External Burner

Any suggestion for an external burner?

What I want:
External
Atleast 16x
Will bitsett (perferbably with dvdfab)
Available on the internet (US)
not a lite-on

Good luck finding one that can actually hit 16X on USB.

My 18x samsung has hit 18.2x via usb2

I’m not really concerned about getting max speed i just want something that is 16x or higher

I’m really looking for one that can be my main burner.

http://www.plextor-europe.com/products/px-755uf.asp?choice=PX-755UF

this is the one i have and i am very happy with it.

I was actually looking at this one, well actually ordered it but the only place I could find it in the US is at Dell.com and they kept postponing the shipping date so I just canceled my order.

So is there any other suggestions?

Sure, if you feel adventurous… try the new LG GSA-E60L: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8363415&type=product&id=1177717702793. It will burn well at 16x. Stay out of the 20x land and you’ll be fine.

You might try the Pioneer DVR-X122S6 - the external version of the Pioneer 112. On sale for $70 (normally $100) this week at Best Buy.

How is it at burning and bitsetting?

I can’t speak for the external model, but the internal model that I own does a good job of burning, especially with verbatim double layer DVD+R.

Unfortunately, you need to use third party firmware (which voids the warranty) to be able to bitset single layer DVD+R. Or you can just use single layer DVD-R and not worry about it. Double layer DVD+R is automatically bitset (always gets booktyped as DVD-ROM with no input on the user’s part).

…I think I’ll pass on it.

I am returning the Pioneer 112 DVR to Bset Buy. I tried for almost a month everything to try and get it to burn DL. Here’s the response I got from Pioneer support -

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

This drive is a plug and play drive so no additional drivers will be needed other than the ones loaded by your Microsoft operating system. I would recommend returning the unit back to the store if it is
not recognizing the double or dual layer discs you are trying to burn.

Thank You,

Curtis
Customer Service Representative

I think Best Buy only has a 15 day return policy on drives.

Hi,
I am looking for a external dvd burner that comes booktyped (bitsetting). I do not care what the model is or speed as long as it is at least 8x. I usually burn at 4x anyway.

The main popint is that I do not want to have to manually do it, as I am not too experienced with it. I did it with my NEC 8x burner that was a long time ago.

Any Advice?

[quote=ofield;1946443]Hi,
I am looking for a external dvd burner that comes booktyped (bitsetting). I do not care what the model is or speed as long as it is at least 8x. I usually burn at 4x anyway.

The main popint is that I do not want to have to manually do it, as I am not too experienced with it. I did it with my NEC 8x burner that was a long time ago.

Any Advice?[/quote]
Use ImgBurn to burn and it will automatically booktype, once you tell it to the first time.