Failed BD-R - advise new settings?

vbimport

Hi,
I got a couple of packs of Taiyo BD-50 DL but unfortunately I have had two bad discs out of 11 burnt so far.

Here is the logs for the two bad discs:

I 22:33:21 Destination Device: [0:1:0] ATAPI iHBS112   2 CL0K (D:) (ATAPI)
I 22:33:21 Destination Media Type: BD-R (Disc ID: TDKBLD-RFB-000)
I 22:33:21 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x
I 22:33:21 Destination Media Sectors: 24,438,784
I 22:33:21 Write Mode: BD
I 22:33:21 Write Type: DAO
I 22:33:21 Write Speed: 4x
I 22:33:21 Hardware Defect Management Active: No
I 22:33:21 BD-R Verify Not Required: Yes
I 22:33:21 Link Size: Auto
I 22:33:21 Lock Volume: Yes
I 22:33:21 Test Mode: No
I 22:33:21 OPC: No
I 22:33:21 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 22:33:23 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 17,980 KB/s (4x)
I 22:33:23 Advanced Settings - Force HT: No, Online HT: No, OverSpeed: No, SmartBurn: Yes
I 22:34:22 Filling Buffer... (80 MB)

and here is the second:

I 12:09:17 Destination Device: [0:1:0] ATAPI iHBS112   2 CL0K (D:) (ATAPI)
I 12:09:17 Destination Media Type: BD-R (Disc ID: TDKBLD-RFB-000)
I 12:09:17 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 4x
I 12:09:17 Destination Media Sectors: 24,438,784
I 12:09:17 Write Mode: BD
I 12:09:17 Write Type: DAO
I 12:09:17 Write Speed: 4x
I 12:09:17 Hardware Defect Management Active: No
I 12:09:17 BD-R Verify Not Required: Yes
I 12:09:17 Link Size: Auto
I 12:09:17 Lock Volume: Yes
I 12:09:17 Test Mode: No
I 12:09:17 OPC: Yes
I 12:09:17 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 12:09:19 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 17,980 KB/s (4x)
I 12:09:19 Advanced Settings - Force HT: No, Online HT: No, OverSpeed: No, SmartBurn: Yes

The settings are identical except for the first one I had OPC=OFF and for the 2nd one OPC=ON. So I guess OPC does not help with these discs.

I want to narrow down the best settings for these discs in the most efficient way possible (ie not just randomly turn stuff on/off), so in order of importance what do you suggest my next settings change should be?

Thanks

When you say you had two bad discs, what exactly do you mean?

The verify failed due to uncorrectable L-EC errors.

I have got good burns with both OPC On and Off, so now am I wondering what paramater to experiment with next - ie which is most like to effect the burn. I will keep a spreadsheet of settings and burn success and hopefully over a couple of spindles I can narrow down the best settings for these discs. As it stands, 2 fails out of 11 is too many considering the cost of the discs.

I don’t want to just randomly turn stuff on/off because that will make it harder to see which settings is having a positive effect.

If you inspect the discs that failed, do you see any sign of visible defect? Did you take a look at the Imgburn burn graph for signs of buffer problem or CPU usage spikes? You may want to try running a transfer rate test on one of the discs that Imgburn verify struggled with to see if it agrees with that assessment.
Are you burning these while the computer is idle?

Thanks for your reply,

The discs look fine to my eye, I don’t see any defect. The first one I think had the problem quite close to the layer change…the second one however was not so close to the layer change.

I have never looked at any IMGburn graphs previously, I guess I will do that now.

I am burning while my computer is idle-ish…just browsing the web and doing some light things.

BD-DL are too expensive to risk on idle-ish ;). That alone may solve your problem. Do try a TRT with DiscSpeed or OptiDriveControl and perhaps a 4x speed quality scan with ODC?

Okay, I didn’t realise a little bit of web-browsing would make a difference. I have burned hundreds of DVD+R while browsing with no verify errors.

Here are the graph for both fails:
Fail1

Fail2

And to compare, here is a random choice of one which burned and verified with no issues:

Does a transfer rate test with ODC hang up on those discs similar to the verify graph? Try a 4x quality scan. It may make no difference, but uncheck “BD-R verify not required”. With so many different hardware combinations possible, it also does not hurt to try another burning program if you have one available.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2646344]Does a transfer rate test with ODC hang up on those discs similar to the verify graph? Try a 4x quality scan. It may make no difference, but uncheck “BD-R verify not required”. With so many different hardware combinations possible, it also does not hurt to try another burning program if you have one available.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, its bad sectors on the disc, it even shows up in Windows event viewer. I tried copying the affected file back to the HDD and it would stall mid-way. So the sectors are definitely not readable and that’s why verify is failing.

I will try that “BD-R verify not required” option with my future burns.

Thanks

I’ve been getting very good results with the TY’s on the iHBS112. But I do leave the machine alone while burning them. I hope this is just an error induced by multitasking.

Thanks for the feedback. I will burn at idle for the rest of the spindle and see if I get any more bad sectors.

How many have you burned so far ?

I intentionally placed three separate orders with different suppliers and have been burning from random spindles from those orders in an attempt to look for variations. I’ve burned a small 50 disc job in my LG WH10’s without a glitch. I’ve burned about another 25 for personal use at various speeds in my other burners, also without a hitch. Quality scanned quite a few of those, looked quite good. Quality scans of others around here are looking encouraging, as well. My iHBS112 burns were consistently good. Please let us know how you make out with the rest of yours? Taiyo Yuden’s TDK DL’s are relative newcomers, and any feedback is welcome.