Fail to burn on Verbatim DVD+R DL disks

vbimport

I used Verbatim DVD+R DL disks made in Taiwan for a while with an external LG DVD writer (GSA 2164D). The successful rate was almost 100%. Recently, I‘ve been using India-made Verbatim DVD+R DL disks from two spindles with 80% failure rate. The two packages were purchased a couple of months apart, and they both have very similar problems after showing “Generating DVD borders completed successfully” which is the last step of the burning process with Nero 6.6012. When I used the LG writer, I got “Burn process failed at 2.4x” immediately. With Samsung internal DVD writer (SH-S202J/BEBN), I got the burnt successful message then the window froze when the “Done” button is hit. The burnt DVD could not be recognized by any DVD Roms and writers afterwards. BTW, my operation system is Windows XP Professional SP3 and the firmwares on the writers are up-to-date.

Here are my questions:

1. What may cause this to happen? How do I know for sure?
  2. What are the symptoms if it is disk issue?
  3. What are the symptoms if it is DVD writers’ issue?
  4. What are the symptoms if it is software issue?
  5. How do I resolve it besides buying different brands’ disks (I tried Fuji before but it didn’t work as well as Taiwan-made Verbatim)?

Thanks!

A couple of days ago, I was suggested to upgrade my Nero to the current version, which I did. I tried on disks from both spindles, and it seemed to resolve the issue that I had with the India-made Verbatim DVD+R DL disks for now. Even though I am still unsure about the cause of the whole episode (Nero 6.6 was working well with Taiwan-made disks), it is good to have a concrete answer rather than a band-aid solution. Apparently, burning software controls more than just types of disks it uses for. If I wasn’t told to do so, I would never have guessed. However, I am somewhat surprised that manufactures of the writers and disks did not know anything about this when I told them my problem.

There can be many different combinations of why one can not burn a disc,the writer manufactures do not have the knowledgable personel to help solve those problems.
You would think they should all know about updateing firmware though.

bean55