Extremely frustrated with the burning process

vbimport

Well, my friend gave me his anime collection when he left town because it’s pretty big and he didn’t want to cart it off. That and he’s outgrown the anime phase shakes head

Anyway I decided I’d make a few backups. Got to the first series and began copying the disks with DVD Shrink. The first one I put in didn’t copy so well. It got to just over half way before it stopped responding. So I put the next disk in and it copied just fine. I took the disks to my local video store for them to clean them where it kinda fills in the scratches and she said that on a couple of them, she couldn’t even see any scratches, but still charged me $4 for each disk=( So I brought them home, but the same thing happens. Except I might get an extra % now.

I’ve looked the disks over and the only scratch is in the smaller silver circle closest to the middle (there’s like three circles: the main one on the outside, the darker one with some letters on it and the first one which is where my problem is). It’s just a obvious scratch in the shape of a circle. I asked a few of my friends online, but no one knows what to tell me. Also I got this other disk with exactly the same scratch and it’s fine. Copying and everything.

I’ve tried plenty of other programs. CD Recovery Toolbox, Bad CD DVD Reader, Nero, Magic ISO, DVD Decrypter. None of them can read it. The DVD burner is an Optiarc but I’ve also tried my brother’s external DVD burner and it doesn’t work either. I’m confused, what exactly is the problem with these disks? I can’t see any scratches that would affect this, except the one in the middle and if that’s the case why is this other one with more severe scratches working now?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m really at my wit’s end at trying to understand this… :confused:

dvdshrink is no longer updated for copy protections.

It’s not the protections. I burned several disk of the same boxset and even if there was a problem with the protections, I have AnyDVD that cancels them out. I have DVD Shrink 3.2 and it does remove the protections, as I could burn on that while AnyDVD was closed but Nero just spat the disk back out at me.

ok my statement about dvdshrink still stands. and you didnt mention anydvd. :slight_smile: just because you made backups of a particular boxset does not rule out protections. :disagree: [B]sorry[/B]

so then what is this statement??

I’ve tried plenty of other programs. CD Recovery Toolbox, Bad CD DVD Reader, Nero, Magic ISO, DVD Decrypter. None of them can read it.

however you do have anydvd so i would not suspect copy protections. :rolleyes:

as I could burn on that while AnyDVD was closed but Nero just spat the disk back out at me.

you have now mentioned that the error is in [B]burning[/B]. do you have nero burn logs to post? this would really help.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=57213

http://club.cdfreaks.com/1984000-post2.html

Have you tried just putting these discs in the drive & then if you have autorun run on, opening it up to view through Windows Explorer? If you don’t have any problems you should see an AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folder, which you should be able to drag & drop onto your hard drive. If you don’t have autorun on, put the disc in the drive, Start / My Computer / right click the drive icon / open & do the same drag & drop. Again I repeat, if you don’t have any problems.

I did save a log for Nero, so I’ll post that. And when I say I’ve used other programs, Troy, I mean a lot of programs particularly for use on scratched DVDs. When I used Decrypter though, it did tell me that there were bad sectors, so I skipped over these, but at one point it was already up to 350, so I wasn’t sure how much of the anime I’d be missing out.

I should mention that these DVDs play fine. No real hiccups. I also was going to drag and drop, Barley, but a friend told me not to do this as Windows sucks at maintaining the program in its entirety. But I will try this once I get home later on today. And I do see all those folders. Like I said, any suggestions I will have to try later today after I get home from town. Thanks for all the help. I’d really like to get to the bottom of this.

Log.txt (5.51 KB)

I have never had a problem with Windows & opening up discs that way. If you get them to your hard drive, you should be able to burn with ImgBurn in Build Mode or use Dvd Shrink, create an ISO & burn that ISO with ImgBurn. This is only my personal preference, but I would run it through FixVts before burning with ImgBurn in Build Mode.

looks like dual layer media?

Last possible write address on media: 4718591 (1048:34.41, 9215MB)
Last address to be written: 3178799 (706:23.74, 6208MB)

and nero doesnt like it!
Sense Key: 0x03 (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR)

what type and brand of media are you using?

windows will do [B]okay[/B] copying the files to hard drive. :slight_smile:

i would never use windows packet writing for dvd [B]burning[/B]. :disagree:

:flower: also i would suggest using ImgBurn for dual layer back ups. :bow:

:iagree: just run anydvd in the back ground and use imgburn in read mode, then write mode. :bow:

When you get the files to your hard drive, post back with what size the VIDEO_TS file is, Dual Layer changes things a little bit, but not a whole lot.

:iagree: just run anydvd in the back ground and use imgburn in read mode, then write mode. :bow:

when using good quality Dual Layer media, this is the best dual layer backup solution. :slight_smile:

for more info please visit:
http://forum.imgburn.com/