External slimline drives - why **MINI** USB?

In the rest of the electronics industry the mini USB connector has been pretty much been deprecated because (among other reasons) of the propensity of the socket to fail - leaving the user with an unuseable device.

This was taken into account when the micro USB connector was developed; i.e. the parts most subject to mechanical wear-out are located on the plug not the socket, so that all can be made new simply by getting a new cable.

As fewer and fewer PC’s have included optical drives (or even half height drive bays at all), the most visible optical disc products these days are external slimline USB drives. I’ve noticed, though, that almost all of the USB 2.0 models continue to use a “blast out of the past” mini USB connector. (The USB 3 versions use a micro connector, probably because the USB 3 mini connector is a rare, ugly piece of hardware).

Any ideas why this might be?

Why do external optical drives not make use of USB-Micro?

Called hardware innovations. As long as it is on the drive side connections not the computer side it’s allow for more powered options that is the reason. You forget why USB3 came about because of power hardware that is the main reason besides the higher data transfer.

Mini USB 2.0 is used on slimline drives even though it is older, and rated at half the insertion cycles and half the current carrying capacity as the newer Micro USB 2.0. How is that “innovation”?

Here’s my theory: none of these manufacturers are making substantial updates to their drives. People are using optical storage less and less these days, so it makes sense that the manufacturers don’t want spend money redesigning their products when there’s hardly anyone using them anyway.

But that’s just a theory. IDK if it’s even close to being true.