External HDD & Windows-7, compatibility issue?

vbimport

Hi all!

Hope you arrived in 2012 intact. Don’t you just hate those time ripples?

New year, new problem…

I have a dilemma.
I’m using a Western Digital 80GB (WD-800) as an external HD, utilizing the case from a Pioneer USB external DVD-RW.
In the past, using W-XP & W-Me (any mfg), it loaded as soon as I plugged in the USB.

I was given a Gateway NV52 (my first PC newer than XP),
[AMD Athlon 64x2 QL-65 / 320GB HDD / 4GB Mem / W-7 Premium Home]

…and it won’t show my external HD. I can’t figure how to manually add the device. Is Windows 7 just too picky?

{{{And I really miss the Quick Launch bar!}}}

Do I need a installer/driver… What’s the fix?

Mike

[QUOTE=VulcanBrat;2618377]Hi all!

Hope you arrived in 2012 intact. Don’t you just hate those time ripples?

New year, new problem…

I have a dilemma.
I’m using a Western Digital 80GB (WD-800) as an external HD, utilizing the case from a Pioneer USB external DVD-RW.
In the past, using W-XP & W-Me (any mfg), it loaded as soon as I plugged in the USB.

I was given a Gateway NV52 (my first PC newer than XP),
[AMD Athlon 64x2 QL-65 / 320GB HDD / 4GB Mem / W-7 Premium Home]

…and it won’t show my external HD. I can’t figure how to manually add the device. Is Windows 7 just too picky?

{{{And I really miss the Quick Launch bar!}}}

Do I need a installer/driver… What’s the fix?

Mike[/QUOTE]

No you shouldn’t need any drive but you should make sure your W7 is updated as well. It’s possible you need some kinda driver from Pioneer since that is one of their drives. So you should go to the pioneer site and then see if there is such a driver for that type of drive.

Hi CoolColors,

Bit of confusion.
Pioneer makes only the “external drive case”. (it was bought as an external DVD-RW)
Western Digital makes the HDD.
…and they don’t offer drivers for the WD800 Internal IDE drive, that I made external for my notebooks.

So, back to the problem.
How to make Windows 7 recognize my external HDD.

Are you having issues with any other usb devices?

Have you tried a different port or different usb cable?

Some newer computers have USB 3 ports that require a separate driver, though if you have Service Pack 1 for Win 7 installed, it should have native support for USB 3.

All the motherboards I’ve seen that have some USB 3 ports also have the older style USB 2 ports as well.

But it sounds like your Frankenstein creation is just not working properly. The case you have does include a chipset that bridges the IDE connection on the hard drive or optical drive with the usb interface. This sometimes requires specific drivers from the case manufacturer. And some legacy equipment just doesn’t work in Win 7, usually due to driver issues. Does it still work in the older computer?

Kerry56,

Yes, it still works just fine through USB on my Dell notebook, HP notebook, and Compaq desktop.
(4 school kids here)
Like a regular plug-n-play device.

I am using the case and power supply from the Pioneer… inside is normal IDE
The USB cable that came with it. Looks like a USB / S-Video cable

Anytime you install a usb device, Windows has to recognize it and install a driver for that particular device. Then at any time that you plug it in, the driver is set up for that device. Windows apparently cannot find the device, or cannot find the driver for it.

If Windows cannot recognize it as a usb device at all, you’ll need to get drivers from the manufacturer of the enclosure and install them manually. But older enclosures don’t always have a driver that is compatible with Win 7. If that is the case, you’re stuck.

Kerry56,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain my problem back to me.
Now I know that if I don’t get the proper fix from Pioneer,
I can just ebay a new enclosure/power supply.

You’ve been a great sport, and understanding.

It’s been a little slice of… (enter favorite dessert here)!

Just get yourself an Adapter like the Link below, and you will be able to read any HDD. :cool:
http://3btech.net/by3usb20toid.html

“any hdd” which has 2.5" or 3.5" IDE or SATA connectors. :wink:

{{{Egg on face}}}

Hi guys,
Problem solved.
My USB cord was being pinched by the keyboard sliding shelf…
wore through and cut a wire. Replaced it… done!

My “Frankenstein creation” still works.
Odd? Sure.
Sloppy? Quite possibly.

Moral… check peripherals and paths.

{{{Egg running down neck… being licked of by a deranged wild-eyed anteater}}}

Now thats an unexpected solution…