Extracting firmware from Samsung-based burner

I wanna buy a Philips SPD2514, which is the OEM of Samsung SH-203B, and flash it with CK’s new firmware. But before that, I want to save the existing Philips firmware so that I can flash it back in case I need a RMA. Is there any tools that I can use to extract the firmware? Will MTKFlash 1.83c work?

Hi,

there is no utility known that is able to backup the firmware from a Samsung (SATA) drive. You may try mtkflash, but I doubt, it will work.

Crossflashing a drive with another manufacturer’s firmware is always done at own risk. Any warranty is void also. RMAing a bad drive after crossflashing - even after reverting to stock firmware - is not very welcome, since such will force manufacturers to lock their firmwares even more, so there won’t be any patched firmwares on the long run. Basically, this also applies to patched firmware also.

So if you want a Samsung, why not buying a real Samsung drive instead?

Michael

Are you sure this is right? :eek: Philips has been using LO drives after PLDS was formed. The SPD2513 was a 20A1S while the SPD2413 was a 20A1P. I would’ve thought the SPD214-series were based on LO 20A3 or 20A4* drives.

Hi,[QUOTE=KTL;1942332]Are you sure this is right? :eek: Philips has been using LO drives after PLDS was formed. [/quote]but they also recycle Samsung drives, just like Sony even after being part of Optiarc :bigsmile:

The SPD2513 was a 20A1S while the SPD2413 was a 20A1P. I would’ve thought the SPD214-series were based on LO 20A3 or 20A4* drives.
Nothing is impossible with Philips numbering scheme. :bigsmile:

If the drive is really a Samsung rebadge: Apart from a 203B, this drive might also be a 203D, which is slightly different.

Michael

Good grief… :doh: It’s getting very hard to track what is what anymore.

Thx guys for your replies. I understand that crossflashing will void my warranty, may be I expressed myself very badly. What I meant is if anything goes wrong or if I don’t like the Samsung firmware, it’s always nice to have the means to fall back to the Philips one. That’s why CK always warns us to backup our EEPROM and firmware first before experimenting any new firmware, right?

Why don’t I buy a Samsung drive straightaway? A good question. If the drive is available where I live, I’d be more happy to save the trobule of crossflashing. Period.

Is the Philips SPD2514 an OEM of Samsung SH-S203B? Absolutely.

Will the MTKFlash utility work for the SATA drives? In case you are not aware, MTKFlash supports SATA since 1.8. In fact this small utility is used extensively for cracking XBox.

Hi,[QUOTE=Lassaigne;1942765]Thx guys for your replies. I understand that crossflashing will void my warranty, may be I expressed myself very badly. What I meant is if anything goes wrong or if I don’t like the Samsung firmware, it’s always nice to have the means to fall back to the Philips one. [/quote]Okay. I indeed misunderstood then.

Why don’t I buy a Samsung drive straightaway? A good question. If the drive is available where I live, I’d be more happy to save the trobule of crossflashing. Period.
Courious: Where are you living?

Is the Philips SPD2514 an OEM of Samsung SH-S203B? Absolutely.
Make sure, it is not a 203D with [I]nearly [/I]the same specs.

Will the MTKFlash utility work for the SATA drives? In case you are not aware, MTKFlash supports SATA since 1.8. In fact this small utility is used extensively for cracking XBox.
I tried MTKflash to bring my brain dead 163A back to life, but I failed. But it is a good idea to try MTKflash for creating a backup of the firmware. Please report back if you were successful.:slight_smile:

Michael

Someone in Japan opened up the drives and found that the two drives are the same. I’d let you know if I can back up the firmware using MTKFlash.

There’s another tool from the LO forum called XSF, which supports the serial-based Flash chip, in case MTKFlash doesn’t work.

[QUOTE=KTL;1942982]There’s another tool from the LO forum called XSF, which supports the serial-based Flash chip, in case MTKFlash doesn’t work.[/QUOTE]

I tried this utility on an ICH8-based intel board with compatibility mode on. The utility did recognise the drive, but failed to back up the firmware.

MTKFlash failed on both ICH8-based and nForce 410/430-based motherboard. I’ve tried several patched version of MTKFlash without success.