Explorer.exe causes 100% CPU Usage

This has been happening to me quite a bit these days. Say I extract some files from a few compressed files, then decide to either move or delete them, I give the command but nothing would change on the screen, then if I try to move to another folder or close that folder the icon would remove on the taskbar, or if I chose to open another folder nothing would happen.

Then if I check Task Manager, it would say explorer.exe is using close to 100% of the cpu and its eating more memory every minute, I tried once to leave it like that for a night and see if it would solve it self, turns out the pc just freezed. To solve this, besides restarting, I usually just select the explorer.exe proccess, then right click on it and tell it to end, then of course the task bar and desktop would disappear and then I would be left with just my wallpaper and task manager, if I had told windows to open internet explorer or a folder it would then open, so then I would tell task manager to run “explorer.exe” and that would turn it all ok again, until the problem occurs again.

I have WinXP, SP1, and all the latest Windows Update fixes. I also read on knowledge database about this explorer.exe 100% thing but its like it’ll be fixed with SP1 release but it didn’t. Now I’ve read a lot of people have the same problem:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=winxp+explorer.exe+100+cpu+usage
http://forums.itweek.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=17&thread=9537
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/3988/

I have noticed that a similiar thing also happens with large (700mb) video files, especially damaged ones, where explorer is trying to read the file infos. Turning off status bar definitely does help, and it certainly would explain why it also happens a lot with compressed files, since windows I think likes to track the files inside as well so it would like to read everything before a command it issued. However, even with status bar and indexing service off, the problem still happens from time to time. Besides, I like the status bar.

Anyone have any other advises, I’m pretty sure with a forum this big I’m not the only one unlucky enough to have this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Ruibing

dfourthhorseman,

i had same problem and this is how i fixed it …mine happen when i went to browse any folder that had video’s it in …it would lock up pc … only if the video’s was damaged or if you had alot in one file …then it really screwed up … let me know if this works for you too …

Here’s the best way to do it:

click Start>Run and enter regedit

You will navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

by clicking the + signs beside

Hkey_Classes_Root
SystemFileAssociations
.avi
shellex

>> then select (highlight) PropertyHandler

>> next Click File > Export and give the file a name. Then export (save) it to a convenient location before deleting it. It can be restored later if necessary by clicking the saved .reg file

>> after saving it, Right click on the PropertyHandler folder in the left hand pane and select “Delete”

I’ve included a screenshot to show you what it looks like

also this helped me in moving and copying large files …video files and other files like you described too

I think I already tried something like that, the steps are quite different but the explanation was about the same:

I have recently installed Windows XP SP1 update and have found that the problem with avi files causing 100% cpu usage started happening all over again. I tried to do the original tweak shown on the site, but the registry key specified was already deleted. I searched around and found this tweak that fixes the problem, in both the original release of Windows XP and the SP1 update.

The ultimate solution

To correct the misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

“HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850D C73E}\InProcServer32”

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails. I really think Microsoft is trying to make sure people only use mpeg.

I also thought of some other things to try: emptying window’s prefetch folder, emptying window’s temp folder, or disabling office’s ctfmon.exe

I’ll have to remake the changes I made in that registry to make sure that if the problem gets solved its your solution.

Thanks a lot, plz keep it coming,
Ruibing

Or you could do what worked for me:

As I only had this happen with 1 avi again just now which I know downloaded incorrectly - was coming at a nice 50k, then speed jumped to to 500k (way above my line) apparently finishing ok?! (except way too fast)

Simply single clicking on this file causes explorer.EXE to run at around 100%. The file is of course corrupt, can’t even delete through windows (XP SP1). So one 98 boot disk later, delete file from DOS (there may be other better ways, but I don’t know them) --> no more problem.

Easy way to find the file if not sure - Open Folder containing the avi’s, select all and right click selection of avi’s \ properties (if you have a lot of avi’s in diff folders and not sure where prob file is) --> if CPU usage (explorer.EXE) goes to 100% you’ve found the folder with the bad file (right clicking the folder of avi’s does NOT work, you must select folders contents and get properties that way). Now, as mentioned earlier, end explorer.EXE’s process and restart explorer.exe using “New Task” under the application tab to regain normal CPU usage. Then just single click each file in the folder until CPU usage again goes to 100%. Congrats, you’ve just found the problem file! (possibly may be more than one).

This problem has occurred twice for me now both times exactly the same way, with corrupt, useless, incomplete avi’s that look normal, file properties and size also look normal, just won’t play.

This may be worth trying before embarking on big fix windows missions (not to say its not necessary in some cases, just not mine).

Hope this helps ^^

I had the same problem (explorer.exe staying at 100% CPU) and for the same reason (corrupt .avi file). I moved all the new files with no thumbnail into a special folder to more easily weed out the corrupt file. Surprisingly, the main video download folder still hung when it was displaying thumbnails and explorer.exe stayed stuck at 50% cpu without ever dropping.

So I closed explorer.exe started it again, went back to my main video download folder, switched to “list view”, sorted the files by “modified by”, and started going through them one by one with Task Manager open, looking for the one that made explorer.exe jump. None of the recent files caused explorer.exe to jump so I was stumped.

I decided to jump ahead to the folder with the video files without thumbnails (one of which I assumed was corrupt) in “list view”. This folder only contained about 50 files versus the 1000+ in my main video download folder. I easily located the corrupt avi file with the process mentioned in the above post (btw, the filename was preceded by TMP in case that is a flag).

Then I went back to my main video download folder, switched to “thumbnail view” and sure enough, everything was OK.

The reason why the main video download library was causing explorer.exe to hang even though there were no corrupt files in the folder I moved the suspect files to was a subfolder of my main video download library. I am guessing that explorer.exe takes a quick peek inside subfolders and a root folder can hang if a corrupt avi file is found in a subfolder. This is just a guess.

Given this, it would better to move the suspect files (files without thumbnails) to a folder in the root directory, then follow the process above to locate the corrupt file, then, after deleting the corrupt file, move the remaining files back to the proper folder.

HP

Did you resolve your situation?

Found another recent idea [September 04, 2005 ], suggesting a virus:

http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/16512.html

but, I wonder if this is the case…

his will fix it:

The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

This problem manifests itself by causing Explorer to read the entire contents of an AVI file, regarless of its size or location any time the mouse pointer is hovered over it, or an attempt is made to access it in windows explorer. This causes ‘permission denied’ errors when trying to simply move, copy or delete these files as they cannot be changed while Explorer has an open handle on them.

This also causes a DoS situation where large AVI’s are stored on remote shares and Explorer keeps reading the files from beginning to end each time they are accessed.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files. This will not effect your ability to play files, get file attributes, or even view thumbnails. Say goodbye to all explorer.exe 100% CPU issues.

And Solution #2 (basically does the same thing, except you are inactivating the file attributes option)…But it WORKS–No more locked .avi files:

Well windows seem to have a REALLY big problem when it comes to reading AVI files. It seems that when you click on an AVI file in explorer, it’ll try to read the entire AVI file to determine the width,height, etc. of the AVI file (this is displayed in the Properties window). Now the problem with Windows is that if you have a broken/not fully downloaded AVI file that doesnt contain this info, Windows will scan the entire AVI file trying to figure out all these properties which in the process will probably cause 100% CPU usage and heavy memory usage.

To solve this problem all you have to do is the following:

1. Open up regedit
  2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAs
    sociations.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
  3. Delete the “Default” value which should be “{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}”

Please note that this will no longer provide you with the windows properties displaying the AVI file information such as width, height, bitrate etc. But its a small price to pay for saving you resources.

I’ve been having the same issue recently and have tried MS fixes as well as some mentioned here… AVI, virus scan, spysweeper, etc.

I believe I finally have it licked though and it was something I wouldn’t have guessed. I ran Ad-Aware SE and went ahead and deleted the non-threatning MRU lists. Voila, no more 100% lock ups.

Hope this helps someone out there since I know this drove me nuts.

Hi guys, I know this is a really old topic, but I just thought I’d let you know what the problem is.

It’s likely that the original topic creator’s problem was not with any registry or Windows prefetch settings. (that is, if his problem was with all files&folders, not just folders with AVI’s in them).

I bet 10-to-1 that he installed a hard drive controller card (RAID controller) and he didn’t install the drivers. Yes, Windows will recognize it, and yes, it will work, but the reason the processor stays at 99-100% is because the RAID card’s drivers are not installed and Windows has to control the hard drives directly.

Symptoms are that Explorer.exe or whatever file copying programs or cmd scripts you are using, like Xcopy, XXcopy, Robocopy, etc use all the available CPU power and the file copy progress is much slower than it should be. You can leave it on for long periods of time and it will eventually slow down so much that you can’t even move the mouse or type on the keyboard.

I know this because I’ve worked with many a RAID controller in my day. It’s possible it could have been something else, but I think that’s probably his problem.

The solution is to find the CD that came with your controller card or go to the manufacturer’s website and DL the drivers. Install it in Windows, then reboot. Problem solved. Cheers :slight_smile:

Another similar problem is when you try to right-click on a folder with many many files (thousands) and it takes forever to bring up the popup menu. It’s likely that the folder has a bunch of music or video files and Windows Media Player has assigned context menu entries (shell extensions) to them. Use ShellExView (google it) to take off these unnecessary extensions, such as:
– Add to Sync List
– Add to Burn List
– Add to Now Playing List
– Add to Playlist
– Play with Windows Media Player

when was the last time you defraged?

Taken from dfourthhorseman’s signature:

80GB Seagate Barracuda IV HDD (1st,Master)
180GB Western Digital SW-240B 8MB Cache HDD (1st,Slave)

I bet 10-to-1 he didn’t.

For a folder containing loads of avi files, it’s best to remove the video files customization, otherwise Explorer will display a thumbnail for each one. Yet another one of XP’s annoying auto features.

This Bug still exists in Vista.
It is the corrupt avi files.

The suggested regedit line for solution 1 doesn’t exist in vista.
Meaning even playable but broken avi files now don’t play.
I have to delete or rename them.

I chose to rename them txt they don’t thumbnail but I can drag them into vlc and they play fine

I have a similar problem but removing the registry keys noted here did not fix the problem. I also am not seeing this caused by broken Avi files. My business uses massive quantity of Tif files related to our paperless office. I was thinking it might have been related to something in the registry related to those files and possibly a damaged image file. Is this possible? Our IT consultants answer to everything is reformat. Am I really at that point?

Explorer.exe causing the CPU usage to jump high and slow down your machine is not a virus and stay out of the regedit program. This problem is caused by a corrupt video file (usually) sometime audio but I have only seen that once.
This is a problem I get probably 5 times per week, I’m a tech support for Dell. Here’s the fix…
First find and remember the folder you keep you video files in, the problem is usually a AVI file.
Restart you computer
Open My Computer
Open your tack manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) go to processes Tab find and highlight explorer.exe. This should be running at almost no CPU usage
Open the folder where the video files are kept ****Important do not let your mouse pointer go into the display box until you are ready.
now let your pointer go down the list of video files one by one until you see the CPU Usage jump to a high number and stay there, usually 99%.
The file you are on when the number jumps is the one with the explorer conflict. You should delete this file, if you have to keep it you can download a conversion file to change it to some other format.
Note: Some times it may not be an AVI file but the check is the same, when the CPU jumps you have found your problem.
Sometimes the file will not delete…
Then you have to go to the Command prompt and get to that file and delete it directly.
Hope this helps. This method has always worked, it just takes time to find the corrupt file. It is possible that you have more than one corrupt file so restart after you have deleted the file and run your pointer down the list again with your Task Manager open.

Aren’t computers wonderful things… It because of all these silly little problems that I have a great job.

If you want a faster way to pinpoint the corrupt file, use the Microsoft tool Process Monitor:

First, recreate the problem causing explorer to use 100% CPU utilization. Then open up the Process Monitor tool and it will show explorer infinitely trying to do a file operation.
It will show you the exact file it’s trying to read over and over again.

I have had this same issue, I tried the process monitor, but thousands of processes keep kicking in and trying to run and i’ve ran every possible virus, registry, defrag scanner I know. From adaware/spybot to Live One care, advanced system optimizer and anything in between. My taskbar and start menu are frozen when anything starts on my comp. Any clue what the issue is? I have a hijack this log if that will help any:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:47:07 PM, on 4/17/2008
Platform: Unknown Windows (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16643)

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32 askeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPStart.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winssnotify.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP Connections\6811507\Program\HP Connections.exe
C:\Program Files\Sprint music manager\MEMonitor.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\ieuser.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\aAvgApi.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=71&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=71&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = .local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: The Pirate Bay Toolbar - {a33fa729-d155-4b23-842b-2c665ecabdb6} - C:\Program Files\The_Pirate_Bay bThe_.dll
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: AVGTOOLBAR - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
O2 - BHO: The Pirate Bay Toolbar - {a33fa729-d155-4b23-842b-2c665ecabdb6} - C:\Program Files\The_Pirate_Bay bThe_.dll
O3 - Toolbar: The Pirate Bay Toolbar - {a33fa729-d155-4b23-842b-2c665ecabdb6} - C:\Program Files\The_Pirate_Bay bThe_.dll
O3 - Toolbar: AVGTOOLBAR - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [WAWifiMessage] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [TkBellExe] “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe” -osboot
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [SynTPStart] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPStart.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [SpybotSnD] “C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe” /autocheck /autofix /autoclose
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [QuickTime Task] “C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe” -atboottime
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [OneCareUI] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winssnotify.exe"
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32
vsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] [ProgramFilesFolder]Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM…\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU…\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKCU…\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU…\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKCU…\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - Startup: MEMonitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sprint music manager\MEMonitor.exe
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: HP Connections.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP Connections\6811507\Program\HP Connections.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra ‘Tools’ menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra ‘Tools’ menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra ‘Tools’ menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32
laapi.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32
apinsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International

O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O16 - DPF: {3860DD98-0549-4D50-AA72-5D17D200EE10} (Windows Live OneCare safety scanner control) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/resource/download/scanner/en-us/wlscctrl2.cab
O16 - DPF: {6B75345B-AA36-438A-BBE6-4078B4C6984D} (HpProductDetection Class) - http://h20270.www2.hp.com/ediags/gmn2/install/HPProductDetection.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: ms-help - {314111C7-A502-11D2-BBCA-00C04F8EC294} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807563E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE12\MSOXMLMF.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AddFiltr - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\AddFiltr.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Background Capture Service (CBCS) (CLCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLCapSvc.exe
O23 - Service: CyberLink Task Scheduler (CTS) (CLSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\CLSched.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\ehome\ehstart.dll,-101 (ehstart) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NBService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero 7\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\qwave.dll,-1 (QWAVE) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\seclogon.dll,-7001 (seclogon) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: SupportSoft RemoteAssist - SupportSoft, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\supportsoft\bin\ssrc.exe
O23 - Service: @%windir%\system32\inetsrv\iisres.dll,-30003 (W3SVC) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%windir%\system32\inetsrv\iisres.dll,-30001 (WAS) - Unknown owner - %windir%\system32\svchost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - %ProgramFiles%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

[QUOTE=zambamingi;1982420]If you want a faster way to pinpoint the corrupt file, use the Microsoft tool Process Monitor:

First, recreate the problem causing explorer to use 100% CPU utilization. Then open up the Process Monitor tool and it will show explorer infinitely trying to do a file operation.
It will show you the exact file it’s trying to read over and over again.[/QUOTE]

Grokking and zambamingi, thanks for the post.

There was a corrupt file that was causing my explorer.exe to spike up to 100%
This Tool really helped out to find the culprit.
I deleted that sucker and reset the computer.
Opened folder that was originally making my cpu overwork itself, and nothing.
No more spiking.

:smiley:

Vista Ultimate 64 bit here. Quad Core 2.4 GHz, 8GB ram (I do video and graphics editing and multitrack hard-disk recording … plus play a couple games :bigsmile:)

All 4 processors, 0% utlization. (I had turned indexing off)
Open Explorer window … spike, then back near zero.
Open a folder … just about any folder:

At least two of my processors moved to 40, 50, 60, 70, then 80% utilization.
(average overall CPU, 40% to 50%)

Click in a specific folder, sometimes it would stop. It seemed to be most prevalent when I rolled up a set of subfolders or hovered over one about to open it.

[B]This worked for me, 100% verifiable.[/B] :clap:

[QUOTE=zambamingi;1982420]If you want a faster way to pinpoint the corrupt file, use the Microsoft tool Process Monitor:

It will show you the exact file it’s trying to read over and over again.[/QUOTE]

I’d searched all over … registry entries, avi file searches, etc, to no avail.

Used this [B]Procmon.exe[/B]. Sure there were lots of processes. But, suddenly it escalated 10 or 20-fold. At least two of my processors moved to 40, 50, 60, 70, then 80% utilization. I scrolled to bottom (latest entries) and scanned thru list to see that over an over three files continually coming up as not found.

In this folder:
[B]C:\Users\YOUR_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts[/B]

I had three shortcuts in there:

I’m not sure how I inadvertently created these Network shortcuts … and I haven’t researched how this folder is legitimately used or what I may have done wrong there. All I know is this:

[B]Take these shortcuts out, CPU utilization goes to zero[/B] (or 1% to 2% with indexing on)
[B]Put them back in, problem recurs[/B] (this is repeatable behavior)

I hope my post helps someone. :smiley:

[QUOTE=mlbuie;2201922]Vista Ultimate 64 bit here. Quad Core 2.4 GHz, 8GB ram (I do video and graphics editing and multitrack hard-disk recording … plus play a couple games :bigsmile:)

All 4 processors, 0% utlization. (I had turned indexing off)
Open Explorer window … spike, then back near zero.
Open a folder … just about any folder:

At least two of my processors moved to 40, 50, 60, 70, then 80% utilization.
(average overall CPU, 40% to 50%)

Click in a specific folder, sometimes it would stop. It seemed to be most prevalent when I rolled up a set of subfolders or hovered over one about to open it.

[B]This worked for me, 100% verifiable.[/B] :clap:

I’d searched all over … registry entries, avi file searches, etc, to no avail.

Used this [B]Procmon.exe[/B]. Sure there were lots of processes. But, suddenly it escalated 10 or 20-fold. At least two of my processors moved to 40, 50, 60, 70, then 80% utilization. I scrolled to bottom (latest entries) and scanned thru list to see that over an over three files continually coming up as not found.

In this folder:
[B]C:\Users\YOUR_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts[/B]

I had three shortcuts in there:

I’m not sure how I inadvertently created these Network shortcuts … and I haven’t researched how this folder is legitimately used or what I may have done wrong there. All I know is this:

[B]Take these shortcuts out, CPU utilization goes to zero[/B] (or 1% to 2% with indexing on)
[B]Put them back in, problem recurs[/B] (this is repeatable behavior)

I hope my post helps someone. :D[/QUOTE]

Vista Ultimate 64x E8500 @ 3.16Ghz 8GB RAM 2x1TB, 1x640GB & 1x500GB HDD’s

I had the exact same problem, I was opening windows explorer and the cpu would go up to 60%, By sheer accident i closed the expanded Computer list in the navigation pane and the cpu went back to 0%, i didnt know what the hell was going on but it worked. I just read you post mlbuie and noticed that those links from
are shown in the navigation pane when computer is expanded. i got rid of them and it works at 0% even with computer expanded in the navigation pane. lol WTF. it must be trying to connect to the links server or sumthing as if it were another drive.