External Hardrive - help please

I have a 700MHz CPU with 256MB memory and 20G space.

Now i bought a “External Hardrive and USB2 PCI card”

here is some info about it:

Maxtor A14A200 MTR 200Gb 7200rpm Onetouch Personal Storage 7000 External USB2.0/Firewire

and

ST Lab USB 2.0 4-port + 1 internal PCI

I installed the card and the software that came with the package!

Now i tried to move some files between my 2 drives and it takes me about 8-10 min for 5GB of data to be transfered.

Is this the right speed for USB2 ??

The “Completed Successfully and restart” sreen comes up and tells me that the USB2 driver is installed, but when i check in my “DEVICE MANAGER” i cant find USB2 listed anyware.

Is there something wrong guys ??

“Enhanced USB Controller” will be showing in Device Manager, that’s USB2.
I assure you that you would NOT be transfering 5GB of data in 10 min on USB 1.1.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
“Enhanced USB Controller” will be showing in Device Manager, that’s USB2.
I assure you that you would NOT be transfering 5GB of data in 10 min on USB 1.1.

Thanks dude! That really helped alot.

I’m not quite sure of THAT particular drive that u have there, but check http://dabs.com and see if they stock the same drive. I know for sure that one of the maxtor one touch drives scored absolutely terribly because it corrupted data on a regular basis after a few weeks/months in some cases. its been documented. Just check dabs and see if the write up is for the same drive type as urs. if it is, see if u can exchange it for somethin else. If not, make sure to make backups REGULARLY.