipping.

But I saw another thread they are talking about the same burner I have, mine is the LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner. I don’t know if that’s relevant or not.

[QUOTE=kendvp;2559359]I haven’t had time to mess with this the past week, but I tried everything you said. It still does the same thing, when I play it from my hard drive, it skips right at 4:40. I was beginning to think it was my blu-ray burner, so I tried playing the movie right from the burner, but then the movie plays fine, no skipping.

But I saw another thread they are talking about the same burner I have, mine is the LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner. I don’t know if that’s relevant or not.[/QUOTE]

If you wish to follow the other thread and/or get help in the other thread that is fine, I have removed the link because it may cause confusion with other members on which thread to give help in, specially jumping from forum to forum.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=kendvp;2556797]Got this message while trying to burn a blu-ray of Robbin Hood.

I just started switching to blu-rays, but prior to this I coppied The Book of Eli and it worked fine. Now nothing seems to work :([/QUOTE]

SOURCE was E: and TARGET too, so no surprise that you got into trouble…

and of course the source probably wont fit on the target disc, which was mentioned already. :wink:

[QUOTE=chef;2559495]SOURCE was E: and TARGET too, so no surprise that you got into trouble…

and of course the source probably wont fit on the target disc, which was mentioned already. ;)[/QUOTE]

When DVDFab does a rip/copy process to a disc it save the files in a temporary folder on the HDD, if you use the same drive as source and target DVDFab will eject the source disc so you can remove it and place a blank media into the drive/burner once you close the tray the source drive then becomes the target, so that is not the issue.

[B]SJ[/B]

Yeah, something weird is going on. I might try that other forum too.