External Slim driver or not?

vbimport

Hi to all,

to you suggest to buy an external slim drive or you suggest to buy a 5,25 SATA driver + external BOX?

The 5,25 version is more reliable?

Thanks

Hi,

big is beautyful :slight_smile:

Seriously:
I consider slim drives as “emergency solution”. Due to their small size, there is not much headroom for mechanical stability.
When it comes to external slim drives, most of them are broken by design as they are not USB spec compliant. Only exception I am aware of are some Sony drives that come with an AC adapter.

Michael

Ok,

there are differences between SATA and PATA drivers?

Actually I have a 5,25 external box USB 2.0, I can “recycle” and use with a new driver?

The connector is IDE - PATA

I have see that it can easly opened and changed.

Actually there is some that produces PATA Writer?

Or they are old models?

Let’s clarify a thing: drive is different than drive[B]r[/B] :slight_smile:

There are still some IDE burners (drive) available in stores (not necessarily old drives), and you can certainly recycle the old 5.25" box installing a new drive.

Usually, installing a new drive requires no drive[B]r[/B], because windows automatically installs everything is needed.

[QUOTE=Antigen;2573324]
there are differences between SATA and PATA drivers?[/quote]Different interfaces. For details, you may start with the articles in the Wikipedia.

Actually I have a 5,25 external box USB 2.0, I can “recycle” and use with a new driver?

The connector is IDE - PATA
Yes you can :slight_smile: (For drive vs. driver, see geno’s remark :bigsmile:

Actually there is some that produces PATA Writer?
There are a few PATA drives still available. LG’s GH22xP series is extremely picky with its interface (at least my own drive is), so installing them in an external enclosure is something like gambling.
Samsung’s 22x drives are mediocre, and Liteon’s CD performance isn’t brilliant either :frowning:

So getting an older model isn’t a bad idea at all. Optiarc AD720xA, Pioneer DVR-115, -116 would be good choices. If you can get one.

Michael