EZ CD Creator 6 v. Nero 6

vbimport

I’ve used Easy CD Creator for years with nary a problem, but I’ve seen it widely criticized on this forum and on others. Just last week I dumped Easy CD Creator 5 for Nero 6. I completely uninstalled the former before installing the latter. But some CD-RWs that worked fine in EZ5 can’t be written to or erased by N6.

Then I scan this forum and find nothing but problems with N6 listed. I have rewritable disks made by EZ5 socked away that can no longer be read. And I’ve had several write errors on blank disks saying that the drive could not be written to at 16x (despite the fact I’ve checked the use best speed option).

So what makes EZ 6 so horrible and N6 so great? I’ve got a Sony DRU-510 DVD writer and am seriously thinking about going back to Easy CD Creator and upgrading to 6.

Can someone talk me out of it?

Thanks,

John

i’ve had zero problems with nero 6 so far. besides the fact that nero 6 is a new piece of software (so bugs are still being worked out), most ppl who don’t have problems aren’t going to start a new thread just to say so. u can try doing a search on easy cd cremator to turn up the problems ppl have with that program.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
most ppl who don’t have problems aren’t going to start a new thread just to say so.

I am sure that the same applies to Easy CD Creator. I have version 6 of both ECDC and Nero and I have used ECDC since version 3 and have used Nero since version 4. I have not had any problems with either software, except for the minor bugs that are usually fixed in updates (and the new ones created by the updates to fix the previous bugs). Even though both versions are now closer together in their features, there are still some features in each that I prefer to the other. I guess I will contine to use both, at least through version 6.

i didn’t say that it didn’t apply to easy cd creator; when i said “most ppl who don’t have problems aren’t going to start a new thread just to say so,” i meant it in the general sense about everything.

Sorry if I misread your post since the first post mentioned all of the negative posts about Nero. It is certainly true that the majority of users are not going to take to time to post positive things about any product.

If you have more than 26 cdroms, easy cd creator won’t work :slight_smile: Not sure if they fixed this in 6.

Thanks for the replies.

Can you have Nero and Easy CD Creator on the same system? A few years ago, the programs clashed. And if you removed Nero and installed Easy CD Creator, it would corrupt the registry and your CD readers and writers would disappear. Had to download a program to fix the registry and bring them back.

In what circumstance would you have 26 CD-ROMS?

Originally posted by Bill Clinton
In what circumstance would you have 26 CD-ROMS?

Since Andareed has the status of Author of D-Tools Add-on Utilities he is probably using that many virtual drives :wink:

No, actually only two. I just find it amusing about this 26 cdroms. It’s like the expression: ‘640k should be enough for anyone’.

Originally posted by jriler
[B]I’ve used Easy CD Creator for years with nary a problem, but I’ve seen it widely criticized on this forum and on others. Just last week I dumped Easy CD Creator 5 for Nero 6. I completely uninstalled the former before installing the latter. But some CD-RWs that worked fine in EZ5 can’t be written to or erased by N6.

Then I scan this forum and find nothing but problems with N6 listed. I have rewritable disks made by EZ5 socked away that can no longer be read. And I’ve had several write errors on blank disks saying that the drive could not be written to at 16x (despite the fact I’ve checked the use best speed option).

So what makes EZ 6 so horrible and N6 so great? I’ve got a Sony DRU-510 DVD writer and am seriously thinking about going back to Easy CD Creator and upgrading to 6.

Can someone talk me out of it?

Thanks,

John [/B]

Well, John, you have hit on an interesting sociological experiment. You are right, EZCD is generally reviled on many forums, and usually by those who don’t use it, know nothing about it, and as as result are unable to help with problems or questions. As a recent example, see the thread at Easy CD Creator which even has the board administrator reviling it.

It’s interesting that when EZCD has a bug, this infuriates those who comment on it (whether they are using it or not). On the other hand, when Nero has bugs (as it is deluged with right now with the release of v6), there is a forgiving “well, this is a new product and the bugs have to be worked out”. I have theories as to what underlies this inconsistency, but it would take too long to explain it.

In short, EZCD is not so horrible, and Nero is not so great. :wink: If you like the way a program performs for your intended purposes, that’s all that counts.

Originally posted by jriler
Can you have Nero and Easy CD Creator on the same system? A few years ago, the programs clashed. And if you removed Nero and installed Easy CD Creator, it would corrupt the registry and your CD readers and writers would disappear. Had to download a program to fix the registry and bring them back.

Yes, they can be installed on the same system with no problems or conflicts. This has been true for some time. Most earlier conflicts were caused by packet writing programs. If you want to use packet writing, use only DirectCD or InCD, but not both as this may cause a conflict.

i definitely agree that many ppl who express a dislike for easy cd have probably never used it. however, i’m not one of them, and i’ve used it in the past. since the quote “well, this is a new product and the bugs have to be worked out” was obviously aimed at me and what i said, i’d have to say that i’m not more forgiving to either side. i’ve actually never had any bug problems with nero nor with easy cd, and the fact that i dislike easy cd is because the quality of the burns were much lower than with nero. in the brief period of time that i experimented with easy cd, i found that i could burn the same cd with easy cd and nero, and then scan them both with cd doctor, and the cds burned with easy cd would frequently have C2 errors as well as much higher C1 avgs than those burned with nero. whether or not that’s changed or if my case was isolated, i have no idea, but everyone should feel free to use whatever floats their boat.

Thanks for your input, AZImmortal. :slight_smile:

My quote about forgiving Nero bugs was definitely not aimed at you. I brought it up because it is a common response by Nero users on different forums, and it is not unreasonable in my opinion.

What is unreasonable is the totally unforgiving and scathing knee-jerk reaction to EZCD Creator when it is mentioned. That was my reason for mentioning the inconsistency in reaction to bug reports.

I use both programs and like them both for different reasons. In contrast with your experience, I have “seemingly” seen C1 and C2 errors decrease with Easy CD Creator compared with Nero. This can occur when a burn produces more errors than desired, and then another program is tried and returns less errors. Realistically, I think that any significant differences in errors are more likely due to blank disc-to-disc variations and other uncontrolled factors (heat, etc.) than any superiority in error control from either program. :wink:

for me nero 6 has always worked fine without probs…
sure it depends on firmware/os/drive…

For me , Adaptec’s Easy CD Creator was the first writing program i used in my life , but very very soon after i got my own first cd writer (Plextor 12 speed , still got it) i found out that Adaptec Easy CD Creator (this was version 3.something i believe) was no good for making backups of copy-protected media.

It was a pain in the butt to configure for different media formats such as videocd , photocd , etc. It did not support overburn , couldn’t handle a single copy protection and i quickly lost interest in it.

I’d say Easy Cd Creator is very good for beginners to start learning how to write and if they get more experience with it , change to Nero if they want to do more than just normal writing with their writer. If not , stay with Easy Cd Creator , it’s not something to be ashamed about , especially if you never make backups of games , but are just writing your digital camera pictures on cd’s.

I told my father to buy a bunch of cd-rewritables and start fiddling around with the writer and he’s quite content with Easy Cd Creator on his Dell machine.

I gave an old Philips 2 speed writer and a couple of rewritables to my brother and told him to use Easy Cd Creator. After a few months or so he asked me if i’ve seen a program somewhere with a more easier interface and more options.

In the overall history , Ahead’s product had less bugs and issues than Easy Cd Creator’s software. I’m not a fan of the “happy happy joy joy click here” interface method myself so naturally i hate Easy Cd Creator and Nero Express :slight_smile: , but there are plenty of computer users that “just want to write pictures on cd’s.”

Easy Cd Creator : Easy , but don’t do anything special with it. Just write normal cd’s.
Nero : Makes it possible to write about any cd/dvd format , but can be overwhelming because of all the options.

And after people have mastered Nero a little and ask me about copyprotections… i redirect them to the CdFreaks forum of course :slight_smile: I tell them about CloneCD , Alcohol , BlindWrite/Read and the whole saga begins again :slight_smile:

I run both Easy CD 6 & Nero 6 - with no problems. Never ever had any dramas with Nero (any version).

Massive problems with the old Easy CD 5 - especially after installing XP for the first time back in 2001. Took Roxio a long long time to sort the problems out - probably why they got such a bad name.

No problems with running Easy CD 6 - however quite a few installation problems - solved by swapping drives around - Easy CD 6 doesn’t like raid cards or multiple drives (I’ve got 3 CD burners + DVD burner).

But having said that, Easy Cd once installed, has worked perfectly. Isn’t as feature rich as Nero 6 - but Nero is a much newer programme (so it should be feature rich)

personally I have found Nero 6 to be junk compared to Nero 5.5…I can not burn cdr/dvdr without read buffer issues(not hardware buffer )…I am using a 160 gb hdd 7200 rpm with 8 mg cache on P4 2.4@3.0 with 512 ram…

Nero 5.5 worked great and nero 6 even with clean install of win xp pro has not worked…

I stopped using Easy cd creator long ago…

Personally I wish they would release products when they are more mature…

In my case Nero 6 is a total failure…and it is discouraging to not be able to get the system and software working right…

I have to use EZCD a lot, because quite some costumors of the company I work for every now and then, use EZCD (data backup). And yes, I find it a horror. The product often crashes, sometimes burns discs loaded with nothing and often refuses RWs (while Nero can use the same RWs on the same computer!). Luckily enough more and more companies discover Nero… saves me a lot of work!

I did use EZCD once, back in the days when I just got my Philips CDD3610 (another big mistake I made). After I found out about Nero and CDRWin, I threw EZCD out.

EZCD’s interface is pretty good. It’s even that friendly, that even my dog can use it… but then again, it’s a product that’s really pointed towards the people that don’t know that much about computers/burning… I guess it works fine for those people (as long as it doesn’t behave in any unpredictable way), but I can’t live with it…

jriler,

Back to your original question. :slight_smile:

I have both EZCD 6 and Nero 6. As you have observed, at this stage Nero 6 could be the buggiest burning software ever. Personally, I use Nero 5.5.10.35 when I want reliable results. Nero 6 appears to be an official beta release without the beta label. I intend to wait until v6 is debugged before I finally switch from v5.

EZCD 6 is more stable than Nero 6 at this point. If you like EZCD, and the features of the latest version appeal to you, an upgrade to version 6 makes sense for you. :wink:

Easy CD 6.1 is pretty cheap if you buy it from the internet instead of the store as well.