Extreme noob needs help

vbimport

I admit I am an extreme noob at this. I’ve tried muddling through these forums for weeks to figure out my problem. My problem is that it takes me MINIMUM 3 1/2 hours to burn a full DVD. I’m gathering from what I’ve read that thats not normal. 3 hours is insane. I have a 2.8 Gig CPU, 1 Gig of memory, and a sata 10,000 rpm HD. My burner I just got is a liteon 832S. I’ve used a few different types of media and no matter what I do my burns all take like 3 1/2 hours. DMA is enabled. Please help.

It could be an IDE driver issue. If you’re using IDE drivers from nVidia or VIA, then remove them to go back to Microsoft’s standard drivers.

You dont need DMA to burn @ 2x :slight_smile: takes 30 minutes and get great looking burns with some effort. Also NT file system is slower than Fat32… But even taking everything into account, an old system should work easily @ 2x which is like 24x CDrom write…

How long does it take you to write a CD? With 40x it said like 3:10, @ 52x I got like 2:23 with nero 24x should be around 4:30… Are the DVD’s usefull after 3.5 hours?

Even when I switch to burn at 8X with 8X media it still takes 3 1/2 hours. They work after they are burnt yes. And it takes me about 2 minutes to burn a full CD with 20 songs on it at 40X.

I’m not sure how to go about switching my drivers. If I do it is that going to mess anything else up?

Yes it will mess things up and better to get someone who knows what they are doing. Another things you might do is, try to use it with an external chassie. You cut down on a lot of conflicts to narrow things down. My system was going very slow when it lost DMA and I was copying small files onto the dvd, took like an hour and the red light kept changing to yellow every few seconds. But 3 hours?? Thats CD speed…