External USB drive causing long Win 7 Startup Delay - help asked

vbimport

I would ask for help with new problem I have found.

I obtained a 1tb Western Digital external usb drive for storage of backup file.

Now when I start machine to boot or restart machine on start menu, there is a long delay before it gets back into Windows.

If I unplug the NTFS formatted drive during boot or restart, Windows start fast like normal. If I plug back in, delay happens again.

I would ask if someone will help me to understand how to prevent this delay while still being able to leave drive plugged in.

Thank you for helping

My suggestion would be to set the boot sequence on the BIOS not to include any USB devices, that way in theory the BIOS want have to spent time trying to find any alternative boot devices that are connected to a USB port.

If you dont have any usb keyboard and mouse you can go to you´re bios usb config and disable some usb functions.

on the other way if you do you must turn on/off you´re external usb device after boot/shutdown.

Thank you for both reply

I have gone into BIOS and found this entry:

USB STORAGE FUNCTION

I change to DISABLE and the delay is gone.

I do not know all of what functions that option will do when enabled and will need to research to ensure disable of that will not have unintended bad consequence.

I thank you both for helping. I get good help often here and appreciate that.

Keep in mind that you will have to re-enable this option when there is the need to boot that computer from an USB device.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2638218]Keep in mind that you will have to re-enable this option when there is the need to boot that computer from an USB device.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thank you for reply

Being able to know the solution is good because I like to have the knowledge personally.

Also, being able to explain the solution to any affected by it is helpful as well.

It is a limitation we can live with but people like to know the why of things, especially supervisors.

Thank you for helping again