FabDVD HD Decypter not 'seeing' HD discs

vbimport

Hi all. This is my first post.

I have done a search on this forum and noted similar problems but had no luck finding a solution.

I have installed FabDVD HD Decrypter 4.1.2.0. basic version. I have also installed an xbox 360 HD-DVD drive on my PC. The drive installed successfully, going and finding the driver from Microsoft update.

FabDVD ‘sees’ ordinary DVDs when inserted in the drive and will happily rip them, but does not ‘see’ HD-DVD discs. You cant see them in the Source pull down menu. MS Windows Explorer can’t see the disc either as it doesn’t recognise the directory format.

I had previously installed the AnyDVD trial version, which did see the HD Discs but would stall after 4 or 5 minutes during ripping when some other activity may have been going on in my PC - seemed a bit temperamental. I have since uninstalled AnyDVD.

Is it the case that the basic version of FabDVD doesn’t have the HD function? Or it does and I have some other problem? Can anyone suggest a solution or point me in right the direction?

I am running an older PC with an Athlon 3500+ processor, 2.21 GHz 3.00GB RAM, a ATI Radeon 8500 display card and an EMU 1212 audio interface. I have XP SP2 with all latest updates. It is not my intention to play HD’s on this system, just to backup my discs in a server which is yet to be purchased for use with a HTPC system yet to be built. Just in the process of proving the ‘ripping’ process at the moment before committing more funds to this project - but not having much luck.

Appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Allan

Search the dvdfab forum there is a thread started about this. At the moment dvdfab has no support for HD or BluRay dvd’s. dvdfab used to with it’s dvdfab hd decryptor but then it stopped. Do a search for that thread I beleive the title is Anyone know if BluRay back is going to be possible soon.

Thanks GJ. However, I installed the UDF Reader (which I thought was only for windows explorer to read the disc files), and FabDVD HD decrypter worked - I was able to rip a japanese version of the Reign of Fire HD-DVD, which I have been hoping remove the japanese menus and set the english dialogue to default. But that is another project.

Regards,

Allan

I installed the UDF Reader … and FabDVD HD decrypter worked.

awesome :clap:, can we get confirmation from several other members having luck with this method, also some test with newer blu-ray disc? :slight_smile:

i would contribute, but dont own any hd or blu-ray. nor do i have a drive or player.

hey fourbigkids

will the toshiba udf driver work?

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/download_driver_details.jsp?service=UK&selCategory=2&selFamily=381&selSeries=171&selProduct=690&selShortMod=null&language=13&selOS=null&selType=null&yearupload=&monthupload=&dayupload=&useDate=null&mode=allMachines&search=&action=search&macId=&country=8&selectedLanguage=13&type=null&page=1&ID=54806&OSID=23&driverLanguage=42

Hi Troy,

I don’t know, I downloaded the one from digital-digest here:

It worked for me. I get the impression though, based on what I have read here, that there may still be a problem for newer discs and that FabDVD HD continues to have problems. The disc I tried is pretty old.

The computer is tied up at the moment while I work on a uni assignment. Will post again when I try a newer disc.

Regards,

Allan

[quote=fourbigkids;2044629]Thanks GJ. However, I installed the UDF Reader (which I thought was only for windows explorer to read the disc files), and FabDVD HD decrypter worked - I was able to rip a japanese version of the Reign of Fire HD-DVD, which I have been hoping remove the japanese menus and set the english dialogue to default. But that is another project.

Regards,

Allan[/quote]
Well nice to hear you got it to work. Would be nice if others could try this and report back like troy512 mentioned

The file from digital-digest is basically a stripped down from the original Toshiba UDF reader linked by troy512. The Toshiba UDF Reader is in zip file and contains two files: setup.exe and TVersion.xml. If you run the setup.exe it will say “It is not possible to install it in this PC” if your PC is not a Toshiba. However it will create two files in your %TEMP% folder which are: thdudf.inf and thdudf.sys (as in the link in digital-digest) and you can install it by right click on the .inf file and “install”.

Anyhow, I’ve tried the Toshiba UDF Reader long time ago and tried again just now and DVDFab HD Decrypter still doesn’t recognize Blu-ray/HD DVD disc. I don’t know how fourbigkids can do it but I tried with older hd dvd disc without any AACS as well but no go.

surely, HD is now an OBSOLETE format, so don’t hold your breath wating for better ripping to be developed.
Makes more sense for authors to focus exclusively on blu ray

[quote=cybmole;2045302]surely, HD is now an OBSOLETE format, so don’t hold your breath wating for better ripping to be developed.
Makes more sense for authors to focus exclusively on blu ray[/quote]

Hi cybmole,

Yes, that may be the case, but what I am trying to do is protect my $2000 investment in HD movies - by making sure that they can be stored and viewed into the future, long after my HD player has bitten the dust. My intent has always been to put all my movies on some mass storage device when it becomes sufficiently cheap and get rid of the players in my HT setup. Will do the same with bluray, DVD and whatever comes next.

Regards,

Allan

well at present the HD copy protection cannot be consistently beaten, so maybe you should buy a 2nd spare HD player in the final clearance sales, to protect your investment :slight_smile:

dvd audio with watermark protection was also an uncopyable format which is now dead.

althought that’s tough for folks who invested in the formats it’s good to see the vendors of over-proctective DRM going out of business.

I expect all of the HD movies will now get re-released in blu ray in the near future.

[quote=fourbigkids;2045283]It worked for me. I get the impression though, based on what I have read here, that there may still be a problem for newer discs and that FabDVD HD continues to have problems. The disc I tried is pretty old.

The computer is tied up at the moment while I work on a uni assignment. Will post again when I try a newer disc.

Regards,

Allan[/quote]
I still can’t get it to work. [B]Fourbigkids[/B], maybe some screenshots for us showing that DVDFab HD can see your blu-ray disc?

Hi zaina. Here is a copy of the screen shot of FabDVD HD Decrypter for Reign of Fire (the Japanese HD-DVD version). Doesn’t show much apart from “HD[]” in the source menu, “HD-DVD” in the quality menu and the size of the files. Just tried Matrix and it shows the same details. However, I also tried the more recent Heartbreak Kid to take another screen shot and FabDVD doesn’t see it. Looks like it is a bit hit and miss. Try an earlier disc and you might have some luck.

I haven’t tried Blu-Ray as I don’t have a drive for my computer. I’m using the x-box add-on.

Regards, Allan.

Thanks fourbigkids! So DVDFab can see (some) HD DVD disc!
I wonder what kind of protection in the Reign of Fire -Japaneese version?

Anybody else can try with their (old and new) movies, please?

Hi zaina, I think it can see alot of them but ripping them is another story, I have not really tried since the HD-DVD has been replaced, ( no new movies) but it may just work on selected titles, like you said if anyone has more feedback please respond, so we know which movies can actually be ripped to the hdd with the free hddecrypter.:iagree:

I thought fourbigkids can rip the disc? In the picture, the “Start” button seems clickable…

Maybe because it’s a toshiba UDF driver so it’s good only for hddvd drive? If you have a combo bd/hddvd then it won’t work?

Hi Alan, yes, it appears that those HD-DVD discs that I can ‘see’ with FabDVD HD Decrypter I can ‘rip’, although I have only tried it with reign of fire and the Matrix - which are early discs - which worked, and with Heartbreak Kid - a later disc - which I couldn’t ‘see’ and couldn’t ‘rip’.

Regards,

Allan

Glad that I found your thread. I also was having problems with HD DVD discs, as I tried to backup 4 or 5 of them, and DVDFab HD would start reading the disc, and then not find it. I can confirm that the Matrix (from Ultimate Edition for me) was found, and I was able to start ripping it to my hard drive. I stopped the process, as I was more curious than anything, but for some discs, it can be done. I don’t know if it’s an age thing, a copy protection thing, or what, but some can be seen, and others can’t (Pan’s Labyrinth, Evan Almighty and Balls of Fury were tried and failed). Maybe people want to post what can be done and what can’t… but that seems like a lot of work!!!

Maybe I shouldn’t post this, and mods, you can edit this out, but another HD DVD ripper, not freeware, had success at the above that I couldn’t do. That’s why I was confused by DVDFab HD…

Joe

[quote=fourbigkids;2049017]Hi Alan, yes, it appears that those HD-DVD discs that I can ‘see’ with FabDVD HD Decrypter I can ‘rip’, although I have only tried it with reign of fire and the Matrix - which are early discs - which worked, and with Heartbreak Kid - a later disc - which I couldn’t ‘see’ and couldn’t ‘rip’.

Regards,

Allan[/quote]

[quote=fourbigkids;2049017]Hi Alan, yes, it appears that those HD-DVD discs that I can ‘see’ with FabDVD HD Decrypter I can ‘rip’, although I have only tried it with reign of fire and the Matrix - which are early discs - which worked, and with Heartbreak Kid - a later disc - which I couldn’t ‘see’ and couldn’t ‘rip’.

Regards,

Allan[/quote]
Thanks for that fourbigkids, it seem to be selective in what discs it can see and rip. I wonder if you have any recent ( I know they are not making them anymore) discs. The list of HD-DVD discs are pretty limited so it shouldnt be hard to find out which ones work and why the others do not. Thanks for the feedback.

I figured what the heck, let’s get started on this. I placed the movies that I’ve opened so far each into the XBox 360 HD DVD drive, and looked to see which discs FabDVD HD Decrypter saw, and these are the results to date:

YES: 300, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Apollo 13, Batman Begins, Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, Happy Feet Combo, Hot Fuzz Combo, Knocked Up Combo, The Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, Matrix Revolutions, Planet Earth (disc1 at least), Shooter, Superman Returns Combo

NO: Balls of Fury, Bourne Ultimatum Combo, Evan Almighty, Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix, Pan’s Labyrinth, Pride & Prejudice, The Shining, Stardust, Transformers (both discs)