Factory drive not recognised

vbimport

I have a hp 7360n media center pc that I had a hp840b drive go bad in and I put in a samsung sh203n which seemed to work fine but now the factory dvdrom drive isn’t recognised in the device manager or my computer. This drvie was on the same ide cable as the 840b. The new drive is a sata drive. Here recently I was having a problem with a sound cycling out ot my speakers and everytime it cycled it would lag my mouse. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it but I thought I would put it in. It has now stopped. Could this be a motherboard or a power supply going bad? I really don’t know. I did scan for hardware changes but nothing showed up. I put a disc in and it spun up but then nothing happened, and it didn’t show up in explorer. Thanks in advance.:frowning:

PS I did use that drive (I don’t know if I should have) to scan a disc with dvd shrink to burn wiht the new samsung drive so it did work about two weeks ago.

Here is a link to the hp840 post if you want to look at that:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/hp-dvd-rw-combo-drive-not-recognising-cdrs-240350/

[QUOTE=shags72;2028058]I have a hp 7360n media center pc that I had a hp840b drive go bad in and I put in a samsung sh203n which seemed to work fine but now the factory dvdrom drive isn’t recognised in the device manager or my computer. This drvie was on the same ide cable as the 840b. The new drive is a sata drive. Here recently I was having a problem with a sound cycling out ot my speakers and everytime it cycled it would lag my mouse. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it but I thought I would put it in. It has now stopped. Could this be a motherboard or a power supply going bad? I really don’t know. I did scan for hardware changes but nothing showed up. I put a disc in and it spun up but then nothing happened, and it didn’t show up in explorer. Thanks in advance.:frowning:

PS I did use that drive (I don’t know if I should have) to scan a disc with dvd shrink to burn wiht the new samsung drive so it did work about two weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

You lost me does the Samsung have a IDE or Sata connector??? If the dvdrom is the single unit on the cable you should take the jumper off to tell the compute it is the only hardware on the cable itself. As for the sound what do you mean exactly? What size is the new drive itself and did you reboot with the computer to the factory settings? If you did that you should check HP site for your model and download their drivers and software updates. Be good if you be more specific if that is factory mouse that came with computer or replacement mouse you bought…What version of O/S are you running?

What size is the new drive itself and did you reboot with the computer to the factory settings?

I don't know what you are asking here, it is a dvd burner. Though the hard drive is sata also and it is a 300gb maxtor. What do you mean reboot to the factory settings?

The samsung is sata. It is alone on the ide cable but hp is factory set to cs so I didn't think I needed to set this. What do you think? 

The sound was like a bzzz lasting about one second and and cycled about every ten seconds. The mouse is a replacement logitech mx 700 wireless rechargeable.

I am using windows media center.

[QUOTE=shags72;2028091]I don’t know what you are asking here, it is a dvd burner. Though the hard drive is sata also and it is a 300gb maxtor. What do you mean reboot to the factory settings?

The samsung is sata. It is alone on the ide cable but hp is factory set to cs so I didn't think I needed to set this. What do you think? 

The sound was like a bzzz lasting about one second and and cycled about every ten seconds. The mouse is a replacement logitech mx 700 wireless rechargeable.

I am using windows media center.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the buzzing noise is from your floppy drive? Just load you bois and make your boot up order optical drive 1st then HDD 2nd. save changes and exit. You should be fine after this.:smiley:

THE C. I don’t have a floppy drive. In fact I have no open bays because of the stupid hp personal media bay. I don’t know about the buzz but it is gone for now. Maybe it was the dvd rom though it still lights up and sins up It just isn’t recognised by the computer.

Anything?

Please check the manual, post info about IDE and SATA connectors and how you have drives set up.

I don’t know what manual you are talking about. Sorry. I have the original dvd rom on the firtst plug on the ide cable with cs. The new samsung is a sata and hooked up I believe to the #2 sata port. My hd is a sata also and it is on the #1 sata port.

Now I had a hp 840b (actually a lg gsa 4166b) on the same ide cable and it went south on me. See post below. I don't know maybe I should run on a different ide port off of the mb? Now this is a hp computer and both original drives were cs and I haven't changed that on the dvd rom that is left in there that the computer is not recognising. Should I try to change that to something else like master? Thanks for the reply chef.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/hp-dvd-rw-combo-drive-not-recognising-cdrs-240350/

Hey I thought about this and looked at the cable and it said master on the end port and thought that maybe I should plug that end into the factory drive so I did that and it is recognised!! I will post back in a few days and let you know if this is a permanent fix or temporary band aid. Yee Haw!!! When I burn should I rip with this drive and burn with my samsung 203n? It is a asus dvd-e616a. Just a thought to maybe keep the wear off of it.

The manual for the computer/system.

Well it has been a week now and it is still there so I am happy! But I ask again should I rip with the burner drive and burn with it or should I rip with the dvd rom drive and then burn with the 203? Thanks again!