External USB 2.0 enclosures and Liteon Drives

I’ve run out of drive bays, and would like to connect just one more drive (greedy huh?)

Does anyone out there know of any potential issues with Liteon drives and/or external USB 2 enclosures?

Is there something I should watch out for?

Would I be better off relocating say my Pioneer burner to the external enclosure, and keep the Liteon DVD burner connected to my IDE?

Any help graciously accepted.

I use my 451@851 in a USB2.0 external enclosure with no issues or problem at all.

Thanks C0deKing!

here is a thread on one enclosure that isn’t too expensive :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=90684

Works fine!

Just be aware that K-Probe won’t work with USB devices. And you may be unable to use ltnfw/ltnflash for flashing binary firmwares. Official Lite-On firmware updaters still works fine though :slight_smile:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Works fine!

Just be aware that K-Probe won’t work with USB devices. And you may be unable to use ltnfw/ltnflash for flashing binary firmwares. Official Lite-On firmware updaters still works fine though :slight_smile: [/B]

I hate to tell you this, but KProbe (1.29) works just fine on my new Liteon drive in the USB enclosure, as does ltnflash, but I will heed your warning about it.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Jackass
[B]I hate to tell you this, but KProbe (1.29) works just fine on my new Liteon drive in the USB enclosure, as does ltnflash, but I will heed your warning about it.

Thanks! [/B]

Well that didn’t take you long to go buy it :smiley:

Originally posted by Ssseth
Well that didn’t take you long to go buy it :smiley:

Easter and 50% off sales only come once a year!!!

$50AU for the enclosure was cheap I thought.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Works fine!

Just be aware that K-Probe won’t work with USB devices. And you may be unable to use ltnfw/ltnflash for flashing binary firmwares. Official Lite-On firmware updaters still works fine though :slight_smile: [/B]

it has worked with my 52246 for about a yr and the second one i bought and replaced the 52246 with an 811 and now a 48161 work also

I have no problems with any of the tools using my 451S@851S in a USB2.0 external enclosure…KProbe, LtnFW, LtnFlash (eeprom read/write, RPC) all work fine. The only one that may not work (but I have thankfully not had a reason to try it) is MTKFlash as it does very low level access.

ditto. I modded my 411 in its usb house and all the tools I’ve tried on it have worked no probs. I even have intel application accelerator still on. haven’t had the need to try mtkflash.

Hmz - K-Probe locks up when using USB devices here…

Yes ltnflash usually works - it’s only in a few occasions I’ve had problems with ltnflash on usb devices.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]Hmz - K-Probe locks up when using USB devices here…

Yes ltnflash usually works - it’s only in a few occasions I’ve had problems with ltnflash on usb devices. [/B]

might be the chipset of the usb enc you are using

I believe my 411s will also be joining the USB enclosure club when I get a chance to pick up the necessary hardware :bigsmile:

i bought my liteon 411s + PCI usb2.0 card + external enclosure firewire + USB 2 combo for 100$ on Ebay. I am able to flash when it is connected through the firewire port but not the USB port. Be carefull when looking for an enclosure.