vbimport

Hello, I have a system with the following setup:

AsRock K7vt4a pro
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2x1GB PC3200 DDR1 (Running at 2700)
Eminent PCI Sata controller
Samsung 2TB Spinpoint ECO Green
Windows Server 2003 (Fully updated)

I have hooked up the Samsung 2TB disk and another 1GB disk to the sata controller. Now when doing benchmarks I get the following results:

Seagate 1TB

Samsung 2TB

Since I’m using a SATA2 HDD on a SATA1 controller (through PCI) I wasn’t hoping for breakneck speeds, but this is crazy. I’m struggling to figure out why the read speed is so slow: I’m not even getting 4 MB/s. At first I thought the Samsung disk was misaligned, but that can nowhere near explain the slow speed. :a

Does anyone have a clue what might be causing this? I tried the sata controller with the 2TB disk in a newer PC, and it worked fine (80-ish read and write speeds).

Thanks!
Sav

Hi,

this seems to be some kind of compatibility issue of HDD and Controller. Perhaps it helps if you configure the HDD as Sata1 (using Samsung’s ESTOOL).

Michael

Update:
I have tried the controller with the 2TB disk in a different computer, there I reached read speeds of 80+ MB/s. That rules out any compatibility issues between the HDD and the controller, right?

So maybe it is a problem with Windows 2003?

HI.

The other PC also had windows 2003?
You have the latest drivers installed?
Also there is a small possibility that there is an issue with the motherboard.

The other PC was running Windows 7. In order to rule out problems with Win2003 I upgraded the installation to Windows Server 2008 Enterprise. I thought the Vista kernel might handle things better. However, the problem persists.

So I guess it’s likely that it is a motherboard issue… but then how is it possible that write speeds are MUCH higher?

Thanks,
Sav

That’s a good question, but since you tried on different OS and the result was the same, i can only say that it has something to do with the motherboard.
You can try a different PCI slot, if that doesnt solve your problem and you are still under warranty, i would suggest that you return the card and get another if you can.

mobo VIA issue, so it seems.

I was sure that it was not related to w2k3…

[QUOTE=chef;2567811]mobo VIA issue, so it seems.

I was sure that it was not related to w2k3…[/QUOTE]

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by mobo VIA issues. The VIA 8237 chipset on the mobo originally didn’t detect the 2TB drive over the SATA1 port on the mobo. This was a compatibility issue with the chipset and the HD. The SATA controller uses a different VIA chipset, that is much newer, so I’m not sure how the VIA controller on the mobo has anything to do with it.

Ofcourse there is SOME issue with the mobo+HDD. I just ordered a new MSI mobo with 6 SATA ports, because I had run out of options.

Did/can you check the 2TB disk as the only connected harddisk?

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2567980]Did/can you check the 2TB disk as the only connected harddisk?[/QUOTE]

I did.

[QUOTE=savagefarmer;2567996]I did.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm…

Eminent SATA controller:
Interface: PCI 32-Bit 33/66MHz
Features: 2 Internal SATA Ports, RAID 0 and 1 support, 1 IDE port
Data transfer rate: 1.5Gbps
SATA interface: Compliant with SATA 1.0 Specification
General: Bus-Master Access, Plug & Play
Package content: PCI card, 2x SATA cable, manual, CD

SATA1. A normal VIA VT6421 chipset. Should work.

but… i found this in a review on Newegg:

Does NOT like my VIA VT6421 PCI SATA Controller. It will actually crash the controller with regular usage. Might just be situational or a driver issue but when I put my 1.5TB Seagate 7200.11’s on the same SATA Controller they work flawlessly under heavy usage. The VIA Controller is updated fully with the newest BIOS and drivers on win7 x64.

I’m not sure what to advice. Perhaps it’s possible to jumper the harddisk to SATA1 compatibility? But i have no idea if this helps a lot. It all seems highly unstable though…

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2568009]
<snip>
SATA1. A normal VIA VT6421 chipset. Should work.
<snip>
[/QUOTE]
Yes, I also strongly feel that it should work :stuck_out_tongue:

After all this troubleshooting it’s pretty much the only option. The VIA VT6421 chipset on the SATA controller does not play nice with the HDD.
The irony here is that the only reason I bought the SATA controller in the first place is that the HDD wouldn’t play nice with the VIA 8237 chipset on the motherboard.

The Sata controller of the 8237 southbridge is identical to VT6421 (which was designed for add-on cards). Yes, these do have problems with SataII drives.

Unlike HDDs from WD or Seagate, Samsung HDDs can not be jumpered to SataI operation. You need to connect it to a compatible controller and then use ESTOOL to reconfigure the drive.

The alternative is to replace the VIA based controller card by something else, for example a Silicon Image based controller card.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2568062]The Sata controller of the 8237 southbridge is identical to VT6421 (which was designed for add-on cards). Yes, these do have problems with SataII drives.

Unlike HDDs from WD or Seagate, Samsung HDDs can not be jumpered to SataI operation. You need to connect it to a compatible controller and then use ESTOOL to reconfigure the drive.

The alternative is to replace the VIA based controller card by something else, for example a Silicon Image based controller card.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up, I had no idea. You are a real guru :wink:

I’m happy with the new server I ordered, but this will help others who run into this problem!

EDIT: I’m wondering now though, if the problem was with the chipset on the SATA controller card, why did it work fine when I plugged the card into a different PC?

[QUOTE=savagefarmer;2568081]
EDIT: I’m wondering now though, if the problem was with the chipset on the SATA controller card, why did it work fine when I plugged the card into a different PC?[/QUOTE]Somehow I missed that you also moved the controller card :doh:

Then there is some compatibility (or a driver) issue for whatever reason. Sometimes moving the card to another PCI slot is helpful.
But anyway, the statement that Via based Sata controllers have problems with SataII drives is still valid.

Michael