Facebook forbidden to continue tracking Belgian user traffic

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Facebook forbidden to continue tracking Belgian user traffic.

Facebook, the social networking site may no longer track the internet use of Belgian users. This was the verdict that was just handed down by a Brussels interim proceedings judge. The social networking site with millions of users has been given 48 hours to comply. If this does not happen and Facebook ignores the order, a penalty will be imposed of € 250.000 per day to the Belgian Privacy committee.

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/facebook-verboden-internet-verkeer-belgen-nog-langer-te-volgen-77744/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Uh, English, please?

lol woops. My bad, comin up :wink:

@MJPollard: Fixed and updated :slight_smile:

:smiley: Thank you!

Hopefully Facebook will be forced to stop tracking everyone. After all, it’s very hard for Facebook to refuse to track ONLY a certain region. After all, how does Facebook know the difference between Belgium users, and non-belgium users? I could be a Belgium user as far as Facebook knows.

As for everyone outside of Belgium (and possibly those in Belgium, again Facebook doesn’t always know where you are), I strongly recommend blocking Facebook from your browser. You can do so using Privacy Badger, certain ad blockers, or by modifying your pc hosts file.

PS: how much do you want to be that Facebook will be allowed to continue tracking users while they argue privacy in Belgium’s appeals courts?

Don’t use and never will use it… :smiley:

It ain’t that hard to determine where a user is from lol, just look at the IP and there’s your info. All those privacy violations etc are exactly why I refuse to even sign up for that crap. Never have used it and never will. Very fond of my privacy. The only networking site you can find me on its Google+ because it’s linked to my Google Android account, and even that one is empty, I only use it to follow a few dozen people and that’s it, never to post anything on it myself.

Facebook can be very beneficial though and I find it useful to keep up with friends and family abroad.

I have my security settings tied down but I never post anything I wouldn’t be happy with the whole world seeing which I reckon pretty much covers me even if their security fails.

[B]Wombler [/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2763174]Facebook can be very beneficial though and I find it useful to keep up with friends and family abroad.[/QUOTE]Bad parts is so can any Security Phobia country.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2763174]I have my security settings tied down but I never post anything I wouldn’t be happy with the whole world seeing which I reckon pretty much covers me even if their security fails.
[B]Wombler [/B][/QUOTE]That’s good but when there is a backdoor all ones security fails to stop the backdoors though. If they want to they will get to it. Your data is a Gold Mine to them.

Thanks for the english version [gøggeltransallador] did not produce anything meaningful. :slight_smile:

I think it is funny that many of the computer savvy in this forum do not use facebook as we are concerned about security and privacy.
I have not signed up either, but I do notice from time to time that after an installation is done, the web browser pops up with facebook in the address bar. No harm though as this user and computer never has and never will sign up or let anyone else enter the site for that matter.

Thinking of the massive user base though, I do believe more countries should follow Belgium’s brilliant example. It will be one small step in the right direction to regain everyones right to privacy. This one goes to Belgium :flower:

@Ch3vr0n: tell that to the NSA, who “accidentally” sweeps up info about American citizens during it’s “foreign” surveillance. On a routine basis. And then “accidentally” stores that information for an unknown amount of time, while sharing it with god-knows-who.