Fab to iPod help

On apple’s website, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302758#11, they say that using the MPEG-4 format (which I use) can be 480x480 and up to 2.5 Mbits/sec.

Every time I use Fab, when I use 480x480 the picture is always cropped in my iPod, but apple says the image should fill up the screen. It works great when I do 320x240 though. Also with Fab, I cannot convert at or above 768 kbps which apple says I should be able too. I can always do movies at say 767 kbps but if I put 768 or higher my file doesn’t work. The last thing I could use help on, aren’t dvds made with 30 frames per second? How come Fab then defaults to 29.97? Should I be using 30? Could anyone please help me with these problems? Sorry if this was hard to follow!

Hi Foxx
This is from the Apple turorial “How to Create Video for My iPod”:
By following the steps in this tutorial, QuickTime 7 Pro will automatically create an .m4v file containing H.264 video and AAC audio that is optimized for iPod. iPod can play the following video formats:

[ul]
[li]H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats[/li][li]H.264 video, up to 768 kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats[/li][li]MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats[/li][/ul]It looks like you may be using one of the H.264 profiles in DVDFab, not the MPEG-4, since your files are rejected at the H.264 cutoff point. As to the cropping, try choosing a screen size ratio that matches the source material, i.e. 1.8 for widescreen, 1.3 for 4:3. I think NTSC source material is actually encoded at 29.97 fps. This is the analog broadcast TV NTSC frame rate. Try both, probably won’t matter.

thanks signals,
ya I figured the frame rate thing really wouldn’t matter but I just wanted to check. As for encoding the files…I always check the MPEG-4 format in the DVDFab ipod config. screen. Um I guess if that isn’t making the right format, any ideas on how too then? Oh and I wanted to have the resolution higher so I could watch the iPod movies on a TV with a better picture. Supposedly the ipod should shrink the picture to fill up the screen but I keep getting a cropped one

Do you get the cropped effect on the iPod or the TV? I’m not clear on this. And describe the cropping–does it actually chop off parts of the picture or just the black bars, etc.??

I think he is referring to the Widescreen effect.:iagree: :iagree:

Hi, alan. :slight_smile: I though so too but on which device?? :confused:

hey I am talking about the picture being cropped on my iPod. Like even in widescreen mode there are black bars on the SIDES on the iPod…as well as the top and bottom as should happen with widescreen

Somebody with an iPod will have to help you with this. Some older (late 90s) DVDs (the 1st releases of Goodfellas and Event Horizon, probably others) produce this effect because of the way they were transferred from film. Have you tried a 4:3 aspect ratio (1.33 or so) in the screen size box? Try ripping just one title from something that hasn’t worked right as a test and choose one of the 1.3 sizes and see if it plays any better.

ok so I have a little update for this thread

the picture works absolutely fine when I use the 4:3 ratio. However, I was just curious because the apple store says that if I use a bigger resolution then the iPod should shrink the video to fill up the screen (which it hasn’t). Oh and I have tried the different aspects with The Notebook, Men of Honor, and Borat and keep getting the same results.

Also for my original post…it seems that if I change the title name in Fab I will get a messed up file. If I don’t change the name of the title in the config. screen then I can get the kpbs up to 2500, but then it seems the audio/video get outta sync. Weird? Thanks you guys :bow: :bow: :bow:

Apple’s tutorial recommends 1500-2000 kbps. There may be some internal setting on the iPod that is preventing the automatic resizing. :confused:

hmmm maybe…its up-to-date but your probably right. it doesnt matter. hey signals have you seen my borat thread that I posted? I could really use some help with that situation :slight_smile: