External drive that allows you to snap DVD in place?

Hey all, I’m looking to buy an external DVD drive to be my primary backup device.

With most of my past DVD drives, at one point or another, they have ejected while the CD/DVD was still spinning, causing damage to the disc. With laptop drives, you usually snap the disc in place, so it can never get scratched up as a result of spinning while ejecting.

I know that the laptop drives are very different from desktop drives (the optical lens “ejects” when you open the laptop drive, versus just a tray for most desktop drives), but I’m wondering if there are any external desktop drives that have the laptop snap functionality.

I think you are wrong.

Slot in drives are really more dangerous to media than any tray mechansim/loading drives!!!

[QUOTE=chef;1947360]I think you are wrong.

Slot in drives are really more dangerous to media than any tray mechansim/loading drives!!![/QUOTE]

I agree. :iagree:

the only dvd device ive ever had that leaves a disk spiining while ejecting is my daughters portable dvd player. and that is only because you have to open it up, no manual eject mechanism.

NO. There is no such desktop drive like you want. I’d say the brake is not working right if it keeps spinning when ejected.

Buy a lappy drive and hook it up to your desktop with the required cabling/adapters.

Plextor makes a external usb DVD burner that has a laptop drive in it.:bigsmile:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

chef and THE C, what makes slots in drives more dangerous than the tray mechanism?

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;1947994]Plextor makes a external usb DVD burner that has a laptop drive in it.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Samsung also :wink:

[QUOTE=mciahel;1948032]Samsung also ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. BTW, I guess what I’m looking for is called top-loading, right? Sorry for the noob question

[QUOTE=avhokie;1948035]Thanks. BTW, I guess what I’m looking for is called top-loading, right? Sorry for the noob question[/QUOTE]:disagree:
Something like this: http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SE-T084L-Slimline-DVD-Burner-Review
(Notebook drive in external enclosure).
But honestly, I’d really prefer an external standard half-height drive. Never had a problem with spinning discs after having pressed the eject button.

Michael

EDIT: Just noticed, that the Samsung drive is a slot-in type :doh:
EDIT2: Maybe LG E 50 series (http://www.lglounge.de/microsite/download/datenblaetter/GSA-E50L.pdf)

[QUOTE=avhokie;1948035]Thanks. BTW, I guess what I’m looking for is called top-loading, right? Sorry for the noob question[/QUOTE]I’m guessing something like a boom box player? Push on the lid and it opens?

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;1947994]Plextor makes a external usb DVD burner that has a laptop drive in it.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Which is a rebadged Pioneer. :smiley:

[QUOTE=avhokie;1948012]Thanks for the replies everyone.

chef and THE C, what makes slots in drives more dangerous than the tray mechanism?[/QUOTE]

Such drives have kind of rubber to absorb dust etc…and this becomes the main problem sooner or later, beside the big hole. :bigsmile:
Top loading external burner? Never seen such a device…

[quote=avhokie;1948012]Thanks for the replies everyone.

chef and THE C, what makes slots in drives more dangerous than the tray mechanism?[/quote]
My guess would be they are more likely to scratch the media as it gets dragged in and pushed out of that slot…

Sry, didn’t look directly above my post…Already answered.

My very first external drive was a 1X NEC CD-Rom with a ‘Clam Sheel’ (flip open) case. It also had. iirc, a 50 wire SCSI umbillical and a full size SCSI controller card.

chef and THE C, what makes slots in drives more dangerous than the tray mechanism?[/quote]

My car had a slot CD player and i always got problems of CD not ejecting properly especially the once I burned using shiny silver disc. It seems the disc was so slippery the pick up mechanism slipping on it.

Re: Slot vs Tray? I prefer the tray because i can use 8 CM disc :iagree:. Easier to manual eject if Disc is stocked inside as long as you have a paper clip. In my car as I said I have to remove the face to pinch the CD out as eject fail to push it out.

With the clip one like the Lap Top, There’s also a slight disadvantage of it because if you didn’t clip it on properly there’s the chance that the disc spin will be unbalanced and become noisy at worst can’t be read even though the laser auto sensing try to follow it. In tray it all done automatic so more chances that it will be perfectly alighned in the spinner mechanism.