External HDD

Hi! here I am! with a new problem. Dont run away!. It is a hardware issue. This question is written as per the request of my friend. She bought an external HDD an year ago via internet. A few days ago it slipped from her hands and fell onto the floor. The HDD is no longer working. She dont want to loose the data in it by giving it to seagate. I opened the case and I saw an old laptop HDD with a SATA to USB converter on it:D:D:D:D. The case is not damaged but the HDD is not working. What should I do now? Any ideas?

In my opinion the disc is damaged and the only way to recover data is to send it to a specialized company that will open the disc and will recover data directly from platters.

Bear in mind, however, that this operation is hugely costly :doh:

The data inside the HDD is very very important. But how can I ever trust a company for recovering such important data. I’m now thinking about opening it.

I’m now thinking about opening it.

Like Ben Stiller did in ZooLander? Bad idea. That will surely destroy it unless you have a Clean Room, and even then you’ll need some pretty specialized tools.

You should just try to connect it to a normal PC and see if it works. You mention that it is a SATA drive with a converter to USB. Surely you can find a way to connect it to a PC. Maybe you can replace the external enclosure.

If you open the actual hard drive, you’re pretty much screwed.

RM

I have a spaceship:D:D:D. I dont know about any specialized companies working on HDDs. Will you please name one? It is not my HDD but it is now my responsibility to recover the data in it:o;).

[QUOTE=RichMan;2284266]You should just try to connect it to a normal PC and see if it works. You mention that it is a SATA drive with a converter to USB. Surely you can find a way to connect it to a PC. Maybe you can replace the external enclosure.

If you open the actual hard drive, you’re pretty much screwed.

RM[/QUOTE]

I tried everything buddy. But it is not working. I have a new idea! I’m gonna drop the HDD once again :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:. Maybe it will work then.

You can use google to find a company in your area.

This is an example, but I have no idea if they are good or not. :bigsmile:

Recovering data from hard drives with mechanical failure requires the drive to be worked on in a clean room as the drive has to be taken apart and investigated in lab conditions. TECHLOGIC have a fully equipped Class 100 clean room which we use to recover drives with mechanical problems.

[B]Do not be tempted to open a hard disk if you suspect a mechanical fault: there is nothing you will be able to do and you will contaminate the internal clean air environment. There is also a good chance that during this process you will destroy any chance that we have of successfully recovering the data. [/B]
-From techlogic website

Thanks a lot guys. I didn’t know that HDDs are that much sensitive. I actually tried to open it but luckily I couldn’t. Special thanks to geno888 for his help :bow::bow::bow:.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: