I tried cross-flashing the firmware (I didn't encounter too many problems, suprisingly), and it kind of worked... kind of. When I tried to burn with the official drivers, it stopped almost instantly (only once I managed to get to 2%), now it keeps getting me errors but on retrying it succeeds. Nonetheless, it fails to finalize the discs I burn, so it didn't really work - and of course neither to the DVDs.
Well, thanks for the help, I almost hoped it would work for a moment, but I guess I'll have to wait until that enclosure I've ordered arrives.
For MysticEyes, the 111D was released in 2006, I think... I bought it because it was cheap and it had good reviews - was even recommended by some people as the best burner ever. Well, anyway I don't usually burn at more than 4X, so I don't think that would be a problem.
After a bit of searching, anyway, I found an enclosure that seems like it could work... it will be arriving in a couple of days, so I guess I'll find out soon enough if it was a good investment.