F.A.Q. for LiteOn Optical Drives (updated on 18 October 2012)

F.A.Q. for LiteOn Optical Drives

This F.A.Q. aims to address some of the commonly asked questions about LiteOn drives. Please read the F.A.Q. before posting in the forum.

If you would like to send feedback or contribute to this F.A.Q., please feel free to send a private message to one of the moderators of the LiteOn forum.

Information is meant to be free, so you may copy this F.A.Q., adapt it, and do whatever you wish with it, as long as you follow the terms stated here.

Before You Begin…

If you have questions about LiteOn CD-RW drives, please read [THREAD=42344]this F.A.Q.[/THREAD] by OC-Freak!

If you have questions about a LiteOn DVD-writer, please read the [THREAD=118794]F.A.Q. for PC DVD-Writers[/THREAD] to see if your question has already been addressed there.

If you are troubleshooting a drive, please read [THREAD=92320]this troubleshooting guide[/THREAD] to see if it helps.

Please acknowledge that this FAQ has been in existence for quite some time. The first post in the thread (this post) covers the era from 24x CDRW drives before 2004 up to 16x DVD-RW drives in 2006, with much of the information still being relevant for newer drives. Any additional information regarding newer drives will be included in newer posts.

Table of Contents

[LIST=I]
[li]General Questions[ol]
[/li][li] What is an OEM rebadge? What are some of the known OEM rebadges of LiteOn drives?
[/li][li][DVD-Writers] Can I get an overview of the different LiteOn DVD-writers?
[/li][li][Reviews] Where can I find reviews of LiteOn drives?
[/li][li][Copy-protection] Are LiteOn burners good for backing up copy-protected discs?
[/li][li][DVD-ROMs] Where are LiteOn’s official DVD-ROM support pages?
[/li][/ol]

[li][B]Troubleshooting[/B]

[/li][ol]
[li]I misflashed my drive. Is it dead?
[/li][li] [DVD-Writers] My drive does not do anything. It just gives off an orange (or green) blink all the time.
[/li][li]Why is my drive burning and/or reading so slow and poorly?
[/li][li][DVD-Writers] My x51S@832S (or x51S@812S) does not recognize any blank media!
[/li][li][DVD-Writers] My SOHW-1633S/1653S has difficulties with CD media.
[/li][li][DVD-Writers] My drive has problems with burning double-layer media.
[/li][li][DVD-Writers] I get a “communication error” when burning with my 16x DVD burner.
[/li][li]The LiteOn utilities (SMART-BURN, BookType, KProbe, etc.) do not work.
[/li][/ol]

[li][B]Media[/B]

[/li][ol]
[li][DVD-Writers] Where can I get a DVD media support list for my LiteOn drive?
[/li][li][DVD-Writers] What DVD media should I use with my LiteOn DVD burner?
[/li][li]How do I use bitsetting (change the booktype) with LiteOn drives?
[/li][li]What ultra-speed CD-RW media should I use with my burner?
[/li][/ol]

[li][B]Firmware[/B]

[/li][ol]
[li]Where can I get LiteOn firmwares?
[/li][li]How do I flash my firmware?
[/li][li]Should I check “update bootcode” when flashing with LtnFW in Windows?
[/li][li]Are there any differences between external and internal firmwares?
[/li][li]How is the SOHW-1633S with the enhanced firmware from LiteOn IT USA any different from a SOHW-1653S?
[/li][/ol]

[li][B]Advanced Topics: Modding, Overclocking, Tools, etc.[/B] 

[/li][ol]
[li]How do I make my drive region-free (RPC-1)?
[/li][li]Do LiteOn drives have riplocks? How do I read DVDs faster?
[/li][li]What is crossflashing (overclocking)?
[/li][li]Where do I find any software tools for my pre-2007 drive?
[/li][li][CD-Writers] Can I crossflash my drive? If so, how?
[/li][li][DVD-Writers] What models can be crossflashed? How exactly do I crossflash?[][DVD-Writers] My drive does not support burning double-layer media. How can I add this support?[][DVD-Writers] Is it really true that my LDW-451S/851S can be crossflashed to a SOHW-832S?[]What is FlashFixing? How is it different from crossflashing and crossflash patching?[][DVD-Writers] Can I burn DVD±R discs faster than their rated speed (overspeeding)?[]What is the EEPROM? How is it different from the firmware?[]What is an unscrambled firmware? Why would I want to use it?[]How do I add support for an unsupported media type to my firmware?[/ol]
[/li]
[li]Hyper Tuning (HT), Over Speed (OS) and Online Hyper Tuning (OHT) [ol][
]What is Over Speed (OS)?[]Will OS let me write every 16x rated media at 20x?[]What is Hyper Tuning (HT) and why do I need it??[]Will my drive store strategies or replace existing strategies with these “learned” strategies?[]What is Online Hyper Tuning (OHT)[]At this moment the following drives support HT/OS/OHT:[]How can I enable HT/OS/OHT?[]How do I enable OHT, I can’t find the option to enable it in SmartBurn[]OHT is not working when burning at 20x speed, is something wrong with my drive?[]I have enabled HT/OS using the SmartBurn Tool. How can I check if the drive burns in HT/OS mode?[]Will my drive remember these settings after I reboot my PC?[/ol]
[/li][/LIST]

General Questions

Q: What is an OEM rebadge? What are some of the known OEM rebadges of LiteOn drives?
A: An OEM rebadge is when a brand-name customer purchases drives from LiteOn to sell under their own brand name. For example, the Sony DRU-700A is an OEM rebadge of the LiteOn SOHW-832S. It is designed and manufactured by LiteOn and its hardware is identical to that of the SOHW-832S, but it has a Sony sticker label, a Sony faceplate, a Sony name and logo, and a (usually heftier) Sony price tag.

For a list of rebadged LiteOn CDRW drives (and a few early DVDR/RW drives), go to this page.

For a list of rebadged LiteOn DVD-writers, go to this page. This list covers drive models from the era where 16x was the maximum single layer DVD write speed; 18x and above are not listed.

Q: [DVD-Writers] Can I get an overview of the different LiteOn DVD-writers?
A: Please take a look at this page.

Q: Where can I find reviews of LiteOn drives?
A: Please see post #2 below. (Or click here).

Q: Are LiteOn burners good for backing up copy-protected discs?
A: Yes! LiteOn drives excel at backing up copy-protected CDs because they support the correct EFM encoding of regular bit patterns. All LiteOn burners qualify as 2 or 3 [THREAD=101608]sheep[/THREAD] burners.

Q: [DVD-ROMs] Where are LiteOn’s official DVD-ROM support pages?
A: For the SOHD-167T and newer drives, firmware updates are located on LiteOn’s DVD-ROM firmware page. For older DVD-ROM drives, (i.e., the LiteOn LTD-166S / JLMS XJ-HD166S or older), please visit the JLMS website. For the really old LTD-122, there is no official support page, but digi maintains an unofficial support page for it.

Troubleshooting
If you are having problems with a DVD-writer, it may be a good idea to read [THREAD=92320]this troubleshooting guide[/THREAD] first.

Q: I misflashed my drive. Is it dead?
A: One advantage of drives (such as LiteOn drives) based on a MediaTek chipset is the ability to recover from a misflash using MtkFlash in DOS. Please read this guide for more information.

(Need help with booting to DOS? The Firmware Flashing Bootdisk might be useful.)

Q: [DVD-Writers] My drive does not do anything. It just gives off an orange (or green) blink all the time.[/B]
A: There are two common causes of this problem:

Did you try to make your drive region-free using RPCDE2 (or RPCDE or liteonutil)? Unless you have an older drive (i.e., the LiteOn LTD-163D / JLMS XJ-HD163D or older), you should not use RPCDE2 (use LtnRPC instead) because RPCDE2 can corrupt a drive’s EEPROM, which can cause this blinking light problem. Fortunately, this can be fixed using the EEPROM Utility.

Did you try to convert/crossflash your drive (e.g., flashing a SOHW-812S into a SOHW-832S)? If so, did you remember to patch the firmware for crossflashing? If you did not, your drive will not work and you will get this blinking light. Patch the firmware using [THREAD=97590]OmniPatcher[/THREAD] and re-do the flash.

Q: Why is my drive burning and/or reading so slow and poorly?
A: Please download and run KProbe2, and under the “Info” menu, select “Drive.” Query the drive and notice the burst rate of the drive. If the burst rate of your drive is less than 20 MB/s, then you have a problem with how your system is interfacing with the drive. Almost always, this translates to DMA not being enabled for your drive in your system configuration, which leads to slower reading and writing speeds and poor write quality. To learn more about DMA and how to turn it on, please refer to [THREAD=101616]this guide[/THREAD].

Q: [DVD-Writers] My x51S@832S (or x51S@812S) does not recognize any blank media!
A: Make sure that you have applied the crossflashing patch using [THREAD=97590]OmniPatcher[/THREAD] version 1.3.14 (or newer).

Q: [DVD-Writers] My SOHW-1633S/1653S has difficulties with CD media.
A: There seems to be a batch of LiteOn drives with defective optical pickup units that have difficulties with CD media. Send your drive in for a replacement.

Q: [DVD-Writers] My drive has problems with burning double-layer media.
A: First, make sure that your media is supported by your drive’s firmware. Find out what your disc’s [THREAD=93797]media code[/THREAD] is and see if this media code is supported by your current firmware. If it is not, you should upgrade to the latest available firmware.

If your firmware supports this media type, and you still have problems, check the disc for any physical defects. Because the manufacturing process for double-layer media is complex and difficult (Mitsubishi reported in the summer of 2004 that they have a yield of only 50%; half of their production did not pass quality control), there is a fair chance that a defective disc may have not been caught by quality control. Although this does not happen very frequently, it does happen more often than with single-layer media. Finally, if you are using RiTEK DVD+R DL (RiDATA, TraxData, etc.), please use something better and more reliable.

Q: [DVD-Writers] I get a “communication error” when burning with my 16x DVD burner.
A: If you are using a 40-conductor IDE cable, switching to an 80-conductor cable might help.

[google]80-conductor cable[/google]

Q: The LiteOn utilities (SMART-BURN, BookType, KProbe, etc.) do not work.
A: This is often caused by ASPI problems. If you are using ASPI, make sure that you are using version 4.6 and not 4.7.

Resources: [THREAD=101614]ForceASPI[/THREAD], [CDFSEARCH]ASPI problems[/CDFSEARCH]

In the case of ASPI problems with the LiteOn BookType Utility, some users have reported better luck with using DVD Decrypter’s bitsetting feature instead.

Media

Q: [DVD-Writers] Where can I get a DVD media support list for my LiteOn drive?
A: The list of supported media varies between firmware versions. The best way to get a media support list is to backup your drive’s firmware to a file using LtnFW and then use [THREAD=97590]OmniPatcher[/THREAD] to extract the list of supported DVD media codes and their burn speeds.

Q: [DVD-Writers] What DVD media should I use with my LiteOn DVD burner?
A: Please refer to this thread: [THREAD]103664[/THREAD]

Q: [DVD-Writers] How do I use bitsetting (change the booktype) with LiteOn drives?
A: With a few exceptions (e.g., the SOHW-802S and the SOHW-822S), bitsetting on LiteOn drives and rebadged LiteOn drives work like this:

[ul][li]There is a setting stored in the drive’s memory that tells the drive what booktype to use whenever it burns a disc.;
[/li][li]By default, this setting is set to “Normal” (i.e., keep +R discs as +R and +RW discs as +RW).;
[/li][li]The official LiteOn BookType Utility can be used to change this setting. Because all burns will be burned using the current setting, once you change the setting, all subsequent burns will be burned using the new setting without the need to take any further action.;
[/li][li]On the screen of this tool, “Current Disc Type” represents the physical disc type of the inserted disc. “Current Disc Booktype” represents the current booktype written on the disc, or if the disc is not written, it will display the current physical disc type. Hint: You can use this to check the booktype of a burned disc. “Change booktype to” is a bit misleading, and it represents the current booktype setting of the drive. Selecting a different setting from the drop-down and clicking “Change” is what changes the current drive setting. Remember, as mentioned above, the current drive setting simply represents what booktype will be used the next time a disc is burned. The “Write Now” button is only for DVD+RW media and is explained in a later bullet.;
[/li][li]There is, however, one important caveat. For a number of the older drives/firmwares, this setting is stored in volatile memory and is lost whenever the drive is reset (system reboot, firmware flash, etc.). Thus, when the drive is reset, the booktype setting will revert to the default setting (i.e., “Normal”).
[/li]
For people who want all of their discs to be booktyped, this causes a problem because they will need to remember to change the setting every time the drive resets.

[THREAD=97590]OmniPatcher[/THREAD]'s auto-bitsetting patch changes this default setting from “Normal” to “DVD-ROM” so that when a drive is reset, the setting will revert to “DVD-ROM” instead of to “Normal.” Since auto-bitsetting only changes the default setting that the drive reverts to after a reset, it is still possible to use the LiteOn BookType Utility to change the settings around on a drive with a patched auto-bitsetting firmware.

For the newer firmwares (CS07 or newer, BS0R or newer, and BS41 or newer, to name just a few) that use non-volatile memory (i.e., the EEPROM) to store the setting, the booktype setting is not lost after a reset, and as such, it does not make any sense to have a patch that changes the default revert-to-after-reset setting, and the auto-bitsetting patch is thus not available for these newer firmwares. For these newer firmwares, just set the booktype once using the official utility and forget about it, even after reboots. :wink:

[li]Because changing the booktype involves writing data to a disc, it is not possible to change the booktype of a recordable disc after it has been burned. For rewritable media, however, it is possible to change the booktype of burned media by using the LiteOn BookType Utility’s “Write Now” button, if your firmware is new enough to support this feature.[/ul]
[/li]

Q: What ultra-speed CD-RW media should I use with my burner?
A: There are not many makers of CD-RW media, especially ultra-speed CD-RW media. The general consensus is that the (pricey) Verbatim CD-RW media is the best. Memorex’s 24x CD-RW media should be avoided! While the Memorex brand can generally be trusted, Memorex rebrands Infodisc’s 24x CD-RW, and Infodisc’s CD-RWs are some of the worst out there (when neither LiteOn nor Plextor can write to them reliably, you know that it is bad).

Firmware

Q: Where can I get LiteOn firmwares?
A: [INDENT]Official Downloads

[ul][li]LiteOn IT Taiwan HQ
[/li][li]LiteOn IT USA Branch
[/li][li]JLMS Downloads[/ul]
[/li]
Unofficial Downloads

[ul][li]rpc1.org’s Firmware Database (the biggest and best there is!)
[/li][li]dhc014’s Webpage (stock firmwares)
[/li][li]codeguys’ Webpage (modified firmwares and some stock firmwares)
[/li][li]digi’s Webpage (DVD-ROM firmwares)[/ul]
[/li]
For official downloads of OEM rebadged firmwares, please visit the official website of the brand.

Q: How do I flash my firmware?
A: There are basically three ways to do this. The first is to use the Windows firmware flasher built into the firmware package (this is the most common way). If your firmware exists in a raw form (i.e., a .BIN file) without a firmware flasher, you can use either LtnFW (Windows, easy-to-use, models prior to the 5S model, without a serial flash) or MtkFlash (DOS, harder-to-use, but can be used for dead drive recovery, models prior to the 5S model, without a serial flash) or for drives with a serial flash (5S, 6S, etc.) XSF (DOS, harder-to-use, but can be used for dead drive recovery) to flash.

Q: Should I check “update bootcode” when flashing with LtnFW in Windows?
A: Yes but LtnFW only flashes drives prior to the 5S model. Later models use a serial flash which is not supported by LtnFW.

Q: Are there any differences between external and internal firmwares?
A: No. For example, the firmware for a LDW-851S and a LDW-851SX are 100% identical.

Q: [DVD-Writers] How is the SOHW-1633S with the enhanced firmware from LiteOn IT USA any different from a SOHW-1653S?
A: There is no difference. The SOHW-1633S and SOHW-1653S are identical in terms of hardware. For the international market, LiteOn decided to release the 12x -R upgrade as a separate drive, the SOHW-1653S. For the American market, LiteOn decided to not release it as a separate drive, but instead, as a firmware upgrade, available from the LiteOn IT USA website. This “enhanced” SOHW-1633S firmware is actually just a SOHW-1653S firmware with the drive name changed, and as such, the BS4x “enhanced” firmwares behave and perform like the SOHW-1653S CSxx firmwares (complete with the quirks of the SOHW-1653S firmwares such as the intermittent -R leadin bug) and not like the SOHW-1633S BSxx firmwares.

Please refer to [THREAD=120151]this thread[/THREAD] for more information.
[/indent]

Advanced Topics: Modding, Overclocking, Tools, etc.

Q: How do I make my drive region-free (RPC-1)?
A: There are two tools that can perform the region-freeing task. The first is LtnRPC. Alternatively, you can use KProbe2, which has a built-in tool for region-freedom that works just like LtnRPC. Please note that removing a drive’s region protection is only the first step in making your system region-free (more info). For more information about DVD regions, RPC-1, and RPC-2, please read this guide.

Q: Do LiteOn drives have riplocks? How do I read DVDs faster?
A: First, LiteOn drives do not have video riplocks. Instead, LiteOn drives have a feature called SMART-X, which is designed to automatically slow down the reading speed if data is requested at a slow rate. This way, the drive will slow down when playing a movie (as the movie player does not require data to be delivered at a very fast rate) and will read at the maximum speed when it is ripping (as ripping software will request data as fast as it can). Normally, this works quite well, but it is not perfect, and there have been cases where a drive read at a locked rate when ripping and there have been cases where a drive did not slow down when playing back a movie. Because SMART-X works well most of the time, there are no modified firmwares with feature disabled.

However, LiteOn drives do have very conservative media-based read-speed limits (LiteOn seems to prefer to err on the side of caution). In many LiteOn drives, the reading speed for recordable/rewritable DVD media is limited to 8x even though the drive is perfectly capable of reading the media at a faster speed. And as with all other drives, the reading speed for dual-layer media (pressed and recordable) is also limited. These media-based speed limits can be overridden through the use of hacked firmwares.

For the relaxing of media-based DVD read-speed limits…

Q: What is crossflashing (overclocking)?
A: LiteOn models that share the same hardware could interchange firmwares. For a number of LiteOn drives, the feature set is not determined by the hardware, but instead, by the firmware, allowing you to convert between models by changing the firmware.

Q: Where do I find software tools for my pre-2007 drive?
A: In a now-archived read first, there is a list of tools used with LiteOn CDRW and early LiteOn DVDRW drives (The Comprehensive LiteOn Tools Collection). Many of these tools, if available, are no longer actively maintained, and as such will not work on your recent drives.

Select tools (not listed in that thread) will work with LiteOn DVDRW drives from 2008-2012 (and select BDRE drives), as well as some of the drives available from 2005-2008; these tools are available on the CodeGuys website: EEPROM Utility, Flash Utility, Settings Utility, and (for use with select versions of Nero CD-DVD Speed/DiscSpeed) Jitter Speed Setting tool. Please make use of the search function should the discussion topics for these tools not be readily available in the LiteOn subforum index.

Q: [CD-Writers] Can I crossflash my drive? If so, how?
A: For the crossflashing/overclocking of CD-RW drives, please refer to the [THREAD=42344]original LiteOn F.A.Q.[/THREAD] and dhc014’s firmware page for more information.

Q: [DVD-Writers] What models can be crossflashed? How exactly do I crossflash?
A: First, you should read this overview of LiteOn drive families and generations (pay special attention to the text at the top, before the list!) to get a good idea of what you can and cannot do. Once you have done that, you can check out the crossflashing how-to guide.

Q: [DVD-Writers] My drive does not support burning double-layer media. How can I add this support?
A: If there is a drive model in your drive’s drive family (see the above questions) that supports double-layer burning, flashing to it would give you the ability to burn double-layer media. For example, if you have a 2S drive (such as the LDW-451S or a SOHW-812S), you should crossflash it to a SOHW-832S, and if you have a SOHW-1213S or a SOHW-1613S, a SOHW-1633S or SOHW-1653S firmware would do the trick. See the above question for instructions.

Q: [DVD-Writers] Is it really true that my LDW-451S/851S can be crossflashed to a SOHW-832S?
A: Yes. As this list indicates, the LDW-451S and LDW-851S are in the same family as the SOHW-832S, so it is possible. But unlike the other crossflashes, there are some special things to make note of about this crossflash (which is why this is getting a F.A.Q. entry of its own ;)). For more information, please refer to the first four posts of [THREAD=100956]this thread[/THREAD].

(And no, this is not possible with the LDW-401S/411S/811S.)

Q: What is FlashFixing? How is it different from crossflashing and crossflash patching?
A: There are two different levels of protection against crossflashing. The first is at the firmware flashing level. The official LiteOn firmware flashers will not allow you to flash a firmware onto a drive that does not identify itself as the correct model (e.g., it will refuse to let you flash a SOHW-832S firmware onto a SOHW-812S drive). The official flashers will also not allow you to downgrade your firmware (e.g., it will not let you flash the VS0B firmware onto a drive with VS0E). This protection is implemented in the flashing software and works by simply checking the drive name and firmware version. There are two ways to get around this problem. One way to do this is to FlashFix the firmware flasher so that it will not perform the drive name and firmware version checks. Most of the flashers found on the codeguys firmware page have already been FlashFixed! Another way to get around this problem is simply to flash using another piece of software, such as LtnFW or MtkFlash.

The second level of protection (which is present only in DVD-writers) is an internal drive identification (usually in the form of a unique checksum) stored in the EEPROM, which is unaffected by firmware flashes. This level of protection is not carried out by software, but by the firmware, which checks this identification to make sure that the drive is not crossflashed. The [THREAD=97590]OmniPatcher[/THREAD] can be used to patch the firmware so that it does not perform this check. Because this internal drive identification in the EEPROM is not altered by firmware flashes, it is necessary to make sure that any non-native firmware that you load (i.e., a SOHW-1653S firmware being loaded onto a SOHW-1633S drive) has this check removed, even if the drive has been previously crossflashed.

Q: [DVD-Writers] Can I burn DVD±R discs faster than their rated speed (overspeeding)?
A: Yes, you can do this by patching the firmware with [THREAD=97590]OmniPatcher[/THREAD]. Please keep in mind, however, that burning media above its rated speed may sometimes produce undesirable results. Overspeeding is not for all media types (it works best with quality media), and you should check your results to make sure that the quality is acceptable. Additionally, it is highly recommended that you overspeed media through the use of [THREAD=100190]write strategy changes[/THREAD], as that generally produces better results than just ticking the high-speed boxes.
For 5S and 6S series drives, Lite-On now has added a OverSpeed function to their Smart-Burn tool. For more information please see the HyperTuning and OverSpeed section of this F.A.Q

Q: What is the EEPROM? How is it different from the firmware?
A: The EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) is a small amount (only 1 Bib in size) of non-volatile memory (i.e., it retains its data even when the drive is powered down). The EEPROM for each drive is unique because it contains factory-set laser calibration data for that specific unit. As a result, it is not a good idea to exchange EEPROMs. In addition to laser calibration data, the EEPROM also stores other data, including learned laser calibration data, DVD region settings, booktype settings (only for certain drives/firmwares), and drive identification data. More information about the EEPROM on LiteOn drives can be found [THREAD=112103]here[/THREAD].

Q: What is an unscrambled firmware? Why would I want to use it?
A: Starting in mid-2004, LiteOn started to scramble all of the firmwares that they officially release. This scrambling prevents the extraction of a firmware from the official firmware flasher and also prevents a firmware from being patched (as patching tools only work on unscrambled firmwares). Once flashed to your drive, a scrambled firmware is identical to an unscrambled one. This is because LiteOn’s official scrambled firmware flasher automatically unscrambles the firmware during the flashing process. So the end result of flashing using an official scrambled firmware flasher and flashing using an unscrambled firmware flasher is the exact same. So why would you ever want to use an unscrambled firmware? If you want to patch the firmware for crossflashing or media hacking, you must use an unscrambled firmware.

Q: How do I add support for an unsupported media type to my firmware?
A: Firmwares for older drives sometimes lack support for some of the latest media types (this is especially true for the old LDW-401S/411S/811S drives). If a firmware update that contains support for a certain media type is not available, you can add support for this unsupported media type yourself. (n.b.: A media code is “unsupported” if it does not appear in the firmware’s media table; a media code that exists in the table but that burns poorly is just poorly supported, but not “unsupported”.) Note: This only works for 3S and older models as OmniPatcher does not support drives after this.

[INDENT]1/ Make sure that you are using [THREAD=97590]OmniPatcher[/THREAD] version 2.3.0 or newer.

2/ Find the [THREAD=93797]media code[/THREAD] of the unsupported media type (which you should have done so already because how else would you know if the media is really unsupported by the firmware?).

3/ Obtain a copy of your drive’s firmware. You can do this either by backing up the firmware currently in your drive or downloading from the Internet a suitable unscrambled (see above) firmware for your drive.

4/ Load this firmware into OmniPatcher. Find a media code of the same type as the unsupported code that you will never use and select this code. For example, if you have a LDW-811S and you want to add the “FUJIFILM03” media code, then you should look for a -R code (since “FUJIFILM03” is -R) that you will probably never use (such as “Auvistar”, as I do not think I have ever seen anyone use this media before) and select it.

5/ Click “More Commands” and select the option to “Rename this code using a media code block dump.” Follow the on-screen instructions to input the media code block of the unsupported media type. Alternatively, you can perform the rename manually using the text boxes on the right if you already know the exact media code (with precise punctuation and capitalization).

6/ This is an important step! You must now double-click on the media code that you just renamed and select a suitable write strategy. Please consult the [THREAD=100190]changing write strategies results thread[/THREAD] for more information and for an idea of what write strategy would be suitable for this media type. But what if OmniPatcher does not allow you to reassign a write strategy for this media type (e.g., if dealing with a RW media type)? If this is the case, then in Step 4, you should select the media code of the “host” strategy (which would effectively remove support for that media type, but for situations where OmniPatcher’s strategy reassignment is not available, this is your only option).

7/ Save the firmware and then flash the patched firmware that you have just created.

8/ Test it out to see how well it works. Posting your results in the [THREAD=100190]changing write strategies results thread[/THREAD] would be appreciated. If the strategy that you selected did not work, you may have to try another until you get one that works.
[/indent]

Hyper Tuning (HT), Over Speed (OS) and Online Hyper Tuning (OHT)

Q: What is Over Speed (OS)?
A: OS can let you burn a disc one level above its rated speed (4x–>6x, 6x–>8x, 8x–>12x, 12x–>16x or 16x–>18x) . So if you have a 8x certified disc, then you will probably be able to burn the disc at 12x speed when OS is enabled.

Q: Will OS let me write every 16x rated media at 20x?
A: No, Lite-On enabled 20x writing only for some dedicated high quality media. For a complete list of 20x supported media please look at the Lite-On website here. If you don’t mind you can also use an “Enhanced Overspeed” pachted firmware. More information can be found [THREAD=207033]here[/THREAD].

Q: What is Hyper Tuning (HT) and why do I need it??
A: HyperTuning is a so called “auto strategy” technology for DVD+/-R and DVD+/-R DL media. Its technology enables the drive to learn a write strategy for unsupported media or for media where you are not satisfied with the quality of the burn when the regular strategy was used. Further, it can give you better results when you use lower quality media with a stronger variation of the disc quality itself.

Because the OPC didn’t know how to write a disc at higher speed, it is also required when you want to write a disc using OverSpeed.

Q: Will my drive store strategies or replace existing strategies with these “learned” strategies?
A: No, HT will “learn” from the beginning every time when a new burn is started. You may know that the quality often varies from disc to disc. This, every time new learning should guarantee best results for each burn, so it isn’t useful to store or replace strategies.

Q: What is Online Hyper Tuning (OHT)
A: Online Hyper Tuning (OHT) is a so called autostrategy mechanism for Lite-On optical drives. It measures the writing quality while burning a disc and modifies it when necessary. With this method you can achieve better writing quality on lower quality media or when you write media above their rated speed. By using this function the total writing time may rise a bit.

Q: At this moment the following drives support HT/OS/OHT:
A: [INDENT]

[ul][li]SHM 165H6S (Test Firmware HV7U)
[/li] [li]SHM 165P6S (Official support since firmware MS0M)
[/li] [li]SHW 160H6S (Test Firmware CV7U)
[/li] [li]SHW 160P6S (Test Firmware PV7U)
[/li] [li]SHW 16H5S (Test Firmware LV4C)
[/li] [li]SOHW 1635S (Test Firmware YV6J)
[/li] [li]all newer drives[/ul]
[/li]

The latest HT/OS supporting test firmware for your drive can be found in [THREAD=172018]this thread[/THREAD].

Q: How can I enable HT/OS/OHT?
A: You can download the latest version of SmartBurn on the LiteOn website here. Once downloaded you just need to unzip the file, run SmartBurn.exe and enable HyperTuning and OverSpeed at the HyperTuning tab. After you have enabled the options in SmartBurn you will need to open and close the tray to activate the functions. The same goes for disabling the functions.

The possibility to enable and disable HT has also been added to the latest version of the LiteOn testing tool [THREAD=93944]KProbe2[/THREAD].

Q: How do I enable OHT, I can’t find the option to enable it in SmartBurn
A: The option to enable OHT isn’t available in the last offical SmartBurn version (3.1.16). To enable the OHT you must use the inoffical SmartBurn version 3.1.16t. You can find it [THREAD=177331]here[/THREAD].

Q: OHT is not working when burning at 20x speed, is something wrong with my drive?
A: No, your drive is working correctly, Lite-On has just disabled this function for 20x speed.

Q: I have enabled HT/OS using the SmartBurn Tool. How can I check if the drive burns in HT/OS mode?
A: This can easily be checked by observing the LED, as it flashes differently compared to normal mode when HT/OS is enabled.

Q: Will my drive remember these settings after I reboot my PC?
A: At this moment, the drive only saves the HT/OS settings if you burn a disc (after reset the settings revert to the last burns settings).

exception: SHM-165P6S - This drive only saves the settings when the installed firmware is newer than MS0M.
[/indent]

Auto-formatted by FAQFormat65536 v1.1.3.

[B]Q:[/B] Where can I find reviews of Lite-On drives?
[B]A:[/B]

[B]BD-R/RE drives[/B]

[ul]
[li]Lite-On eHBU212 External BD-RE Burner Review (by MyCE)
[/li][li]Lite-On iHBS112 BD-RE Burner Review (by MyCE)
[/li][/ul]

[B]BD-ROM/DVD±RW Combo Drives[/B]

[ul]
[li]Lite-On eSEU206 Slim External BD-ROM/DVDRW Drive Review (by MyCE)
[/li][/ul]

[B]DVD±RW Drives[/B]

[ul]
[li]Lite-On iHAS624 (DH24A[B]B[/B]-series) DVD Burner Review (by MyCE)
[/li][li]Lite-On iHAS524 (DH24A[B]A[/B]-series) DVD Burner Review (by MyCE)
[/li][li]Lite-On iHAS324 (DH24A[B]A[/B]-series) DVD Burner Review (by MyCE)
[/li][li]Lite-On eTAU108 Slim External DVD Burner Review (by MyCE)
[/li][li]Lite-On iHAS422 (DH22A[B]8[/B]-series) DVD Burner Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LH-20A1P Super AllWrite review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LH-20A1H Super AllWrite review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRU-840A Burner review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LH-20A1L DVD Burner Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]HP DVD-1040e external DVD writer review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRX-S70U Slim-Line External Burner Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony Slim-Line DRX-S50U review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LH-20A1P AllWrite DVD-Writer Preview [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LH-20A1S Mini Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LH-18A1P AllWrite DVD-Writer Preview [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SHM-165P6S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SHM-165H6S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRU-820A Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRU-810A Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SHW-16H5S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SHW-1635S Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRU-800A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1693S) Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SOHW-1673S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SOHW-1673S Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRU-720A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1673S) Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RWlD2 (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1673S) Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SOHW-1653S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRU-710A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S/1653S) Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SOHW-1633S Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Memorex F16 (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S) Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Memorex F16 (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633S) Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Philips ED16DVDR (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1633SX) Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Speer DL16824 (reboxed LiteOn SOHW-1633S) Mini-Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]TDK 1280B (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-1213S) Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SOHW-832S Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Sony DRU-700A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-832S) Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On SOHW-812S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Teac DV-W58G-A (rebadged LiteOn SOHW-812S) Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LDW-811S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LDW-811S Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LDW-411S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Lite-On LDW-401S Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][/ul]

[B]DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drives[/B]

[ul]
[li]LiteOn LTC-48161H Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]LiteOn LSC-24081MX Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][/ul]

[B]DVD-ROM Drives[/B]

[ul]
[li]LiteOn LSD-081 / JLMS XJ-SD081 Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][li]LiteOn LTD-163 / JLMS XJ-HD163 Review [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][/ul]

[B]CD-RW Drives[/B]

[ul]
[li]Lite-On SOHR-5239V review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]LiteOn LTR-52246S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]LiteOn LTR-40125S Review [I](by CD Freaks)[/I]
[/li][li]Various Reviews [I](by CDR Labs)[/I]
[/li][/ul]

[B]Additional questions for newer generation /b[b] LiteOn drives:[/B]
[B]__________________________________________________[/B]

Q: Can my LiteOn DVD burner support jitter scanning?
A: Select drives support jitter scanning on DVD media only. 16x (6S series & newer), 18x, 20x, 22x, 24x, and any models that share the same hardware/firmware base as those generally have jitter scanning support. The most popular tool here on the forums is CD-DVD Speed (now Opti Drive Control). We highly suggest you use ODC, but if for some reason it doesn’t function on your system, there is a version of CD-DVD Speed that allows jitter scanning for DVD burns. [QUOTE=C0deKing;2230445]
[…]
[B]CD-DVD Speed - supports jitter for iHAS drives[/B]
http://upload.cdfreaks.com/liteon/tools/CDSpeed-SE3-47716.rar[/QUOTE]
…note that the drive will NOT perform the jitter scan before completing the PIE/PIF scan. Please wait until the drive completes its initial pass before reporting problems; this is normal. (It will reach 99%, do the jitter scan, then complete; if the drive sticks at 99% for more than five minutes, then there is some hangup with the attempted jitter scan. Also, some drives may not be able to scan jitter on the second layer of DVD+/-R DL media.)

[B]________________________________[/B]

Q: Are there any other tools not listed above–and not listed in the Comprehensive LiteOn Tools Collection thread–that I might be able to use with my drive?
A: Possibly. The newest drives may not have many tweaks or tools available, but it doesn’t hurt to look and see if your drive is supported by any of these tools:

[ul]
[li]Jitter Speed Setting Tool (handy with the above version of CD-DVD Speed): http://club.myce.com/f44/jitter-speed-setting-tool-v3-nero-cd-dvd-speed-228166/
[/li][li]Settings Utility for LiteOn DVD Writers: http://club.myce.com/f44/settings-utility-liteon-dvd-writers-v1-2-1-a-241940/
[/li][li]Flash Utility for LiteOn burners (DVDRW: 4x/8x/12x/16x/18x/20x/22x/early 24x drives; BDRE: first-generation iHBS112 and earlier drives): http://club.myce.com/f44/flash-utility-plds-liteon-based-optical-drives-v6-0-1-a-190420/
[/li][li]EEPROM Utility for LiteOn burners (DVDRW: 4x/8x/12x/16x/18x/20x/22x/24x drives; BDRE drives): http://club.myce.com/f44/eeprom-utility-plds-liteon-sony-cd-dvd-writers-v6-2-0-a-112103/
[/li][/ul]

Q: Can my LiteOn iHBS112 2 (or iHBS212 …or iHBS312 …or comparable clone/rebadge) BDRE burner support BDR/BDRE scanning?
A: Yes, with Opti Drive Control, and possibly other tools. However, you may have to perform a little trick, as suggested in this post:
http://club.myce.com/f61/workaround-ihbs112-04-opti-drive-control-quality-scan-problem-325102/
…Early generation iHBS112 2 and iHBS212 2 drives are fine. Late generation 112 and 212 models are likely to require this tweak. The iHBS312 2 is a newer version of the 112, and seems to universally require the trick. Unfortunately, there is no definitive way to tell whether your drive is a first generation or second generation. This is also the case for any rebadges of these drives. However, a general rule of thumb (not 100% verified):

[ul]
[li]a drive made prior to June 2011 is likely an early generation;
[/li][li]a drive made past July 2011 is likely a late generation;
[/li][li]a drive made past November 2011 is nearly guaranteed to be a late generation.[/ul]
[/li]So if your drive does not scan past 6MB, or scans only at 0.01x or 0.02x, try the above first.

Q: Can my LiteOn iH[B]E[/B]S112 (or other LiteOn BDROM/DVDRW combo drive) support BDR/BDRE scanning?
A: Maybe. Some drives work with Opti Drive Control, and possibly other tools. However, users report better scanning results with an iHBS*** model (or comparable rebadges).

Q: Can’t I use Nero CD-DVD Speed/DiscSpeed/CD Speed to scan with my LiteOn BD-capable drive? Must I use some other tool?
A: CD-DVD Speed was last updated when DVDRW drives were the dominant optical drives. Using CD-DVD Speed to scan Blu-ray media is generally unreliable, whereas ODC and other utilities have full support for proper scanning. CD-DVD Speed can, however, still allow you to scan DVD or CD media so long as your drive supports the necessary commands.

There is a bonus to using ODC: if you use ImgBurn (highly recommended around these forums), you can use ODC (among other utilities) to later view the write graph from a given burn, which allows you to identify a number of issues that may have occurred during the write process.

Q: Does my LiteOn BDRE drive support Verbatim (MKM/Mitsubishi) or Taiyo Yuden (JVC) LTH media?
A: Support from the iHBS*12 drives is existent. However, be aware that some manufacturers have a list of drives that support their media, and on a few lists the iHBS112 is listed as “Not Recommended” for select pieces of LTH media. HTL media from these brands, however, tends to be supported without caveats.