External enclosures: Genesys Logic vs. Cypress

Hi at all,

I could not resist to buy a new external enclosure, at it was so (censored) cheap. It is a Delock 42348, a rebadge of Vipower VP-6228T.
That beast is really Heavy Metal (where’s the headbanger smilie? I need it urgently :bigsmile: ), no alloy, but real steel. And indeed the manufacturer’s website states: “True Metal” Yeah! :bow:
Other nice features:

• adjustable fan control (there is a bunch of jumpers for that)
  • audio connectors
  • power and drive access LEDs :slight_smile:
  • excellent manual (the first one that clarifies, how the drive jumpers should be set)
    Chipset is Genesys Logic GL811E

Let’s see how it compares with my Sharkoon Swiftcase alias Zynet CD-R4-U2 that is equipped with Cypress CY7C68300A (AT2) chipset. To do that, I connected my Liteon SHM-165P6S. I did a write simulation with CD/DVD Speed and a read test.

First two pictures show the write simulation with 16x rated TDK TTH02 (made by MBI). First is with Cypress AT2, second with GL811E.
Picture 3 is read test with Cypress AT2, followed by GL811E.

I second that.
I’m using Mapower cases with Genesys Logic GL811E-04 chipset with my Plex Premium, my Benq 1620 and my LiteOn.
The LiteOn is the only drive to reach full 16x write speed and high read speed due to it’s UDMA-4 capability.
My Benq reaches only 14x write/read.

I just bought two enclosures with Cypress CY7C68300A-56PVC chipset (Evertech THD5230B Enclosure).

I’m only getting 7 MB/s burst rate for a NEC ND-3500AG and a BenQ DW1655 in the enclosure, and I tested on both my laptop and desktop PCs, both of which reach 21-23 MB/s with Prolific PL-3507 based enclosures and UDMA Mode 2 drives.

Is the Cypress chipset firmware upgradeable? (I can’t find any info on this)

Is the 7 MB/s normal with many drives in this enclosure?

I have seen others achieveing 16x reading in enclosures based on this chipset here at CDF, but I’'m getting only 5.7x or so. :frowning:

Any suggestions or comments?

Hi,

Then there is something wrong. I can’t tell about the NEC, but I have a Philips DVDR1660 (if I would, I could make a Benq 1655 of it;)) in a Zynet CD-R4 enclosure, equipped with exactly the same chipset. Burst rate is about 21 MB/s, you should reach 12x speed without problems.

Is the Cypress chipset firmware upgradeable? (I can’t find any info on this)
I don’t know either. Some time ago, I searched for this, but without success.

Is the 7 MB/s normal with many drives in this enclosure?
No.

I have seen others achieveing 16x reading in enclosures based on this chipset here at CDF, but I’'m getting only 5.7x or so.
Try one of your 16x Liteys in that box. It should reach full speed. If you still get only 7x, then return the enclosures to the vendor.

Michael

EDIT: You are not alone: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1702331&postcount=1006

I might add this link, too: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=805385&postcount=133

Thanks, I found that already before I posted my question, but unfortunatley it only mentions the problem and not a solution.

I’m going to test the other enclosure to see if the first one is “special”, and I’ll also test my LiteOn 1635S in the enclosure. With 7 MB/s burst rate it’s only really suitable for CD drives. :frowning:

That sucks :(…and I thought I was unlucky with 17 MB/s!

Hi,

I consider this enclosure as defective. With your Benq, you should get about 20-21 MB/s burst rate.
Silly question: The drive’s jumpers are set to master?

Michael

Yes the drives have both been set as Master. I haven’t got around to trying the other enclosure or my Litey drive yet, but I will.

Tested my Evertech THD5230B Enclosures (Cypress CY7C68300A-56PVC chipset) with my LiteOn SHW-1635S, my LiteOn SOHR-5239V, and my Plextor PX-W1610TA and got 7 MB/s burst rate with all three drives and with both enclosures.

I also tried setting the jumpers to Slave but that didn’t improve anything.

Since it would be too expensive IMO to return these to Germany where I bought them (200 DKK ~ €27 for sending them by post), I’m going to use them for my two CD-RW drives. I can burn at 32x, read at 48x and scan at 52x with the LiteOn SOHR-5239V and that’s OK with me.

Soooo, I’m looking at some Genesys GL811 chipset enclosures. Do you think there’s a risk of getting a version of the GL811 that doesn’t support at least 12x reading/writing?

I can’t find any more specific infotmation than its based on “Genesys GL 811”, but they also sell the same enclosure with a Pioneer 110D installed, so presumably it can handle 16x writing.

Any thing I should be aware of with the Genesys GL 811?

Hi,

This is really bad. There seems to be indeed some way of flashing the bridgeboard: http://forums.hardwarezone.com/printthread.php?t=1506538

Since it would be too expensive IMO to return these to Germany where I bought them (200 DKK ~ €27 for sending them by post),
Hey, thats, what I paid for my Delock case, shipping included. I would contact the dealer anyway as he should know that he is selling poor goods. Also, you should drop the people at evertech a line: http://www.evertech.de/de/contact.php

Soooo, I’m looking at some Genesys GL811 chipset enclosures. Do you think there’s a risk of getting a version of the GL811 that doesn’t support at least 12x reading/writing?
Yes. I have heard from older revisions, that were poor with certain drives. You should get the most recent version, that is GL 811E-04. My OEM Vipower6228T and a cheap noname case are equipped with this. Maybe the older versions aren’t available any more.

Any thing I should be aware of with the Genesys GL 811?
I haven’t tested my Philips in one of my GL811E enclosures thoroughly, but my Sony/Litey runs very nice with that.

Michael

Thanks, Michael! :flower:

I’ve registered at hardwarezone.com and posted a question there in the hope of upgrading my Cypress chipset to a higher burst rate.

I think I’ll try to order one of the Genesys GL811 enclosures and see how it works.

I have two versions of GL811E. One is 02, and the other is 04. Compatibility is good with BenQ, NEC, Liteon drives. Though speed is the other way around, I can only reach 16X full speed with Liteon 165P6S.
I suggest to get NEC chip externals, they can reach 18X pretty easy with almost drives. GL811 is ok if you are fine with 12X burning. Frankly speaking, I tend to use 165P6S to burn at 6X in GL811E-04. :o

Hi,

This is “normal” as the Litey is the only UDMA-4 drive in your list. UDMA-2 drives like the Benq indeed are limited to 12x in external cases.

Frankly speaking, I tend to use 165P6S to burn at 6X in GL811E-04.
Well, this is your own decision. :smiley:

Michael

I am satisfied with 3 externals(1 NEC, 2 Genesys) now. Though I can’t resist to buy new burners, it’ll be never enough.
I am going to get Pioneer 112D, it looks good. :bigsmile:

drageMester, have you had any success?

Nope. I decided to use my two Cypress based enclosures for CD-RW drives where the 7 MB/s burst rate isn’t as big a problem.

My Genesys GL811E based enclosure is working fine with my LiteOn SHW-1635S drive.

Ok. Have you tried to write directly to that forum member? I am still interested in it and I would like to contact him (and registering in another forum just for a single question is annoying :slight_smile:

No, I didn’t contact that member directly.

The thread in question: Target: overcome the 4X ‘limit’!

Wow… maybe I solved the problem of finding software+eeprom:
http://www.frankvh.com/usb2.htm for the eeprom.
I also searched the cypress website for cy4615 dev kit, they have nor more the “a” version, but they make the “b” version available for d/load.
The “b” version with the file provided in the above mentioned page should do the trick!