External harddrive/dvdfab

vbimport

quick question would saving the backup dvd data on a ext. hard drive help to maintain the proformence of my pc because sometimes it just seems the more i do the less i get done meaning that my pc gets very slow maybe will go from making a 7 minute copy to later making a 15 minute copy just wondering if the ext. harddrive would help

[QUOTE=chevyeightalot;1997423]quick question would saving the backup dvd data on a ext. hard drive help to maintain the proformence of my pc because sometimes it just seems the more i do the less i get done meaning that my pc gets very slow maybe will go from making a 7 minute copy to later making a 15 minute copy just wondering if the ext. harddrive would help[/QUOTE]
Without knowing the specifics of your system, it’s tough to say where and why you’re bottlenecking. There are some obvious and common causes.
Personally, for me, adding an extra hdd is never a bad thing…
I’ve got 4 of 'em…:bigsmile:
But I can’t advise you that this will cure your problem without knowing more details.

Is your system hdd jammed? Total size?
How much free space?
Have room to put another hdd internally?

Do you do routine maintenance? defrag, run any utilities like CCleaner, Regseeker, AV software, delete the crap that everyone gets in varying amounts, etc., etc.

Please post back with your system specs and we’ll try to help.

total size say 74.4 free space says 27.5 yes i do defrag and disc cleanup but what i was wondering if the dvds was on the ext.hdd would it not keep the main hdd more open and not so crammed up might would have room to put one inside but the ext. i could also hook up to one of my other pcs isn’t that correct

[QUOTE=chevyeightalot;1997504]total size say 74.4 free space says 27.5 yes i do defrag and disc cleanup but what i was wondering if the dvds was on the ext.hdd would it not keep the main hdd more open and not so crammed up might would have room to put one inside but the ext. i could also hook up to one of my other pcs isn’t that correct[/QUOTE]
Yup…I agree…:iagree:
You can also put an internal hdd in an ext. case (decent cases are cheap and quality internal hdds are pretty cheap) and keep the flexibility of going internal or external, but there’s nothing wrong with an ext hdd.

I back up all of my movies onto my computer then transfer them to external hard drives (Western Digital-My Books). Doing this keeps my processor working the way it should and it saves me from having to deal with two copies of every movie I own.
Most of my DVD’s are kept in the closet so the dog doesn’t get them (A lesson we learned the hard way). The only copies I have are the ones we watch over and over.

remember that if making single layer back ups the amount of compression applied will greatly effect the copy speed. so not only does you system have to copy the disc to hard drive but will have to work double to apply the compression during the ripping process.

In terms of PC performance do consdier investing in some tools/software to keep your PC’s heatlh in order. There are many out there on the net and many are free. Types of things you want to be doing on you mahcine or checking are as folllows -->

– Have up to date antivirus software (I used Norton)
– Have a firewall (Zonelabs)
– Use Spyware removers (I use Spybot & one other can’t think of name)

---- Collectivily these keep your PC free from nasties or unwanted programs etc…

– Do a Disk Defragmentation regularly (I used O&O Defrag)
– Monitor what’s in your start-up and review fairly regularly
– Invest in tools to ‘defrag’ your regisrty and clean any broken links etc…
– Invest in tools that montior system perferomance, e.g. downloads, memory usage, Windows effect’s settings, etc…
– Remove any un-used programs that you may have installed “once” and have never since used — I had loads of stuff on my PC that “was” cool at the time but never really served a purpose and have been forgotton about. Sometimes you even make old friends.

— Again collectivily they will help perfromance, especially the defraging.

I can’t remember the tools I use but will try to post later with names.

Best,

Asbac

free tools:

ad-aware, advanced windowscare, avast! 4 home, ccleaner, cleanup, regscrub, regseeker, spybot s&d, tcpoptimizer, treesize free, uptimer4

there is a free online test site called pcpitstop.com, pretty good site with lots of features. just ignore the adds to download their pay software. they give lots of advice and with a little research you will be able to fix the problem areas for free.

also free, highly recommend pc wizard 2008:

Since 1996 PC WIZARD is among the most advanced system information programs on the market. PC WIZARD 2008 is a powerful utility designed especially for detection of hardware, but also some more analysis. It’s able to identify a large scale of system components and supports the latest technologies and standards. This tool is periodically updated (usually once per month) in order to provide most accurate results.

PC WIZARD 2008 is also a utility designed to analyze and benchmark your computer system. It can analyze and benchmark many kinds of hardware, such as CPU performance, Cache performance, RAM performance, Hard Disk performance, CD/DVD-ROM performance, Removable/FLASH Media performance, Video performance, MP3 compression performance.

http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

I use these Tune Up utilities and have found them quite good – this is pay for software rather than freeware but they do provide a trial.

I’m only passing this link on for help and I have no affiliation to this company and I realise these boards are for DVDFab but keeping your comp in good order does help.

Best,

Asbac

[QUOTE=Asbac;1999125]http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

I use these Tune Up utilities and have found them quite good – this is pay for software rather than freeware but they do provide a trial.

I’m only passing this link on for help and I have no affiliation to this company and I realise these boards are for DVDFab but keeping your comp in good order does help.

Best,

Asbac[/QUOTE]

Hey Asbac
If want one of the best go with Advanced System Optimizer it to is not free and has a trial BUT this has 30 Utilities within the program
It is one of the best software I got After DVDFab of course :bigsmile:

EDIT …Sorry O…T