Extreme Problematic Movies From the Past

Fengtao
I don’t know if this is an interesting topic to your followers, BUT here it is:
Inspired by today’s problems with the Iron Man movie, I recall over the year many movies that challenged your software.
Most of these problems where gobbled up by your updates.
There must be some that where never fully fixed at all.
Would we be pushing the envelope of what is acceptable conversation on this forum if we talked about the copy protection of specific Movies from past and present and create ongoing list of information and testing buy our friends and fellow users of this software to see if current up grades improve problems from the past.
Noteably for me one movie that gave me a lot of grief - Open Range.
It would be interesting to know if the handful of noteably problematic movies that gave most of us a lot of grief would be BACKED -Upped with new versions easily.
How large or how small is the list of problematic movies or have they all been concurred.
I’m sure there are many of your followers that would love a new challenge if a list of old hard to Back up movies was available.
Hope this is an interesting thread.
Glenn

in my experience, no versions work with photo galleries

• some music DVDs have, in their bonus features, a collection of photos, one per DVD chapter, that are intended to play as a slideshow.

DVDFAb always crashes for me on these, so I exclude them when copying. Could be that it can’t handle the fact that there is no moving video or a length of zero. It will show them in its icustomisemenu e.g. as title x, with lots & lots of small chapters, but will fail to copy them correctly.

cybmole and Glenn
In my experience, there are very few movies that cannot be backed up with some combination of DVDFab’s many controls and features. In cybmole’s example of the photo or slideshow feature, this can usually be made to work by leaving the menus intact and/or setting PathPlayer to scan more deeply into the content. Some DVDs do have unusual authoring that will not copy correctly with some modes or with default settings, but as Glenn noted, most titles that really can’t be copied for some reason are usually fixed in the next update. I would be interested in a list like this too, but I think it would be a short one.

[QUOTE=signals;2135550]cybmole and Glenn
In my experience, there are very few movies that cannot be backed up with some combination of DVDFab’s many controls and features. In cybmole’s example of the photo or slideshow feature, this can usually be made to work by leaving the menus intact and/or setting PathPlayer to scan more deeply into the content. Some DVDs do have unusual authoring that will not copy correctly with some modes or with default settings, but as Glenn noted, most titles that really can’t be copied for some reason are usually fixed in the next update. I would be interested in a list like this too, but I think it would be a short one.[/QUOTE]

actually , in my case, I tried what you said, those with slide shows would hang usually at 99 copied, with pathplayer disabled, & would scan forever with it enabled. I don’t think DVDfAb can handle a cluster zero length chapters which only contain one still frame each. Probably clone would have worked but I did not want to backup those bits anyway so no big deal!

Oh & there’s the “clearplay doesn’t work on some backups issue”, which never did get solved. God only know how that works - & he ain’t posting here :slight_smile:

shame about clearplay , I think an anti-clearplay, which let you get straight to the sex & violence & skip all the other stuff, whould have been wildly popular :slight_smile:

I also agree that it would ba short list, & whenever I’ve hit a problem with something old, It would usually rip in DVDshrink, which seems more tolerant of bad authoring.

I have one other DVDset that fab does not like - that’s the "what the bleep do we know…down the rabbit hole " box set.
the original has a "play chapters at random feature " which does not work on backups. I never did figure how the DVD instructs the player to make a random selection.

Has anyone tried Open Range recently.
What are some of the other tittles from the past that have given the most trouble.
Glenn

[QUOTE=cybmole;2135524]in my experience, no versions work with photo galleries

• some music DVDs have, in their bonus features, a collection of photos, one per DVD chapter, that are intended to play as a slideshow.

DVDFAb always crashes for me on these, so I exclude them when copying. Could be that it can’t handle the fact that there is no moving video or a length of zero. It will show them in its icustomisemenu e.g. as title x, with lots & lots of small chapters, but will fail to copy them correctly.[/QUOTE]

All,

I recently backed up 2 movies that had a photo gallery as part of the special features. The instructions on the screen said to hit ‘skip to next chapter button’ to skip to next picture. I had no problems with these movies. I am using Fab Plat version 5.0.5.0.

[quote=Glenn&Cyndy;2135566]Has anyone tried Open Range recently.
What are some of the other tittles from the past that have given the most trouble.
Glenn[/quote]I think I have Open Range. I am on a busines trip but will dig it out over the weekend and try it.

Precisely why it pays to keep the old [I]tools[/I] handy and ready to use ,for those rare occasions that your main tool looses it’s sharpness, or fails with the task at hand .:wink:

[QUOTE=rogman49;2135578]All,

I recently backed up 2 movies that had a photo gallery as part of the special features. The instructions on the screen said to hit ‘skip to next chapter button’ to skip to next picture. I had no problems with these movies. I am using Fab Plat version 5.0.5.0.[/QUOTE]

ah, maybe it’s fixed then. I’ve not progressed beyond 5.0.2.0
& I as I recall , I was on v4 when I last ripped from a DVD with pohto-gallery

[QUOTE=Glenn&Cyndy;2135566]Has anyone tried Open Range recently.
Glenn[/QUOTE]

I had problems with this movie as well. I bought another one real cheap just to see if it would happen again with the new copy and it worked. I can’t explain why because the first one that I bought is perfect in every way. No scratches, and it played perfectly. Weird huh? So maybe you should try the same thing I did. See if you can buy another copy real cheap and try to burn it again. If it works like it did for me than just give your old copy to someone else. Good luck. As far as other problematic moves are concerned I ran into to problems with Iron Man and a couple of others. I figured out though that it wasn’t DVDFab that was the problem. It was the VSO Burning engine that didn’t burn properly. I tried it with IMGBurn and they worked perfectly. So try your problematic movies by ripping with DVDFab and burning with IMGBurn all in one step. Good luck.