External Enclosure/Power Supply for Sony Optiarc AD-7240S

vbimport

Hello fellow CD Freaks! I still like the old name :slight_smile:

Can someone please help me with this? I am hoping to get a Sony AD-7240S for use as an external reader/burner. However, I have found a problem with the power requirements of this model as it needs: 12V@2.5A and 5V@1.5A. There were two external enclosures that I was interested in but the power supply of each was rated at 29 watts and technically insufficient for the needs of this 24X dvd burner which seems to need at least 37.5 watts ( that is 12V x 2.5A plus 5V x 1.5A). The enclosures are the Welland ME-340J and the Vantec NST-530SU. Even most external power supplies for HD/DVD are rated at only 12V@2A and 5V@2A which again is insufficient for the 12V@2.5A requirement.

Does that mean that there is going to be a serious power supply problem if I try to use the combination of the Sony AD-7240S and either the Welland or Vantec enclosures or indeed any of the gererally available 12V@2A 5V@2A power supplies? Have any fellow CD freaks managed to successfully use this exact combination at the maximum rated burn/read speed of 24x DVD without any damage to either burner or enclosure? The last thing I want to do is to buy the burner and find that I cannot use it as an external burner. Or worse still causing damage to either or both the burner and the enclosure after I buy this.

Thanks in anticipation for anyone who can assist :bigsmile:

Hi,

I got the same drives, and the same problem…
I got a iHAS424 (same power requirement, 12V 2,5A and 5V 1,5A) in Vantec NST-530SU enclosure, and it does work fine, except @24x (22x is ok). Dont’ know if the enclosure will last long, since it’s power supply is rated 12V 1,8A and 5V 1,5A, but it works.

I also got a AD-7240S in a Mapower KC51CS enclosure, I had to replace 12V 2A power supply by a 12V 5A one, and it works too (never tried 24x, but 20x is ok).

I have the Sony AD-7240S installed in a Vantec NST-530SU and it works fine, no issues, so you should be fine.

[B]@Lithium466[/B] Thanks for your reply and advice. It seems that we are in agreement about the marginal power supply when used with these newer high drain DVD burners and the possibility of shortened component life associated with that. I am glad that you are able to get 22x out of that combination. May I ask if it was with esata or usb? Were the buffers stable or wildly fluctuating during the 22x burn? I may be wrong but I suspect that the quality of the burn may be degraded too as the laser/transport runs out of clean power? Do you get 16x burns that are a lot better in quality? How long have you used this combination?

[B]@Bob_Collins[/B] Thanks also for your reply. When you say that it works fine, at what max speed dvd burning are you able to successfully burn say a 16x rated Verbatim + or - disc? Are you also limited to the 22x max that Lithium466 is able to achieve? If you are able to get full 24x burning would you like to comment on the buffer during recording, is it stable or wildly fluctuating?? May I ask if it was with esata or usb? Are your 16x burns much better in quality compared with your max burn speeds? How long have you used this combination?

Thanks again you two :slight_smile:

Anyone else with this combination who can comment further?

How long… almost 2 months now. I’m using esata, usb is stuck @16x at best.

The buffer is fluctuating “normally” during the 22x burn, no burning problem (check esata controler, I’m using Intel ICH9M esata port, no problem with it, but some jmicron are crappy…for exemple), burning quality is the same as when the drive is used “internally” with a good power supply, whatever the speed choosen (except 24x, I only tried once, and burned failed)

Isn’t 12V mainly used for the spinning motor ?

With AD-7240S series, the maximum burning speed of Verbatim 16x is 20x for the moment, you have to use TY to reach 24x (and IMO you’d better chose 16x speed)

[QUOTE=straightflush;2500358][B]@Bob_Collins[/B] Thanks also for your reply. When you say that it works fine, at what max speed dvd burning are you able to successfully burn say a 16x rated Verbatim + or - disc? Are you also limited to the 22x max that Lithium466 is able to achieve? If you are able to get full 24x burning would you like to comment on the buffer during recording, is it stable or wildly fluctuating?? May I ask if it was with esata or usb? Are your 16x burns much better in quality compared with your max burn speeds? How long have you used this combination?
[/QUOTE]

I don’t try to overburn media, so I have limited my burn speeds to 16x. I have used both the USB and eSATA. One strange thing about this enclosure, you can only have 1 cable type (eSATA or USB) plugged into the back of the case at a time, even if the other end is not connected to anything.

Thank you again to both [B]Lithium466[/B] and [B]Bob_Collins[/B]. From both your comments, it seems that if I were to arbitrarily limit all DVD burns to 16x with say Verbatim media, then this combination may well be both reliable as well as being able to provide good quality burns.

[B]@ Lithium466[/B] I do not know what exactly the 12V powers but as a guess I would agree with you on the motor since a lot of power would be required to spin up those discs to high rpms required for 24x burning.

All in all a learning and research lesson for me but again a kind thanks to the contributions of the community here :slight_smile: