Extreme newbie question using cdr disks

vbimport

I use cd r’s for backing up my word documents, music , photos and my favorites after I drag and drop them into my folders ,
I am adding new files into my folders every day
I like to back up those changes which I make every day
I am under the impression that cdrw ( nero INCD) is not reliable so I don’t use cdrw and instead use cdrs ( mitsui , and taiyo yuden )
I do multisessioning ( I have 260 mb’s so far on the cd r and I will keep multisessioning until the disk is filled up , then I will convert to dvd+r I guess
The reason I do multisessioning instead of not ticking off multisession and finalize is because I do not like the idea of throwing in the garbage a cd r every single day especially the mitsui gold archive in individual box’s
someone told me something I do not understand
Ouote :" I would personally not use Multisession
You are most likely to need your backups the most when something has gone wrong with Windows,and in that event are you absolutely certain that you closed off the multisession CD so that it can be read as a standard CD-R? "
So whats the story with cdr and multisessioning ?
you can not read the last session its not visible ? even tho its in there ?
But only the first original session can be seen and read ?
Or you can not read the first session its not visible only the last session is visible and can be read but it still in there ??
All I know is when I open up the data multisessioning cd r in windows I can see everything on the cdr from the very first original backup to the encremental subsequent backups , I don’t know what he is talking about and when I asked for clarification he is no where to be found , thus I am posting this conendrum to the experts here at cd freaks
Thax guys and gals :confused:

AFAIK, an unclosed multisession CD-R should be readable, even in DOS mode, by all but a few very old CD-ROM drives.
Each data session IS closed, with a link to begin the next session - a few drives used to get confused by the link.

DVD-R multisession, is nonstandard and is likely to be problematic -http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1166450,00.asp

Finally, I would be inclined to use rewriteables in multisession, just so long as you never have anything you can’t afford to lose committed to only one.

The old “grandfather, father, son” cycle as used with tapes has a lot to recommend it - working with CD/DVD media, you might use a recordable for every “grandfather” cycle, and intersperse with rewriteable (and if you don’t fill the RW, you should multisession it, instead of always going over the same bit - you should also consider retiring the media after a certain number of uses).

You have a sound strategy. CD ROM multisession will be fine. Just avoid packet writing software like InCD, DirectCD, etc…

I have a brand new LG cdrw 52x so it should read it ok right , I wonder why I was told by someone that you absolutely certain that you closed off the multisession CD so that it can be read as a standard CD-R and he also said go to property and tick off read only box in attributes , looks I have been getting the wrong info or he has an old cd drive .
Just curious what does AFAIK stand for ?
Quote : you wrote > "Finally, I would be inclined to use rewriteables in multisession, just so long as you never have anything you can’t afford to lose committed to only one."I use nero express only , so if I use cdrw’s I still have to use INCD , which is a no no ?
or is it just the dvdrw’s combined with INCD thats the problem ?

So whats the point in have two disks a cdrw and a cdr I can’t afford to loose anything on either one and they are both going to have the exact data on both of them

Quote :"you might use a recordable for every “grandfather” cycle, and intersperse with rewriteable (and if you don’t fill the RW, you should multisession it, instead of always going over the same bit "
I could have two cdrw’s or instead two cdr’s but whats the point in one cdr and one cdrw when they both have the same stuff on them ?

I also learned something I never knew before , you mean you have the option to choose to multisession on an rw instead of standard procedure which is overwritting all the previous folders …
you wrote :" if you don’t fill the RW instead of always going over the same bit thats intresting , its that so the cd rw would be have a better change of retaining its integrity if you rotate multisession with standard overwritting of previous backup ?

You can always use a RW the same way as a write-once - they were originally called “CD-eraseable”, I believe - and when using them for small pieces that way, it’s better to fill them up and then erase, as the usable life is determined by the part that gets the most use.
So if you erase and write a CD-RW every time, you put two cycles on it every time… if you get 4 multisessioned writes on, then you put two cycles on it for every 4 writes.
Since the quoted lifetime is usually 1000 cycles, I’d suggest retiring the media considerably before that, or verifying the media to get an ideao of it’s useful life in your drive - some combinations work very well, others weaken very quickly, 50 cycles or less -if the media and drive don’t get on, the first write can be poor and the second unreadable - I had a drive that was incredibly fussy with RW media.

A “modified” Grandfather, Father, Son cycle would be that on Day 1, you use a CD-R, Day 2, you use CD-RW #1, Day 3, you use CD-RW #2, then you go back to The CD-R, and either add a session, or replace/store it.

The original point of the cycle with tapes (eraseable), was that with a set of 3 (or more), you were always writing over the oldest with the new backup, and could step back through the remainder of the set if the newset backup failed.

The weakness of the modified cycle, is that you are still exposed to the possibility that one or both of the CD-RW may let you down.

PS. Surprised you’ve not seen that abbreviation before… AFAIK = As Far As I Know (implication, don’t take this as absolute).

Thanks Matt , hope your still by the computer
First let me say I backup every day and its only my documents data type of stuff …
In the Nero inCD if you don’t put a check mark to (" load when insert cd ")will it be disabled when you stick in a r w disk or will it be activated irreguardless if it sees rw ?
So its better to use a cdrw to utilize the inCD fuction and just use it like a cd r and each time your going to add more files to the backup instead of overwrite ( auto erase and auto write ) to manually do it by going to format and erase the disc and now your having a blank disc each time you need to add new files to your original backup ?
But I must be missing something , they are both 700mb so whats the advantage of using cdrw and manually format each time or use cd r and do the same and why is cdr multisession not superior to cdrw using inCD or manually erase each time ?
If you had your choice matt as a backup to your cd backups which would you choose for reliability of your data those flash ubs memory things 1 gig or an iomega zip drive 750 mb ( the zip drive with a couple discs will set you back double , but if money was no object which would you want ?)

I’d avoid InCD altogether - packet writing adds an extra layer of risk.

The main point of putting some CD-RW (multisession) in with the cycle of CD-R, is to reduce the consumption of CD-R media.

The older zip drives had a lot of problems, not sure if they are 100% resolved with the new.