Fab Won't Run

vbimport

I have started this thread to help new user DARKSHARKX with some problems being experienced with DVDFab Platinum. His posts were getting lost in the 3.0.6.6. beta release thread. I have told him to look here. Hopefully when he finds the thread he will give us a summary of the trouble he is having. In the meantime I’ll try to find some of his earlier posts.

Here, I think. is the first post:

I can play SAW III on my computer as well using Nero Showtime. But my problem has been that ever since the Platinum 3 series came out, I can’t get it to run on my computer. It just locks up as soon as I bring it up and I have to remove the application to get my computer running right again – even restore the configuration. At first I thought I just had to wait for an upgrade so I just tried the newest upgrade when I saw it was out. Same results each time. I had been using DVD FAB Platinum 2.9.8.3 and up of the older version with no problem up to this point. But, of course, this SAW III issue is forcing me to finally really work to get the Platinum 3 series running. I’m running Windows XP Pro and have the system requirements to run the program. It seems to install with no issues. It just locks up as soon as I try to run it. Same with Decrypter. I’m thinking there might be some plug-in I’m missing or something like that. All my other CD/DVD software runs fine. I just can’t seem to figure this out. Any suggestions out there? I love the operation of the older DVD FAB Platinum versions and I really would like to graduate to the latest installments with everybody else. Please help.

Thanks.

My first questions are these:

1. What is the latest version of DVDFab Platinum that you have tried to install?
  2. Have you uninstalled the earlier (2.9.x.x) versions?
  3. Did Platinum ever work, or has it always had this problem?
  4. Have you tried a registry cleaner?
    Hopefully others will come along with additional thoughts as well. This is an unusual problem.

Thanks so much to [B]signals[/B] :bow: for your help so far with this. It’s a really annoying problem. Anyway, below are my posts about this so far. Hopefully someone has run into this or something similar. Thanks again! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the above messages about posts. I hope I’m posting this in the right section. Anyway, does anybody have any other suggestions about my previous post below? Help needed. Thanks! :slight_smile:

And yes – I get the same results with 3.0.6.6 Beta. :sad:
The Decrypter metioned below is DVD FAB Decrypter (latest version).
The old traditional decrypter (along with DVD Shrink and all the other software) run with no problems. I have never had AnyDVD installed on my computer and am running Win XP Pro SP2. The only other software I’ve had a problem like this with is RipIt4Me, which doesn’t recognize my drives (and I’ve tried all their suggestions on this – I think? :confused: ). The old DVD FAB Platinum 2 series has no problem checking my drives and running even now today. So I wonder what changed with Platinum 3 in this area? It just tries to check my source drive (that’s the message I get) and then just locks up.

Again, I’m just mentioning other programs so my problem can be better understood — no offense intended. :bigsmile:

Quote:
I can play SAW III on my computer as well using Nero Showtime. But my problem has been that ever since the Platinum 3 series came out, I can’t get it to run on my computer. It just locks up as soon as I bring it up and I have to remove the application to get my computer running right again – even restore the configuration. At first I thought I just had to wait for an upgrade so I just tried the newest upgrade when I saw it was out. Same results each time. I had been using DVD FAB Platinum 2.9.8.3 and up of the older version with no problem up to this point. But, of course, this SAW III issue is forcing me to finally really work to get the Platinum 3 series running. I’m running Windows XP Pro and have the system requirements to run the program. It seems to install with no issues. It just locks up as soon as I try to run it. Same with Decrypter. I’m thinking there might be some plug-in I’m missing or something like that. All my other CD/DVD software runs fine. I just can’t seem to figure this out. :rolleyes: Any suggestions out there? I love the operation of the older DVD FAB Platinum versions and I really would like to graduate to the latest installments with everybody else. Please help. :sad:

Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSHARKX
Thanks for the above messages about posts. I hope I’m posting this in the right section. Anyway, does anybody have any other suggestions about my previous post below? Help needed. Thanks!

What thread was the previous post in? I don’t want to repeat suggestions of things you might have already tried. Post a link to the thread, I will read what has been tried and post any new suggestions in that thread. This is apparently the SAWIII won’t copy thread. Just kidding alan

It was in this thread yesterday about 15-16 hours ago. Don’t worry. Anything you suggest I probably haven’t done since the only response I got so far was to make sure AnyDVD wasn’t installed (which never has been).
I thought I just needed to wait for another upgrade until this SAW III issue forced me to realize that I really need the Platinum 3 series. RipIt4Me kept giving the message, “[B][I]DVD Drive locked or not found.[/I][/B]” The RipIt4Me suggestions had to do with [I]their[/I] .ini file – and when that didn’t work I read some suggestions about hacking around in the registry but I didn’t do them because I wasn’t sure how safe it would be with [I][B]me[/B][/I] making the changes. I believe it must be something simple because older DVD FAB products work ok. Why can they read my drives and operate while the new version just locks when it opens and tries to do this?
So anyway, any ideas are welcome at this point. Thanks! :slight_smile:

P.S.: I’m not sure how to include a link to my original post or another thread yet. :o I would have done it for you, though – sorry.

So there you have it so far. Thanks again! :bigsmile:

1. What is the latest version of DVDFab Platinum that you have tried to install?
  2. Have you uninstalled the earlier (2.9.x.x) versions?
  3. Did Platinum ever work, or has it always had this problem?
  4. Have you tried a registry cleaner?
    Hopefully others will come along with additional thoughts as well. This is an unusual problem.

1. What is the latest version of DVDFab Platinum that you have tried to install? [B]—> 3.0.6.6 Beta[/B]

2. Have you uninstalled the earlier (2.9.x.x) versions? [B]—> Yes. I’ve tried unistalling first with no success and I’ve tried installing over the old version.
    Currently I have DVD FAB Platinum 2.9.8.3, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter (the old traditional version – not DVD FAB), Nero OEM 6.6.1.4 & Nero Digital 3.1.0.25 running fine on my computer right now under the Win XP Pro SP2 OS. [/B]

3. Did Platinum ever work, or has it always had this problem? [B]—> No. It has [I]always[/I] had this problem (the Platinum 3 series) from when I first realized it was available last year. I thought it was bug that would be fixed in an upgrade so I reinstalled 2.9.8.3, since it still was doing all I needed at the time with no problems.[/B]

4. Have you tried a registry cleaner? [B]—> No. Any instructions would [I]greatly be appreciated[/I]! :slight_smile: [/B] Hopefully others will come along with additional thoughts as well. This is an unusual problem.

[B]Thanks again for your help. :)[/B]

Great Job Signals, keep up the good work. :clap:

You are very welcome. But the problem is not solved yet! The signal-to-noise ratio will be much better here and more likely to attract additional help. Problems similar to the one you are experiencing have been traced in the past to (among other things) corrupt downloads, conflicts with background processes of other software (and not just anti-virus) and corrupt installs due to the installing user not having admin priveledges to write/modify files in the required directories. It is also possible that your registry has become a little trashed by all the installing and uninstalling. Here is a link to a free registry cleaner that my friend maineman has recommended hundreds of times to other users with great success. If you’re game, uninstall the old DVDFab stuff, run the reg cleaner and then download the new beta from the link in its thread and reinstall. Post back with the results.

@alan1476: looked like you had your hands full :bigsmile:

I second that alan, excellent job… :iagree:

@DARKSHARKX,
Re: registry cleaners, just click on Regseeker below in my sig…free, easy and reliable. As you install and run the app, you’ll see a small box…lower left corner “Backup before deletion”. It is checked by default…do Not uncheck!
As with all reg cleaners, best to backup data prior to use. I have used this app many times and have never had a problem…likewise I’ve recommended it to many a friend and user…never had a complaint, but no point in tempting fate… :eek:

First off, uninstall Fab…sounds like you have the regkey stored safely away (floppy, cd, ext hdd, etc.,).
Take a look at nero, if you have InCD installed, uninstall it. It’s packet writing software and will create problems.
With this sort of issue, sometimes it’s necessary to uninstall your optical drives as well…probably a good idea and only takes another minute or two…few clicks of the mouse.
Navigate to device manager via control panel. Click on IDE controllers. Generally, your burners are on the secondary IDE channel, but not always. (For eg., my burners are installed on a primary IDE channel…I have 4 sata hdds installed and I’ve outgrown this motherboard… :bigsmile: ).

Now run the reg cleaner. Reboot, xp will reinstall your burners no problem. Download Fab from Fentao’s site and do a new install.

Problems or questions, just holler.

Good luck and let us know…

[Edit]
Ok, ok signals…I should have known you’d be skulking about… :bigsmile:
You know I hate this getting old and slow thing…my typing really sucks… :o

I am using Mcafee anti-virus that updates everyday, but it was set to allow DVD FAB web access (series 2 and series 3 when one time it ran long enough to check for updates on start-up — it reported no updates and then tried to check the source drive and locked up again). I am the admin on my computer and can make all changes.

I will try this cleaner and post back . . . thanks. :slight_smile:

The cavalry has arrived!! Glad to see you survived Boston.

OT…sorry DARKSHARKX
Never, will I use mapquest again… :Z I c&p’d the address…ended up an hour and 45min from where we wanted to be…on Friday afternoon in Boston rush hour no less. I mean come on, I live in Maine…a traffic jam up here is stopping to let a herd of deer or brood of turkeys go by… :cool:

Wow! I just saw this! My burners are all firewire external – don’t think it will be a problem though. Ok I will try this. Thanks MAINEMAN! :slight_smile:

Ok I tried this but got the same result as before. I cleaned up using Regseeker with no problem after following the above instructions. DVD FAB Platinum 3 ran on the system for about 30 seconds until it locked up. Even though I had a DVD in one of my burners, it did not have any options for me to choose from in the [B]SOURCE[/B] drop-down. The drop-downs and buttons seemed to respond until I tried to browse my HD with the “folder” icon button. Then it froze. I had to [B]END TASK [/B] it to close it. :frowning: I tried to go to ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS but the app list wouldn’t populate. I went to System Properties and DEVICE Manager wouldn’t populate either. :eek: This is all typical for me with the Platinum 3 series so I wasn’t really alarmed. Things like this happened before which forced me to initiate a System Restore. I made a restore point before running Regseeker or doing any of this. :doh: Everything is back to normal. Of course, I have my original uncleaned registry that I had before. When I run System Restore, it puts back applications I removed as well and files that were deleted, so my old DVD FAB Platinum is back and running – near as I can tell. It’s not locking up and is reading my DVD’s, etc. I just don’t get this. Platinum 3 just doesn’t like my computer (or me). Why can’t we (all) get along? :confused: Seriously though, it seems to me that the program is doing something my computer doesn’t like. I’m leaning toward software conflicts at this point. Can [I]anyone[/I] help me on checking this? :sad:

Hello DARKSHARKX

When I first started using DVDFab Platinum it was when it was in the 2.9 version then version 3.0 came out I installed version 3.0 and instead of it over writing it the 3.0 version installed without overwriting version 2.9 and I had both version on my system.I said OK no big deal but when I went to use version 3.0 I got the lock-up some what like you are having now.And when I went to 'ADD and REMOVE to delete version 2.9 it was not showing up just version 3.0 so I had to manually remove it from my system but again I was still having the problem, anyway what I did to fix the issue was this…
1.) I uninstalled version 3.0 in ADD and REMOVE and I had already deleted version 2.9 manually so now both version was off my system.
2.) I opened up " C:/ WINDOWS / Prefetch " and deleted all the listings under DVDFabPlatinum ( which both versions was there ).
3.) I then went around and deleted all files/folders that was left on my PC for DVDFab that I could find even the PC Setup in “MY DOCUMENTS” that I could find I even opened up the hidden file called Application Data located here “C:/DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS/Owner/Application Data” and deleted the listings for the pcouffin (There are 4 listed by the way)

4.) Then I did the Registry Clean up and reinstalled DVDFab Platinum 3.0 and I had fixed my problem, you may want to try theses steps got nothing to lose but a problem RIGHT. :bigsmile:

Tim :cool:
PS… Hope this helps you out

Thanks [B]StormJumper[/B] --> I will be going through these steps today. I’m watching my niece and nephew today so I got my hands full. I will post the results as soon as I can. I appreciate your help on this!
Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Hey [B]StormJumper[/B] and everyone who’s helping!

Ok I tried all the steps above in order and [B]STILL GOT THE SAME RESULT[/B] with 3.0.6.6 Beta. All the steps seemed to run fine. Maybe I missed some stray DVD FAB files when trying to delete them all before reinstalling. I had to remove some of the files manually after uninstalling. The uninstaller reported that it could not remove all the files but they could be removed manually. So I followed the steps above and also removed all that I could find that seemed to be DVD FAB related. The only things I kept were the original, unopened 2.9.8.3 .exe file and the regkey file (by the way I have the regkey as a url that was sent to my e-mail when I first purchased - system restore always returns a working full version of 2.9.8.3). Then I ran Regseeker and kept back-ups. No problem there. So now no version of DVD FAB is on my computer at this point and the registry has been cleaned. 3.0.6.6 Beta installed with no issues that it reported - restarted per wizard instructions. Opened DVD FAB Platinum 3 and it tried to read my source media. It had all 3 of my burners as choices for target media. Then it froze again - in about 30 seconds. :frowning: No response to buttons at all. Task Manager reports the program as nonresponsive, so I finally I had to [B]END TASK[/B] it. The computer was acting funny again so I restored. Now I’m back to having 2.9.8.3 running ok on the computer - back where I was before. So again, maybe I’m missing some files that should have been deleted. I wonder if it’s possible for the program to check for older files and/or recognize conflicts during installation. Maybe that’s a little to much work but it might help. I do know it must be something with the program’s operation since all my other DVD software tools work. I’ve never had this kind of problem before with any program that I can remember - and each time I’m using a [I]fresh[/I] download of 3.0.6.6 Beta, just in case I got a bad downloaded copy. I also don’t think the problem is just with 3.0.6.6 Beta since [I]no version[/I] of DVD FAB Platinum 3 has [I]ever[/I] worked for me and all have crashed in the same way. It’s gotta be something it tries to do in the background right when it opens. Something that it can do on your computer but not on mine. And I gave it full access in McAfee virus protection so it can do whatever it needs to on the internet. I’m using a cable broadband connection as well. Still trying . . . help appreciated. :sad:

Bummer!!!
Dunno if you caught my comment on nero InCD and other packet writing software, but it seems you can’t even open the app to read… :confused:
I tried to locate Fengtao’s list of “conflicting software” for the old v.2.XXX. I know I have it archived somewhere but can’t seem to lay my hands on it. I recall some of the apps and also that it was similar to the infamous blacklist for the old and defunct dvdxcopy.
Some of 'em: InCD, Roxio, InterActual player (or the earlier PC Friendly…aka the not so friendly… :stuck_out_tongue: ), Easy CD Creator (old), norton Go Back…

Again, I may have missed it, but have you tried Fab with McAfee disabled (probably best to disconnect and exit out of McAffee. I know you’ve scanned ad nauseum, but you might want to tryAd-Aware

Hope this helps…I’ll give it some more thought and post back with any brainstorms.

One thing that was on the list as I recall were DVD-RAM drives. This is indeed discouraging. :frowning: /Entering Deep Analysis mode/

Do you remember any specifics re: RAM drives? I know matshita RAM drives were a problem, but I believe that matshita in general is still not supported by Fengtao. Reason I ask is that I use a Liteon SHM-165H6S (will read/write RAM, no problem). Primarily, the liteon is my read drive and my Benq 1655…my write drive. I do swap around though and have never encountered a probem with the liteon and Fab. My guess is that this RAM conflict like many of the conflicts, is not wholly inclusive or exclusive. Personally, this stuff seems like voodoo sometimes. I think we’ve all had the experince of “fixing” problems, never really knowing what the heck we did… :bigsmile:

Quite the… dilemma… :confused:

Hey [B]maineman[/B] & [B]signals[/B]!

The drives I’m using are NEC DVD-RW ND-3520A (max 8X), ND-1300A (max 4x) and ND-3550A max (16x). Nero INCD was never installed on my computer.
Am I the [I]only[/I] person running McAfee who is using DVD FAB Platinum3? Well, the program had full access and one time it even determined that there were no new updates when it started. Even then it just froze after that. I really don’t want to get rid of McAfee since I just renewed my upgrade subscription for my engine. I don’t believe McAfee is the [I]actual [/I] problem but I will try it with McAfee disabled. Maybe there is a setting in McAfee Security Center that has to be changed. Has anyone else had an issue between DVD FAB Platinum3 and McAfee? :confused: Near as I can tell, I’m not running any of the other questionable programs mentioned in earlier posts (and I never install Interactual Player or any of those apps that come with the DVD movie I buy). I am running Creative Disc Detector 2.0 in the tray. It’s never caused a problem with anything else, but I will try with this disabled as well. Ever heard of any conflicts with this program?