External burner

I have a Samsung SE-204N burner which came with Nero Express 6 software.Have a few problems: 1) burned photos on CD-R and CD-RW discs successfully.However can only play on my computer through Nero showtime but not on Windows Media player nor on other computers in house.Also will not play on Regular DVD.
2)Attempted to burn pc video files to DVD-RW .Goes through all the steps but will not record.
ANY help is appreciated.Also, what is best and simplest burner and software combo to record photos and video clips that can then be played on any computer and Dvd Player?

Hi,[quote=papaj1;2216714]I have a Samsung SE-204N burner which came with Nero Express 6 software.Have a few problems: 1) burned photos on CD-R and CD-RW discs successfully.However can only play on my computer through Nero showtime but not on Windows Media player nor on other computers in house.Also will not play on Regular DVD.[/quote]seems as if you chose a proprietary format that is only supported by Nero.

2)Attempted to burn pc video files to DVD-RW .Goes through all the steps but will not record.
Is there any error message? Please post the log file (but remove your Nero serial before posting, please).

Also, what is best and simplest burner and software combo to record photos and video clips that can then be played on any computer and Dvd Player?
Unless you have a bad drive, the burner does not matter.
Any other thing is software related.
For pictures, a plain data CD with the images should do.
For video, there are millions of formats. The end result must be a DVD video compliant folder structure, that can be burned as Video DVD with Nero (or ImgBurn). You might browse our software sub-forums for more information, please.

Michael

[QUOTE=papaj1;2216714]
2)Attempted to burn pc video files to DVD-RW .Goes through all the steps but will not record.[/QUOTE]

Do you also have the same problems when you burn the same video files to a DVD+R or DVD-R disc?