External HD cannot be read?

vbimport

Not sure if I’m posting at the correct board, but for some reason my laptop suddenly refuse to read my External HD. The drive is listed in the Disk Management, but it cannot be initialized (It keeps on saying that "The disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks). Is there any way to fix this? All my data is in that disk.

This sounds like you’ve used this external HD on this computer before, yes? That’s how “all my data is in that disk” occurred, yes?

The Microsoft Error Code (0x80042925 - VDS_E_DISK_NOT_CONVERTIBLE_SIZE) that results in your displayed message is saying that a Partition is being attempted but less than 128Mb is available.

I’m not sure what actions you’re taking to request a Partition Operation. I think “none”! I think you probably just plugged this drive in and the error message popped up, yes?

This makes me wonder if the drive is functional - as in “dead drive” perhaps.

Have you tried to plug this external into another computer?

If the hard drive is larger than 2Tb, you may have trouble on some computers recognizing it. But I’m not sure if they’d refuse to acknowledge it because of the drive’s capacity OR if the drive is ‘dead’. If you can find a Win8-64 or a Win7-64 machine, those should ‘see’ the drive if it’s working.

External hard-drives have 3 types of failures: the drive itself, the electronics-boards inside fail, or the power-supply fails.

Since you’re getting a Partition-Operation based error message, the drive is telling your computer that it exists. The computer is saying, “Yeah, but I don’t like it” so to speak. So Power is probably OK. Electronics may not be - but those usually work 100% or they fail 100%.

This leaves me thinking “Drive failure?” and plugging it into another computer might give a better indication.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2695947]This sounds like you’ve used this external HD on this computer before, yes? That’s how “all my data is in that disk” occurred, yes? [/QUOTE]

It was working until last night, yes.

The Microsoft Error Code (0x80042925 - VDS_E_DISK_NOT_CONVERTIBLE_SIZE) that results in your displayed message is saying that a Partition is being attempted but less than 128Mb is available.

It should still have around 300 GB available. It’s a 500 GB sized disk, and I’ve used up less than half of that

I’m not sure what actions you’re taking to request a Partition Operation. I think “none”! I think you probably just plugged this drive in and the error message popped up, yes?

Not really. I went to the Disk Management menu and there’s a pop-up to Initialize Disk with 2 options of partition style for initialization. The default option is GPT, which would result in the aforementioned error message when selected; and MBR, which would give another error message about I/O device error

This makes me wonder if the drive is functional - as in “dead drive” perhaps.

What does “dead drive” mean?

Have you tried to plug this external into another computer?

Unfortunately, I do not have another computer available. I did try plugging it to a different port, though it doesn’t help.

If the hard drive is larger than 2Tb, you may have trouble on some computers recognizing it. But I’m not sure if they’d refuse to acknowledge it because of the drive’s capacity OR if the drive is ‘dead’. If you can find a Win8-64 or a Win7-64 machine, those should ‘see’ the drive if it’s working.

I’m currently using a Windows 8 laptop. According to the Disk Management, the device is working properly - despite being labelled as an Unknown, Not Initialized Disk in the panel.

Does Disk Management show a drive letter for this drive ?
If not does it give you the option to assign one ?

You didn’t say for sure if this is a GPT disk . If it is you might read this :
http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/repairing.html

Manual recovery may fix the problem.

VHAN, so, I’m confused.

Why were you in DISK MANAGEMENT? That, to me, IS a Partitioning and Formatting operation, where I ‘introduce’ a brand new INTERNAL drive to my system. I can use that to format External drives, or partition them. But I’d expect (even hope!) to see this kind of error if I was trying to partition a drive that already had partitions, or if I was trying to change partition types.

But if it’s been functioning properly - BIG IF, I suppose - then why would I be in Disk Management?

So - was the drive no longer functioning in Win7-32 and you went to Disk Management to investigate, resulting in this other error (this MINIMUM SIZE error)?

“Dead drive” - I meant, if the hard-drive is no longer spinning, not accepting power, etc. I assume you see Power Lights on it. Can you ‘feel’ any vibration? If so, then it’s spinning and not ‘dead’.

(This Disk Management error could be quite a blessing - if you initialize it, you lose all your data.)

I was going to ask if you’d swapped to a different USB port, but I assume you’ve done that. If you haven’t, do all the Connects without any power to either unit. Shut everything down, turn the drive on first, then the computer - and see if there is any different acknowledgement.

If not, then shut the notebook down again, then the hard drive, disconnect USB cable and try a different USB port.

(I am wondering if a USB port could get SOME signal but not enough to acknowledge the drive type. USB port failures are usually All or Nothing, though.)

Christine, I think the "Initialize " option will only be avaiable for a new empty drive. I know none of my externals have the option to initialize . I checked 2 of them to make sure.

For some reason some externals will loose their drive letter & I’ve used Disk Management several times to do that.

Cholla, yes, that’s my experience, too. Seeing an “initialize” option has meant something’s seriously wrong with the ExtHDD. I think that’s why I’m confused about ‘where’ in some process these errors occurred, why Disk Management was accessed, etc.

I fear that the data is [I]kaput[/I], at this point.

If I ever need Hubby’s immediate appearance, and I can always yell out “Should I go ahead and INITIALIZE?” and, like Clark Kent, he magically appears (crashing thru walls, ceilings, etc) only considerably more frazzled looking. “Wh-what?!! Initalize? No no no…” He’s so cute when I frighten him!

I went to disk Management because I tried googling for solutions before posting here and saw someone suggested it.

The light of the HD is on, but it’s not vibrating. So I assume there’s no helping it now because it’s dead? :frowning:

VHan, I think you should assume - at this point - that it’s dead.

When the Disk Manager offers to initialize something, it’s because Disk Manager can’t find a working partition. The fact that it couldn’t find anything larger than 128Mb - fairly TINY! - means that the Drive may have some function but not much.

I wouldn’t declare it dead right now, though. I’d wait until I could find another computer, maybe two - and see if they can ‘see’ the hard drive. There’s always a chance.

But you might prepare for the worst and maybe good things will happen.

I just like to add my 2 cents.

I have a bunch of external drives with different sizes up to 3GB. Some of them always showed up as unpartitioned and RAW…which isnt true. I always went into disk management console and assigned a driveletter, presto.

About some GPT disks: In case you cannot access them using XP you could also boot into Linux to backup the stuff, because by repairing such a disk all data will get lost. :C

Put your drive in a freezer bag.
Put it in the freezer for an hour or so .
Then plug it in your computer .
Will it work even for a short time ?
This may not do anything but at this point it won’t hurt .

I also agree with chef on giving a try with Linux to see if it can see the data on this hdd.

VHAN, you might try CHEF’s suggestion to see if you can assign a drive letter - F: or G: or M: or anything. Just don’t initialize it. See if you can avoid being forced to choose between GPT or any other partitioning, initializing or formatting option. If that doesn’t seem possible, just stop and don’t proceed.

Onto the LINUX… you can download some Linux version and burn the Bootable ISO onto a CD or DVD. Then, reboot your computer with that. Don’t do an “install” - just a “boot to Linux”. Then plug in the External and see if there’s any positive recognition of it.

After this, you can shut down your computer, remove the Bootable Linux CD and put it away. You might be able to use it for virus-battles, later on! Wheee…

Cholla’s “in the freezer” option is sometimes productive.

Since this is a new drive, you might be able to see what Warranty or Service facilities are available, too. Your school should have SOME face-to-face experts. Now’s a good chance to meet them.

Or use cholla’s suggestion in post #4 to assign a drive letter .
Or chef’s in #10 to assign a driveletter.

I just suggested checking for a drive letter first.
If it already has one then assigning a new one usually doesn’t help.

How do we assign drive letter for the disk? The only options I can find for the External HD is Initialize, Offline, Properties and Help

Under CONTROL PANEL…

Computer Management…

Disk Management…

(After a few moments, I’ll see a list of my computer’s drives displayed in the lower right ‘window pane’.)

I can right-click (2nd-button click) on any drive and the pop-up menu SHOULD offer “Change drive letter and path”.

If, however, your ExtHDD is ‘grayed out’ and inactive, you may not get the chance to even see a pop-up menu.

[I](Cholla’s post had this Drive-Letter suggestion but I failed to scroll up far enough or go back and re-read this entire post. I’ve been making too many oatmeal cookies lately to remember all these!)[/I]