External Hard Drive for HD Vid Content?

vbimport

So, im going to be working with a lot of hd videos now at work. i need more storage for this obviously, and was thinking of getting an external to WORK FROM so i can take it from work to home easily.

is this doable? can you edit HD videos WELL from an external hard drive? will performance go way down or is it still gonna run ok? im thinking usb but not opposed to firewire either. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Well, depending on the USB chipset and version (1, 2 or the latest, 3) the data transfers can take a serious chunk away of the available CPU processing power. Firewire has less troubles with that, but can be less compatible with other software solutions.

My best advice is to purchase an external drive like the WD MyBook Mirror Edition (automatic backup!) and transfer all the necessary files from that external drive to your computer. After processing the files, copy them back. This way you do not require the external device constantly and have a 2 way backup as well.

thanks… it seems like most externals are only 5400rpm tho… do you think that will kill performance too much?

Do you know the bitrate of the video you’ll be moving? Pretty much a no brainer then…

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2517630]thanks… it seems like most externals are only 5400rpm tho… do you think that will kill performance too much?[/QUOTE]

The WD Mybook mirror edition has 7200rpm disks.

See here for a nice review.

cool. thanks for the suggestion. i’ll have to check that one out.