External SATA

http://www.itcomputer.com/Union/detail.asp?pno=1110750479

About US$75.

The package includes a PCI SATA card that also have an external SATA port, SATA cable, USB 2.0 cable, and power cable.

It must be cheaper to implement SATA than IEEE 1394 since SATA is standard on almost all desktop PC mainboards manufacturerd these days.

The case is only for PATA 3.5-inch form factor drives. It has 8MB buffer memory. I don’t know what that is good for. Maybe the price includes an 80GB 8MB buffer HDD. Confused.

that is a 80 wire ide cable…I am confused I thought you said it was SATA?

Maybe the back end connector is SATA, it is mentioned its easier to implement than firewire.

<–Dohh should have looke drist, yes it is

What you have to do??? Leave your side cover off to connect? Cut a hole? Case mod time

Click the link, you will see all the accessories are there.

Stand corrected…comes complete…What will someone think of next?

LoL, I’d say, but it would be a very male oriented joke and I think for sexist reasons I will reframe from comment. :stuck_out_tongue:

lol …i guess there is such an enclosure sata for dvd/cd drives? i haven’t searched.

I haven’t seen any. I’d like to see SATA external ports on the motherboard instead of Parallel printer port and 9-pin Serial ports. It’s been like several years since I used much of them.

@rolling56 and @Jamos

I said it’s only for PATA 3.5-inch form factor drives and there’s an PCI SATA card included in my first post. :slight_smile:

I guess the card is SATA and converts to PATA inside the external box… Bit stupid
Oh i know why, there isn’t a SATA to USB converter yet so they have run a SATA to PATA for connecting to the internal card and USB to PATA to run to the USB port so the drive can be portable

What’s stupid?

I’m not sure if there isn’t a SATA-USB conveter. I don’t think nobody has such a converter. Who would buy USB cases for SATA drives when SATA drives cost more than PATA drives and most people use PATA drives only?

Some of the biggest advantages of SATA are long and thin cables, and hot-plugging. One of the biggest disadvantage of USB 2.0 used for HDDs in external casing is bandwidth and speed. SATA should be faster than IEEE 1394b. IEEE 1394b cases are more expensive than SATA cases if both use PATA drives in a common 2.5-inch, 3.5-inch, or 5.25-inch form factor.

It is simply a matter of time (and marketing). Also (and this is just a guess) - companies need to make $$$ to stay in business. It would make sense to first “bridge” existing technologies to new ones. You can’t make a 50 floor building without building the first 49 floors. It is not as if any (single) hardrive out there can saturate an ATA-100 connection.

As a side note, I am not a fan of USB for consistant large/fast data transfers, but that is just me.

-Just be happy!

USB was not invented for such applications, but for simplicity and wider range of applications. It is good that even mobile phones and printers are able to use USB. There are fans and air purifiers using USB interface.

Wireless USB is going to appear in 2005 with any luck.

Gigabit LAN can also play a significant role for those who want to use HDDs externally. 100Mbps is too slow but 1000Mbps should be enough for most. The one I’m going to receive several hours later uses 100Mbps LAN unfurtunately, but it should be enough to play DVD. It’s a portable DivX/DVD/MP3 player with a built-in 2.5-inch HDD.

Looks at his Fredrich Electronic Air Cleaner & wonders why anyone would want to plug an air purifier into a USB port.

http://www.bestaircleaner.com/html/start.asp

Fredrich C-90A - Best Buy award from Consumor Reports Magazine.

[I have SEVERE allergies to dust mites/mold, pollins, and just about anything else organic that grows. If I did not, I would have bought myself a brand spanking new ATI X800 / GeForce 6800 instead.] :stuck_out_tongue: