External Super Multi burner not detected by XP - please help!

Hi. I’ve noticed that a couple of people have mentioned this problem already, but I can’t seem to find a solution.

I’ve just bought a GSA-E10L. It’s alive - the light comes on when I plug it in, and it spins up when I put a disc in - but Windows (XP, SP1) doesn’t detect it when I attach it to my laptop. There’s no error - absolutely nothing happens.

Device manager can’t find the drive and doesn’t report any problems anywhere. Both of my USB ports work fine with other devices. I’ve reinstalled the USB controllers, and that didn’t help.

As you know, LG don’t supply any drivers - they only offer firmware upgrades, which are about as much use as a chocolate teapot if the computer thinks the drive isn’t there to begin with.

Has anybody solved this problem, or does anyone have any suggestions? I’m running out of hair.

Thanks in advance.

PS I haven’t got another machine to plug it into, so that won’t help!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I suggest to install Service Pack 2 for WinXP because the USB ports needs it to work correctly.

Hmm. That’s good, but it doesn’t explain why everything else I plug in works just fine. I’m ever-so-slightly reluctant to install SP2 because the last time I did it (with a different machine) it caused more problems than it fixed.

Any other ideas?

(Thanks, by the way - I don’t mean to sound ungrateful!)

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Indeed I don’t know why other devices works and the burner is not recognized.

Which problems you got exactly with SP2? I have it installed on my computer, and it works.

Try it on a friends and see what happens. Welcome to CDF’s by the way.

<sigh>

I think it’s a safe bet that it’ll work on a different machine - that seems to be the case for other people who have this problem. However, having it work on a friend’s computer defeats the object of buying it. I want it to work on my machine, not someone else’s!!!

yeah i understand. I was just giving you advice to see which one has the problem is all. Good luck…

Testing the drive on a different machine is useful to exclude a damaged drive :slight_smile:

If the drive is not working also on a different machine, it could be damaged.

If on another machine the drive works, then there is definitely something wrong in your computer.

Activation issues, mainly. Legit Windows, but used laptop = no activation key and I can’t be bothered with the hassle. Plus the box says the drive should work with SP1 anyway.

I do understand the logic behind testing it on a different machine, but I work twelve-hour nightshifts and I don’t have a whole host of people within reasonable equipment-lugging distance that I can call on during the two hours a day I have to do stuff. In other words, it ain’t an option. Like I said, judging by other people’s reports (and my eyes and ears), I’m confident the drive isn’t faulty - so I want to just cut to the chase and concentrate on working the bug out of my own system, if you see what I mean. :slight_smile:

OK see yeah…

Hi Guys
I know this is an ancient thread, but I just got a LG GP08 and had the same problem (drive spins up and self-tests, but doesn’t show in dev mgr and apps don’t see it). Thought I’d share the solution for future frustrated peeps.

I tried it on another guy’s almost identical T60 laptop and it worked. Went back to mine and disconnected the USB hub built in to my monitor (even though there was nothing actually connected to it) and it works like a charm. Seems there’s only so much power on a USB root hub/controller.

So, follow the instructions and disconnect other devices, including USB hubs. Hubs with their own power may be OK. I still have the transceiver for my Logitech kbd/mouse plugged in, so some devices are OK.

Share and enjoy!

Peter

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=PeterLearmonth;2470481]
I know this is an ancient thread, but I just got a LG GP08 and had the same problem (drive spins up and self-tests, but doesn’t show in dev mgr and apps don’t see it). [/quote]This is an external slim drive. These draw more power than specified for USB ports (500 mA @5V). It is no surprise if such devices do not work properly if they are not fed with external power.
That said, your problem is not the same :wink:

An USB hub with own power supply might be one possible workaround. Better option: just don’t buy external optical drives without own power supply.

Michael

Go into control panel, un-install all the usb ports, re-boot with the DVD writer plugged in. XP will find the drive at is re-installs the USB ports automatically.

[QUOTE=nctaylor;2500893]Go into control panel, un-install all the usb ports, re-boot with the DVD writer plugged in. XP will find the drive at is re-installs the USB ports automatically.[/QUOTE]

Its way too often people post a problem and during the troubleshooting we are thanking and giving as much feedback as possible to the helper. But when someone finally comes up with the fix it seems everything stops and eventually the original questions morphs into a similar family but different question entirely… We are all guilty of doing this at least once, including myself. And Im not suggesting Agent 3-7 did or will do this at all. Its been 3 years he has probably moved on. But what it is I do have to make the point of is this… Its been 3 years!! And Thank you NCTaylor! Dude there is no rhyme or reason he needed to address this. But he did. N thanks to NCTaylor answering a 3yr old question,:bow: my madness got to stop.
Bro i was searching 2 windows of fully filled tabs with different google searched forums hoping to find out why my LG burner was playing dvds n not burning them whenever it was time to physically burn. I read so many replies from people bashing the person asking the question, or ignoring 50% of the question and suggesting to do something the problemed guy either already did or made it clear it was not the issue. I read people interupting questions with there own, just a tad tweaked to suit there own personal problems. I heard it all. But I swear I only heard maybe 10% AT THE MOST, these posts end off with, " thanks so n so, this is the fix it worked".

So I decided to take the time to create n account here (only to learn i already am a member-small world for good tech support), n write this longass reply just to say thank u to nctaylor. U clearly read and took the time to understand Agent 3-7s issue n rule out the issues him and any others were NOT having. Which in turn helped you realize quite quickly (im assuming) what the fix was.
So thanks bro. Mine has been working ever since, And guess what? When mine stops working again sometime in the next month or so… Im just gonna do the exact same fix again. Because thanks to nctaylor I think I understand the machine is confusing that device or port with something else or it is not picking up (plug n play sort of) when a new device is added. So its kind of like some sort of plug n play service (although not the main one cuz I checked) was not responding. NCTaylors way takes us old school with computers 101 (which I know i forgot to even consider) n a nice reboot does it during bootup. Or in my case I think un-attached itself to whatever it was thinking it was attached to. So what he says makes perfect sense. Then again i could be wrong… but most importantly it works again! Thanks again for everyone else who finds this, reads it, fixes it, n helped try to fix it. N sorry to come off angry to anyone because as I said Im guilty at times. Especially after 8hrs of troubleshooting, I just thought it should be said with great detail.

[I]PS. Ive heard LG doesnt provide drivers, only firmware. If anyone wants to PM me or lemme know here if everyones issue is resolved, where we can get the closest thing similiar to those same drivers could you let me or us know? Might be helpful in the furure.[/I]
Later all… Oh i almost forgot to say this one little thing… Thanks NCTaylor!

[QUOTE=nctaylor;2500893]Go into control panel, un-install all the usb ports, re-boot with the DVD writer plugged in. XP will find the drive at is re-installs the USB ports automatically.[/QUOTE]

Its a posible solution, but in case of hardware errors or software issues it most likely cannot help.

Have you tried re-installing the driver disc that came with the burner? I tried many other trouble-shooting steps, then found it and gave that a whirl even though I swear I installed it before, already, but it worked like a charm

Hi and Welcome!

drivers for external (optical) drives were shipped when Win98 was still under support. By the end of the last century, support for external drives was part of any modern OS.

Michael

Thanks made my external drive work. I had it working once but my own stubbornness refused to accept that my usbs weren’t supplying enough power. Hooked up a 1amp usb wall charger and bam it was recognized.:cool:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2470527]Hi and Welcome!This is an external slim drive. These draw more power than specified for USB ports (500 mA @5V). It is no surprise if such devices do not work properly if they are not fed with external power.
That said, your problem is not the same :wink:

An USB hub with own power supply might be one possible workaround. Better option: just don’t buy external optical drives without own power supply.

Michael[/QUOTE]