External enclosures for an internal DVD drive/burner

vbimport

can one use & have an internal DVD drive/burner in an external enclosure? is there a such thing as external enclosures for them? can one make an external DVD burner out of an internal model?

can anybody recommend models/ setups for under 60.00?

I see a whole bunch of LG burners on amazon for around 20- 60.00 dollars.

One reason I am considering a new burner is I have bee ripping my CD collection to flac with dBpoweramp, & it is a good program, but alot of my CDs are ripping with errors. And the results are a bit inconsistent, some times a rerip will get insecure warning, in one drive, errors in another, & sometimes, one drive cannot rip without errors, & I put the same CD in the drive above my 1st drive & it would be fine. I have tried cleaning my CDs & all sorts of tricks for scratched CDs. I get errors with CDs that look fairly clean to my eyes, & clean rips from CDs that look scuffed up.

I could replace some of the CDs but that would get expensive as I have a bag full; about 20 or more CDs that had problems ripping.

So perhaps just getting a new burner may help.

This is the sort of thing that you’ll need: http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-5-25-esata-usb-drive-enclosure-5CC5.html?q=external%20enclosure%205.25" That’s from dabs based in the UK, but you’ll probably find similar products at newegg etc.

The 5.25" bays tend to be expensive, though, so you’re unlikely to be able to find a solution that’s cheper than buying a pre-built external drive.

Slainte

midders

You should use EAC (exact audio copy) its the best for ripping CD’s to FLAC or whatever. It reads the levels of error correction built into the CD and is able to read CD’s that would normally skip without any issue.

Do you want to buy an external CD/DVD drive that is already in an enclosure? or do you already own a drive and want an empty enclosure.

I would like to buy a normal internal enclosure & put it in an external enclosure.

Or an external DVD/CD burner that is already in an enclosure.

either way, I would like it to work with both a PC & a Mac.

Oh well, I guess I should not have purchased dbpoweramp, it seems fairly good, did not realize EAC is better. The interface of dbpoweramp was easier for me to use.

one reason I ask is I have read that laptop drives are bad.

Newegg has a lot of choices. LITE-ON USB 2.0 External 24x DVD Writer Model eHAU424-08 $59

Link to external ODD catagory

Hi,[QUOTE=Sossity;2497844]can one use & have an internal DVD drive/burner in an external enclosure? is there a such thing as external enclosures for them? can one make an external DVD burner out of an internal model?[/quote]Yes, Yes and Yes :slight_smile:

can anybody recommend models/ setups for under 60.00?

I see a whole bunch of LG burners on amazon for around 20- 60.00 dollars.

One reason I am considering a new burner is I have bee ripping my CD collection to flac with dBpoweramp,
See if you can get a LG GE20NU[B]10[/B] (or GE20LU[B]10[/B] same, but with Lightscribe). This is a very good drive for DAE.

There is also a newer model - GE20NU[B]11[/B] - on the market. I have no idea about the performance of that drive, so you’re better off with the older model.

Michael