With all of the problems with external enclosures, I decided to do some testing and post the results. I took a Verbatim MCC 03RG20 16X â€“R discs and used it for all simulated burns. I also used a burned â€“R disc to measure the burst rate. Only one Liteon burn had any background activity, and it was minimal.
For those who want a summary, I list it below. For those who want to see the burn graphs, they are also posted.
All burns were on Plumax 525 series enclosures. The first were utilizing the Cypress AT2+ chip connected by USB2. The second was the Prolific 3507 chip with the 112805B firmware, connected through firewire. The last burns were with the same Prolific case connected through USB2. Links to the exact cases and firmware are at the bottom of the post.