Failed reflective power calibration?

vbimport

I updated my LG GSA 4120B DL drive with the latest firmware on LG’s site which was A115. This drive is on a Gateway PC.

I installed ImgBurn 2.4 to write to Verbatim DVD+ R DL’s. I load the Video and Audio TS folders no problem. As soon as I start the burning process I get an error mesaage stating that “Reflective Power Calibration Failed” that area is already filled. Could this be from the firmware update? I went from A102 to A115. The drive was good before I updated. I burnt many DVD+R’s just not DL’s. I wanted the latest firmware before writing DL’s because I didn’t want any coasters. Something is going on. Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Are you sure it was a new disc you inserted?

There’s newer firmware for that drive - A117 - see here.

Also, you may have got a bum disk.

Anyway, post a full log in future please.

Regards

I can’t thank you enough! The A117 firmware fixed this problem. I couldn’t find anything newer than A115. You pointed me right to the update. That was brilliant!

:bow::bow::bow::bow:

My only problem now is how to get a smooth transistion at the layer break. I am writing the disc using a Video_TS folder from a video that I shot and authored. ImgBurn only gives one choice displayed in the menu for layer break. I am using Verbatim DVD+R DL media. The disc plays fine except it hangs for a few seconds at the layer break, than plays. Is this a consequence of the DVD player or is there something I can do about this?

Check the “seamless” box in the layer break dialogue (bottom right under Options) after you have pressed the big green button.

A few seconds sounds like a long time. Typical LB pauses are 1 second (it is still annoying).

Anyway, make sure you player can support seamless layer break (it seems most do).

Regards

The discs play back flawlessly on the LG GSA 4120B burner, even at the layer break, with seamless checked or unchecked.

My cheap Phillips DVD player is another story… Seamless unchecked it hangs at the layer break. Seamless checked the DVD totally breaks up and pixelates. This may just be the cheap DVD player.

QUESTION:
My purpose for making the DVD DL is to deliver the Video_TS and the Audio_TS folders to a DVD replication house. They will copy the folders from the DVD DL, and use them to make a glass master for replication. Because the DVD DL plays back perfectly on the DVD burner and was verified by ImgBurn. Can I assume that the rep house will also be able to copy the folders off the disc as well?

Thanks!
Tom

Make sure you are using Verbatim, 2.4x +R DL, Made in Singapore. MKM-001-00. They seem to be better than the 8x rated MKM-003s.

Could be the player of the media.

They always play OK in your computer - it’s your standalones you need to test.

If it verified OK, it’s most likely the player. I expect the rep house will have no issues with reading your disk and pressing it.

Regards

I sincerely appreciate your help and very valuable time. Success at last! I couldn’t have done it without your help. I tried one of the test burns of the DVD DL’s (with seamless checked) on a fairly decent JVC player and it played back flawlessly, even at the layer break. No pause at all.

The media is Verbatim 2.4X MKM-001 according to Nero, and the packaging said made in India. Sounds like not the right choice, as you mentioned Singapore. I guess I am stuck with a spindle of 100 discs now. I bought them at a Sam’s Club warehouse store. At least one worked.

How do these companies get away with putting out discs that can be useless? Can you return them for a refund???

Regards,
Tom

[QUOTE=TKPTKP;2021766]I sincerely appreciate your help and very valuable time. Success at last! I couldn’t have done it without your help. I tried one of the test burns of the DVD DL’s (with seamless checked) on a fairly decent JVC player and it played back flawlessly, even at the layer break. No pause at all.

The media is Verbatim 2.4X MKM-001 according to Nero, and the packaging said made in India. Sounds like not the right choice, as you mentioned Singapore. I guess I am stuck with a spindle of 100 discs now. I bought them at a Sam’s Club warehouse store. At least one worked.

[B]How do these companies get away with putting out discs that can be useless? Can you return them for a refund???[/B]

Regards,
Tom[/QUOTE]

1. They wanna make profit, the buyer has to deal with crap…
  2. Depends on the seller.

The media is Verbatim 2.4X MKM-001 according to Nero, and the packaging said made in India.

See if you can find “Made in Singapore” on your next batch. From what I read, newegg has them.

Anyway, seems like you are on your way forward.

Regards