External 16x DVD Writers

Hey guys, I read that with UDMA/33 writers, you cannot reach speeds higher than 12x (and this even when you’re lucky) when connecting via USB 2.0. How does LG, BenQ, etc. achieve the required transfer rates then? Their external products advertise 16x writing speed and I am sure 18x external drives will follow soon.

Also, why is there such a limitation for optical drives, while external HDDs can transfer faster?

These are all UDMA-4 drives:
LG-GSA 2164/2166 <-- LG GSA-4164/4166 (Panasonic Chipset, UDMA 4)*
Benq EW-164B <-- Benq DW-1640 with UDMA 4 firmware (Crossflashing possible)
Philips external <-- rebadged Liteons, UDMA 4 capable
Samsung external <-- ??? either Mediatek or Panasonic chipset, possibly special firmware

• LG GSA-4167 and H10N can be crossflashed to UDMA-4 capable Hitachi firmware

Also, why is there such a limitation for optical drives, while external HDDs can transfer faster?
Have you ever tried an old UDMA33 HDD on an USB/IDE connection?

Michael

Thanks for the information. Do you know if the E10L from LG is an UDMA-4 drive then? I think it’s based on Renesas (or Panasonic?).

Also, why is it important that the interface is UDMA-4 when connecting via USB? I mean, UDMA/33 when connected over IDE is fast enough to transfer data for 16x burns. USB 2.0 also seems to be fast enough since UDMA-4 drives can also reach 16x. What is the problem with UDMA/33 and USB (sorry if I sound too harsh or something, that isn’t my intention - I really would like to know the technical reason for this limitation).