Failed CDRWs burning with 811S. Help!

vbimport

Last week I just replaced my old HP 9500 CD burner for the Lite-on 811S DVD burner. I have burned 4 or 5 DVDs using NERO, EZCD, etc…

Before with my HP CD burner, I would regularly burned SVCDs (either from a Bin source using Alcohol or from a MPG(2) source using NERO) to CDRWs. I use Memorex CDRWs and burn at the suggested 4X. For the last 2 days, I have been trying to burn a MPG (SVCD-compliant) file to a CDRW with no luck!

I have also converted the MPG to a bin (using VCD Easy) and no luck either using Alcohol. So what’s up with the 811S?!?!

Also, when I am about to burn those CDRWs the only speed option available is 4X. Even though I only want to burn at 4X (my Memorex can only handle 4X) shouldn’t all the options be listed given that this burner is supposed to burn CDRWs at 24X? I have more than 30 of these Memorex CDRWs and I am concerned that 811S can’t cope with CDRWs. What’s your experience? Any ideas, solutions, comments?

Cheers! Andre

Memorex CDRWs

Easily some of the lowest quality RW discs around. They are 4x only, they cannot be burned faster than that on any drive. For 10/12x you need HighSpeed media, for 24x you need Ultraspeed media. suggest you do some error scans and consult the CDR/RW test forum to see what’s up with RW discs.
Recommend Maxell or TDK RW for the LiteOn drive.

also, please do not make multiple posts.

Multiple posts?? I’m new here (first time I post a question) and as far as I know I did not do multiple posts (at least not on purpose). If I did something wrong in posting my message, can you tell me what it is so i don’t repeat the mistake?

Now that I am back here, here’s a quick update. I tried a 5th time and this time the CDRW burned the MPG fine with NERO 5.5.10.20. I then tried to burn the second SVCD (the full movie fits on 3 CDRWs) and after 2 tries so far no luck. Just very inconsistent.

I now have a DVD-ROM drive (secondary master) and the Lite-on DVD Burner (secondary slave). I am thinking of removing the DVD-ROM drive and putting my old HP 9500 back (it can burn these Memorex CDRWs no problem). Would that create a conflict with the Lite-on 811S or would they co-exist peacefully?

Andre

with my 811 until i updated to the latest (HS0P) firmware since then no problems with cdr media.

try the firmware and see if it helps you. it sure did me and as a bonus some crappy 1x princo dvd media that i couldn’t get to burn in my 411 or 811 now burns as well as can be expected for princo media :bigsmile:

i have some of those memorex rws so i will try them and see what i find

since i had some of those memorex 4x rws i tried unsucessfully to burn them for about 30 minutes. i have tried in my 411s and it will burn them fine. they will also burn in my other drives 52246 cdrw 48161 cdrw dvd combo and my 48246 cdrw

i put a 12 x memorex rw in the 811 and burned a disc here is the scan with kprobe set to max speed (40x) for the scan

Media Information                            

Format Capacity 0.53GB(0.57GB)
Media Type CD-RW
ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m25s30f
ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 79m59s73f
Manufacturer Name INFODISC Technology Co., Ltd.
HD-BURN Certified NO
Available Write Descriptor CLV 10.0x 1500KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 600KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 0.0x 0KBps

544meg iso burned at 12x 811s hs0P
and one last thing the spike you see supposedly is not there according to the smart people. when i scan in one of the other non dvd burner drives it isn’t there.

for comparison here is the 4x burned at 4x in the 411 Fs0F
and rdgrimes is correct it is much worse

Media Information                            

Format Capacity 0.53GB(0.57GB)
Media Type CD-RW
ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m25s30f
ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 74m44s 6f
Manufacturer Name INFODISC Technology Co., Ltd.
HD-BURN Certified NO
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 600KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 0.0x 0KBps

not sure why it will not burn in the 811 when it will burn in everything else i have.

Originally posted by Melandre
[B]Now that I am back here, here’s a quick update. I tried a 5th time and this time the CDRW burned the MPG fine with NERO 5.5.10.20. I then tried to burn the second SVCD (the full movie fits on 3 CDRWs) and after 2 tries so far no luck. Just very inconsistent.

Andre [/B]

Suggest you update Nero to the final version, 5.5.10.54. Your version does not fully support the 811s drive, I’m surprised it works at all.
I might also point out that you now own a DVD burner, so why are you making SVCD?:wink:

I also have a 811s with the last firmware from liteon and can’t burn Princo DVD, I also tried 4 CDRW at 10X from Verbatim but after I can’t read all the disc. I cannot no more hear “bad quality media” because it’s a stupid solution. the CDRW worked with all other burners, the princo worked on other 2 dvd burners.
Solutions are 2:
1)My (& other people) burner is broken.
2)Liteon sucks.
Someone tells me the truth, please.

it works with cds for me

Well, I did notice strange writing issues with CD-RW on LDW-411S (and also on 411@811). Sometimes (after flashing on the new firmware) it burns CD-RW really badly and there is no visible reason for that.
Than I discovered, that if I tried to burn DVD-RW and than CD-RW again, than it was working perfectly.
That is really strange, but may be some write parameters are not adjusted correctly, if you try to burn just CD-RW after FW upgrade.
So far I have not noticed, that bad burns for CD-RW are happening again after DVD-RW (or DVD+RW) first burn.

Screw

Hi,

I have tried the HS0P firmware for the CDRW issue. I have found out that the Verbatim Ultra Speed CDRW still reads bad. The Nassua CDRW High Speed works fine. When I use the Verbatim in my laptop CD burner it works fine. Looks like the firmware isn’t good yet.

John