External enclosure CD\DVD drive problem

I have a Syba SY-UEN-5SL external drive enclosure.
The drive I have in it is a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L(Samsung).

I found the problem when I tried to write(burn) an Audio CD with this drive. Using ImgBurn.
The error I get is:
“Failed to write sectors # -# - Reason: No Additional Sense Information”
This repeats several times with different sectors.

I know this indicates bad media sometimes . I have however successfully written to a similar internal drive to the same media.
Since I was testing with a CD -RW I used the same disc after erasing.
The internal drive is a : TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H662A(Samsung).
So IMO it is not the media.

To add to this I get the same results with my laptop Windows 7 OS.
Old backup computer with XP pro & main desktop with Vista.

I have successfully written the following with this drive:
Data CD with .mp3s.
DVD both DVD compliant format movie & a Data DVD with .mp3s.
So it can write to a CD just not as an Audio CD.

I tried several other Audio CD writing software as well with no success.

The Syba SY-UEN-5SL chip is a Vendor : Prolific Technology PL2506 .

This unit was posted here at myce . I wondered if anyone else bought one & had similar problems ?
I wanted to use it as the main CD/DVD drive for my laptop.

http://club.myce.com/f58/newegg-shellshocker-syba-sy-uen-5sl-5-25-usb2-0-aluminum-external-enclosure-12-99-free-shipping-304431/

Has anyone had this problem with their enclosure or drives ?
Even different brands or models.

My suspicion is still the chip in this enclosure & the way it communicates with this drive. I may eventually try another drive . I just hate to take out a drive that is doing most of what I want it to. My internal drives write CDs fine. Except I haven’t used the laptop internal but to test a few times. I didn’t check the quality because I don’t intend to use it unless necessary.

I was hoping LIGHTNING UK! might respond to the ImgBurn message.

Are you sure you weren’t going past the disc’s capacity with that burn? Also, check the disc surface for visible issues (scratches, color variation, etc.) You don’t typically want to write Audio to CD-RW anyway- playback is much more iffy.

[QUOTE=seetheviz;2682954] Are you sure you weren’t going past the disc’s capacity with that burn? [/QUOTE]
I posted this above but maybe not clear enough.
I used the exact same CD-RW & the exact same rip when I used the internal drive. The write went fine & sounded fine .
So no I wasn’t going past the disc’s capacity

[QUOTE=seetheviz;2682954]
Also, check the disc surface for visible issues (scratches, color variation, etc.)
[/QUOTE]
Since this CD-RW worked fine with the internal drive I don’t think any of those are the problem.

[QUOTE=seetheviz;2682954]
You don’t typically want to write Audio to CD-RW anyway- playback is much more iffy. [/QUOTE]
I was just using the CD-RW as a test disc . Once I got a copy to work with it I was going to use a CD-R . I just didn’t want a coaster.

My conclusion is the Prolific Technology PL2506 chip in the enclosure is not completely compatable with the TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222L(Samsung) drive. It can’t write a CD -R or RW Audio CD in this enclosure.

I could test with another drive I have but since it is working for what I usually use it for writing a DVD I’m not going to at this time. Since my internal drives on my desktop can write an audio CD with no problem.

The laptop was just in case I needed a backup.

Have you checked with Syba or possibly Prolific for updates to the firmware/drivers? Maybe there’s a bug out there that could be solved by an update.

And I do still think you should burn a CD-R as a test, and not just CD-RW. Whatever the incompatibility is, it’s possible it’s only occurring with CD-RW, or that CD-RW.