F1 2001

Does anyone know how to use CloneCD to copy EA’s F1 2001?

I have a 16X HP writer.

I tried to but the copy keeps on pausing for long periods during the installation process and it bombs out when it reaches the end of the installation.

Need some help with this one.

F1 2001 is protected by SD2.

Read settings - Fast Error Skip (3 retries, No Error Correction)

Write settings - AWS(if your burner doesnt do EFM)
Close Last Session

That should do the trick.

BTW, I was very disappointed with this title, buggy controls and average graphics, but thats just my opinion.

Oh and yes Future, i know you disagree on the FES settings, but the above have never let me down :wink:

Yes, I notice these things. You are quick on the uptake - google on “beta values” and see what you can find - explain the reason why some writers can produce working backups for themselves but not others. Ken Pohlman’s books have some good stuff as well…

I tried those settings but the CD fails during writing. It comes up with a “Write Medium” error message.

The CD’s i used was Dysan 700Megs and the other CD’s i used were Dysan as well But the ones with the Black surface, it looks like Playstation CD’s. 700Megs as well.

I checked at HP’s site for Updates for firmware perhaps but there is not any. And i’m sure my PC is setup right:

PC Specs:

VIA chipset Motherboard - PentiumII/III
Intel Celeron 850MHz CPU
512MB Ram
40gig Seagate Barracuda HD 7200RPM
GeForce 2 64MB MMX 400
48 speed Creative Labs CD-ROM
Hewlett Packard CDri 16 speed Internal CD Writer

CDr Software Currently installed:
Easy CD Creator 5.02c
CloneCD 3.2.3.1

Also i have all the necessary ASPI drivers installed. I dont know what else to think of.

Open for suggestions please.

Thanks

try using error correction to software

Originally posted by Slussh
I dont know what else to think of.
Try using a different CD-R brand… On http://leech.at/sd2brenner you can find a list of recorders that are reported to work with CloneCD’s ‘Amplify Weak Sectors’ option.

Tried all settings possible but still im having the same problem. I even Done my system over last night and i only installed CloneCD 3.3.2.1 because i thought perhaps that CloneCD was Clashing with EasyCD Creator 5.02c. Still no luck…received the same error message “Write Medium Error”.

One thing i havent tried yet was to use different CD-R brands, iv’e only been using Dysan. The reason why i like Dysan is because i’d write more coasters with Verbatim’s than Dysan.

One thing i forgot to mention when taking the image off with CloneCD is that the Log file says that my hardware does not support current Fast Error skip settings and it changes the Fast Error skip settings automatically to Hardware Control with 0 Retries.

Still open for suggestions please…

Originally posted by Slussh
One thing i forgot to mention when taking the image off with CloneCD is that the Log file says that my hardware does not support current Fast Error skip settings and it changes the Fast Error skip settings automatically to Hardware Control with 0 Retries.
This is no problem:

Originally posted by Truman
[B]CloneCD does not automatically change the setting back. The setting couldn’t be set in the first place. The description in the log about changing back to hardware error correction setting is wrong. It should really say something like this:“Cannot change drive to software error correction mode, drive is still set in hardware error correction mode.”

Anyway, this doesn’t affect SD2 backups - because CloneCD will replace unreadable sector with another made up unreadable sector - you can see these by using a hex editor on the CD image. The unreadable sectors are filled with hex values 55h. SD2 can read them so it doesn’t know they are different.

If you really want to know the difference here it is:

The difference is that if your drive supports setting to software error correction and the none setting the drive can actually read corrupted sectors with C2 or EDC/ECC errors and therefore be able to copy those corrupted sectors. Currently it seems only Plextor drives can support this. [/B]
You see? :wink: I would still suggest you use a different brand of CD-R’s. Try to use proper media like Philips or something.

:smiley:

Thanks Very much G@M3FR3@K. Something i should have tried long time ago and that is a different CD-r brand, but i did not think it mattered very much. I went out and i bought HP’s very own CD-R’s seeing that my writer is an HP, 16X speed 700Megs CD’s, i only purchased two though. I one popped the CD in and it wrote perfectly. Now i know that my writer supports SD2 burning as well.

So from now on i know i should use HP CD-R’s when backing up Copy protected discs and it would probably be okay to use any other brands for normal backups.

Thanks a million G@M3FR3@K and to all those who gave me advise. :wink:

No problem :slight_smile:

Some writer are just more ‘picky’ when it comes to used media than others…