External USB DVD drive (LG GSA-H20L)

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GSA-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Hitachi-LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20L drive (that came installed on a desktop) with an external USB attachment (don’t know what brand it is.) But anyway, the problem I’m having is when I connect it to the laptop, nothing happens. I restarted the computer but It still does nothing.

Welcome to the forum BC_Music, what is the make and model of your laptop? Does the external enclosure have its own power supply? What operating system are you using?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-7Z1L with Windows Vista Home Edition and the drive doesn’t have an enclosure. The DVD drive came from an HP Desktop computer and the USB attachment came from an Iomega External Burner. The Iomega DVD drive stopped working so I just took the USB atachment from It and used the DVD drive that came with the desktop that I don’t use anymore and tried plugging it in, but it doesn’t work of course. Do I need a firmware update and if so where do I find it? I’m doing the same thing my uncle did, but he didn’t have any problems. I don’t know what he used so…

You need to have power to the drive that is your problem.

As for the power supply, everything was powered by USB when the Iomega drive was working.

Usb will not power the LG drive

Understood… Would I even be able to make it an external drive? I can make an enclosure myself I just need to know what USB part I need.

You need something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16812232002

The link brings me to the main page.

Fixed it try again

Yeah same thing… Whats the product called.

sorry to butt in Jethro the link works fine for me … over and out.

It is a IDE to USB connector with a power supply. It seems that this forum screws with the links sometimes. Just google the ide to usb connector with power supply or buy a whole external enclosure.

I found it… The Vantec adapter.

This is what it kept sending me to:

http://www.newegg.com/?nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--homepage--na-_-na&AID=10440259&PID=2803528&SID=skim49X85

Need to allow redirecting in your browser. Yes the Vantec is not to bad and only 20.00 usd

Thank you very much. You’ve been a big help.

Come back anytime there is loads of good stuff and people here at CDFreaks.

Will do… Thanks again!!