External Memorex 20x multi format not working

[qanda]This thread is about the Memorex 32023223 20x Multi Format DVD Recorder. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]:doh:I have owned this external memorex multiformat unit for about 8 -11 months. when I first plugged it in it worked great. Now, I have power to the machine and the door opens and closes. But, my usb is not being found by my computer. The lights to tell you whether the machine is connected at the USB 1.1/2.0 = 1.1 red light 2.0 green light have not been coming on for over 2 months. I have changed out the USB cable several times. CHECKED IT ON MY OTHER 2 COMPUTERS Took it back to FRY’S ELECTRONIC CITY TO HAVE THEM CHECK IT. The results were the same no USB connection or communication. I have to assume that the PCB shorted out. So, is there a way to disassemble the DVD to check and repair the problem? or am I stuck with a non repairable unit?:confused:

Welcome to the forum. :flower:

If you bought the drive new, then the first thing you should be doing is contacting Memorex tech support and trying to get it serviced under warranty, which often lasts until at least 1-year after date of purchase.

Otherwise, you may be able to remove the drive from inside and place it in a new enclosure.

And no, unless you’re an electronics tech, you can’t “repair” the enclosure yourself.