Facebook paid teenagers to get nearly full access to all data on their phone

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/facebook-paid-teenagers-to-get-nearly-full-access-to-all-data-on-their-phone-85895/

Facebook paid some of its users, including teenagers, with monthly gift cards valued up to $20 to get nearly full access to data on their phones. The company harvested the data on the phones with a special “Facebook Research” app that monitored the users’ internet traffic.

This is called responsibilities take a bite of the Apple and suffer years of them tracking you.

I’m confused. Why would Facebook need to make a “research” app to spy on people’s internet activity? I mean, pretty much every website already has a “like us on Facebook” widget, which allows Facebook to monitor the majority of the human race (literally! I wish I was exaggerating, but I’m not), so why do they need a special app to do that, when they’ve already been doing it for years?

Facebook has stated that its Facebook Research program is no secret and that the company doesn’t spy on users because participating users have given their permission to collect the data.

Translation: people gave us permission to spy, therefore it’s not spying.

Of these users, the parents would have given their permission to allow Facebook to collect data on their children.

Some people just aren’t cut out to be (good) parents.

The iOS version of the app has already been blocked by Apple, but the Android version of the app continues to exist.
[…]
Also this app had to be removed from the Apple App Store because it violated Apple’s privacy rules. The app is still available on the Google Play Store.

Gee, it’s almost like Google doesn’t care about the rights of it’s customers. But we all know that couldn’t happen, right? Right?