Failed archive with 3.2.1 and Verbatim

Tried to archive my newly purchased copy of Mr. Brooks, using TDK +R media and DFGold 3.2.1.0 and recieved a write error 116 (happens on rare occassions with cheap media)

Performed a complete do-over (read and Write) using Verbatim (never have a problem) and seemed to perform successfully, but when testing back-up disk, none of my stand alone machines (Samsung, Philips) nor PC drives (Sony 830As) could recognize the disk.

again did a full do-over with verbatim, only this time got a write error 116 (never seen that with Verbatim).

have since successfully backed up some personal disks (family photos etc.) using these drives and NERO, on both types of media, so does not look like a drive failure.

any thoughts?

Please post a burn log from some of the failures.

[quote=dce1511;1917994]Tried to archive my newly purchased copy of Mr. Brooks, using TDK +R media and DFGold 3.2.1.0 and recieved a write error 116 (happens on rare occassions with cheap media)

Performed a complete do-over (read and Write) using Verbatim (never have a problem) and seemed to perform successfully, but when testing back-up disk, none of my stand alone machines (Samsung, Philips) nor PC drives (Sony 830As) could recognize the disk.

again did a full do-over with verbatim, only this time got a write error 116 (never seen that with Verbatim).

have since successfully backed up some personal disks (family photos etc.) using these drives and NERO, on both types of media, so does not look like a drive failure.

any thoughts?[/quote]

Your request alone was very helpful. I had never reviewed these logs, and your request revealed the following in the “DVDFAB_burn_VSO-crash.log”

10/27/2007 1:04:00 AM error Write error at 0 (16) - Code 03 73 03 [Medium error, Power calibration fail (CD-burner is dirty)].

please pardon my newby-ness.

any recomendations on how to clean the burner, or will a standard off the shelf drive cleaning disk work?

Many thanx,
DCE:bow:

[quote=dce1511;1918007]Your request alone was very helpful. I had never reviewed these logs, and your request revealed the following in the “DVDFAB_burn_VSO-crash.log”

10/27/2007 1:04:00 AM error Write error at 0 (16) - Code 03 73 03 [Medium error, Power calibration fail (CD-burner is dirty)].

please pardon my newby-ness.

any recomendations on how to clean the burner, or will a standard off the shelf drive cleaning disk work?

Many thanx,
DCE:bow:[/quote]
I would just try some better media first, maybe some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

Thanx, but I was using verbatim