External Samsung DVD writer scratching CDs

Hello,
I’ve recently purchased an external Samsung DVD x18 writer with lightscribe capabilities.
my first try burning a dvd-r on it was a major crash as I was doing it on my bed, the drive wasn’t perfectly balanced like it would be on a table and so I started hearing REALLY loud screaching noisesto the point of scaring me enough to stop the process. the dvd-r had scratches on it as I looked at it.
I discard the dvd-r and tried again on a balanced surface but this time as I was gently picking it up and moving it with the most gentle care the noises started to kick in again and the dvd-r was scratched.
I’ve noticed that the only way this dvd writer works is if you keep it still and not touch it at all.
now I know I wasn’t suppoed to touch it to begin with when there’s already a spining cd in it, but still, I’m a little concerend with the sensitivity of it and how gentle it has to be handled when used.

is that something common or should I worry about it and return the drive?

Thanks in advance ,

Amir

The only time I had a disc scratched by a writer is when I installed Nero and Roxio on the same system which I later learned have compatibility conflicts, and removing Roxio solved my problem. Try removing either Roxio or Nero if both are installed. If this is not your circumstance, then you probably have a faulty drive that should be returned.

I only use Nero on my machine, It seems weird to me that something like this would be caused by a software issue but more of a hardware if anything.
I just noticed that it’s scratched everytime the CD starts spinning in the drive and not necessarily in the midst of a writing process.
I’m thinking it might be the tray not leaving much free space between itself and the cd once the cd is picked up by the spinner inside the writer.

I wish I knew if this was common amongst this drives and especially this samsung (if anyone by any chance has it) SE-S184.

I could get by with this issue but if it’s a fault that might escalate during time, I would definitely return it.

I just don’t want to rush too quickly into conclusions as the return process might be a little pricey and difficult for me (Ebay purchased, brand new & sealed though).

Thanks for your reply bevills, I would love to hear others’ opinions as well.

Hi [B]amiroquai555[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t move a DVD burner around when burning or reading media - the DVD burner should be kept still on a stable surface.

The disc is spinning at up to 11,000 RPM and it will easily wobble around inside the drive if you move the drive around while the disc is spinning.

There’s nothing wrong with your drive and any other drive spinning a disc at the same speed while you move or shake the drive would likely also result in a scratched disc; you’re lucky if only the disc (and not the drive pickup) was damaged.

[quote=DrageMester;1957124]Hi [B]amiroquai555[/B], welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t move a DVD burner around when burning or reading media - the DVD burner should be kept still on a stable surface.

The disc is spinning at up to 11,000 RPM and it will easily wobble around inside the drive if you move the drive around while the disc is spinning.

There’s nothing wrong with your drive and any other drive spinning a disc at the same speed while you move or shake the drive would likely also result in a scratched disc; you’re lucky if only the disc (and not the drive pickup) was damaged.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply! I feel better now knowing that it’s not a faulty drive.
I know I’m obviously not supposed to move these around while they’re on, but it was just really weird to me how sensitive that thing was to start scratching the cd. I really was super gently moving it when it started happening…

Pickup seems fine for now and the drive is really fast to burn, loving the lightscribe feature but just wish it was a little faster.

Thanks a bunch!:slight_smile:

Amir