External HD not recognized

Hi there,

I’m experiencing big troubles with my SeaGate Barracuda 7200.10 Ultra ATA/100 500-GB Hard Drive (boxed as an external enclosure) and Mac OS X.

This is the link to the manufacturer’s page.

** ISSUES: **

1. When I plug the power adapter, the FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 cable and then turn the disk on, the red LED (disk activity) is permanently active – i.e. it doesn’t stop, even for 1 second.

2. It would be normal for Mac OS X to recognize the partitions and then show them in the Finder. This doesn’t happen, and no partition is recognized.

3. The same thing happens with Windows XP (emulated via Parallels Desktop).

4. However, System Profiler seems to recognize it, as you can see in the attached image.

So the disk is recognized, but no partitions are shown.

The disk has 70.000 h of calculated life and I think it hasn’t done even 0.001% of them yet.

So I’m asking here for help. :frowning:

Have you tried to format the drive?

ehm… that’s what I don’t want to do because in the disk there’s my data :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Have tried to take it out of the enclosure and connecting it to a desktop as slave drive?

If I took it out of the enclosure I’d lose the warranty. This can be done only by the manufacturer i.e. my favorite store. Soon later @ 4:30 PM I will go there and try to make it work with the technicians.

[QUOTE=Tyreksionibus;2201106]Hi there,

I’m experiencing big troubles with my SeaGate Barracuda 7200.10 Ultra ATA/100 500-GB Hard Drive (boxed as an external enclosure) and Mac OS X.

This is the link to the manufacturer’s page.

** ISSUES: **

1. When I plug the power adapter, the FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 cable and then turn the disk on, the red LED (disk activity) is permanently active – i.e. it doesn’t stop, even for 1 second.

2. It would be normal for Mac OS X to recognize the partitions and then show them in the Finder. This doesn’t happen, and no partition is recognized.

3. The same thing happens with Windows XP (emulated via Parallels Desktop).

4. However, System Profiler seems to recognize it, as you can see in the attached image.

So the disk is recognized, but no partitions are shown.

The disk has 70.000 h of calculated life and I think it hasn’t done even 0.001% of them yet.

So I’m asking here for help. :([/QUOTE]

Hi,

if you are running windows, then check the following:

go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> storage -> disk management.

you probably have a drive (located on the bottom right) that is listed with no drive letter, just assign it a drive letter and see if it comes back, if not, the drive is probably not initializing and you might have to either format it or replace it.
Hope this will help…

John
transintl.com

I fear the problem is either with the enclosure or the format MBR structure on the disc itself…