External USB powered HDD enclosure with old desktop sata HDD

I have an HDD from an old desktop I had years ago and I want to retrieve a file from it using a usb powered enclosure. Will this work?

I usually just connect the HDD as an internal slave and copy the files over. Depending on the ype of drive you can use external IDE/PATA to USB or SATA to USB etc. Not sure what you’re using?

Hi,[QUOTE=omr;2560304]I have an HDD from an old desktop I had years ago and I want to retrieve a file from it using a usb powered enclosure. Will this work?[/QUOTE]No. You need an USB/IDE/Sata adapter (or enclosure) [I]plus a separate power supply unit[/I]. USB can’t power a 3.5" HDD, even a 2.5" drive is borderline.

Michael

[QUOTE=tubebar;2560313]I usually just connect the HDD as an internal slave and copy the files over. Depending on the ype of drive you can use external IDE/PATA to USB or SATA to USB etc. Not sure what you’re using?[/QUOTE]

For the techincally savvy who understand cabling and if IDE drives proper jumpering this is preferable because USB is slower than directly connecting the drive internally.

the rub is that you must power down to connect/disconnect the drive.

a USB enclosure allows you to simply switch the drive on anf off at will.

BTW, on “powered enclosures” saying an externally powered enclosure for a 3.5" desktop HDD is a redundant statement, as there is no other kind…

For Notebook drives? Yes there are both powered and unpowered, but the older style [I]seperately [/I]powered kind are RARE nowadays
and used the SLOW USB interfacce.

It should work fine as long as the connectors are the same and it plugs into enclosure, (i.e. they are both sata or ide). I do this on a regular basis to access files from other HDDs that I need to retrieve data from.

I just reread your post and and noticed you said usb powered enclosure. Those enclosures are designed for designed for the smaller Laptop HDDs, it will not work with your old Desktop HDD I imagine.

Ugh didn’t realise this was an old thread. MB