Exploding disc?

Has anybody already experienced an exploded disc?

Yeah, long time ago in my AOpen CD-952. But dz´unno which CD-R it was.

Drive was defect after that, but it never was a good drive

I had a DVD explode in an old Plextor drive. The disc was a DVD rental that had a crack in the hub. I was always good about checking and cleaning discs but I missed it in that case. The disc exploded in the drive at full speed and that was the end of the drive. It was my Plextor PX-716A. Loved that drive. The sound was unpleasant and shocking to say the least. Ever since then I always check discs carefully be they brand new or otherwise. With respect to rental discs, I am insanely thorough in checking since then. The amount of damage I’ve found done to rental discs is beyond disturbing and it isn’t simple wear and tear; it’s people who just don’t care about anything let alone the other people who may rent the discs after them.

Edit: Actually, it may have been my PX-708A. It was so long ago that I can’t remember which. I had them both at the time.

At what speed did the DVD explode?

The DVD world was even more exciting than USB, especially data forensics.

DVDs owned by lesser experienced people made good reputations for experienced technicians, because they could always do things like cleaning discs, forensics and using the potentiometers.

Did the drive ceased working after that?

I’ve seen this happen in the past but I think the manufacturing processes have improved a lot since then.

The danger sign is a crack near the hub as @DrinkLyeAndDie mentioned earlier.

I can’t say what the speed was at the time of failure. At the time I wasn’t paying attention to the speed. I was multi-tasking and after the catastrophic sound I expected to be pulling shrapnel out of my leg and everything around the Plextor drive. On the positive side the drive contained all of the blast so nothing escaped that I could find. The incident occurred over a decade ago.

After the incident the drive didn’t sound right or read discs and I never felt like I would be able to properly clean out all the shrapnel nor fix the underlying damage from the explosion. I loved that drive but it became a drive that I simply felt was unreliable and beyond fixing. Fom some quick testing I expect that the reading head was damaged and it didn’t spin properly. It was relegated to being a paperweight. Maybe it could have been refurbished but my take on it was that the drive was simply too questionable even if I were to repair it.

Manufacturing is very important and I’ve experience more than a few poor discs that were “poor” when they were brand new. A tip off to some of these discs is when you go to remove them from the disc case you hear a sound that doesn’t sound proper. If you look closely it’s one of two things: (1) a damaged hub be it a nick or a chip or (2) the layers of the disc are separating. The adhension of the layers was done badly and it’s visible in the hub area of the disc. Flex the disc a little bit and if it’s present it’ll become visible and it makes a sound that you can actually hear. At the end of the day, yes, damage in the hub is the one that automatically worries me the most.

I’ve had a lot of poor experienced with rental systems like RedBox over the years; Poorly manufactured discs and discs damaged by people. I’ve rented and returned damaged discs for refunds many many times. Sometimes I am simply left flabbergasted at how little people care. The amount and type of man-made damage that I’ve seen is jaw-dropping. And in cases like that people seem to be too stupid to realize that since they already rented the disc and paid for it that RedBox or whoever they rented from actually know who you were. I always contact RedBox or the rental service immediately to let them know, refuse to even put the disc in a drive, and return it for a refund. Being given free credits on top of that is nice, as well.

Once upon a time with an asus 16x dvd-rom pushed to 18x :slight_smile: good old times.

What model was that drive?
You can Re-Buy it from eBay probably.

I never had it happen as i imagine it’s got to be fairly rare for the common person but here is a cool video of a CD exploding from high RPM and then showed in super slow motion…

Yeah, some people have no standards :frowning:

Like back in 1998 i borrowed a audio CD from someone i worked with and after i was done i brought it back to him and all was good. everything was returned to him exactly in the same condition that i borrowed it. but then not long after he wanted to borrow one of my audio CD’s and since i take good care of my discs i was a bit worried he would somewhat abuse it. so when i lent it to him i told him to becareful not scratch it etc. well not long after i got the audio CD back, sure enough, it had scratches on it that i know for a fact where not there when i lent it to him. but as expected, he tried to play it off like he did not do anything wrong and at that point i just moved on and was done with that person. normally i would have never lent it to someone i don’t trust like that but since i borrowed his i sort of felt obligated to let him borrow one of mine that he wanted.

with that said… the disc was not totally ruined or anything when i got it back, as it still played fine, but it had some mostly light scratches on it. but it just shows someones lack of respect for others property which does not say much for that person who don’t have a basic respect for that sort of thing as that should be a standard everyone should have at the very least.

You could have given a CD-R copy of the disc.
Or you could want him to purchase it again for you.

Had this happen to me as well at less than 20x read speed (CD). Disc had a crack from the center. The drive still works but the tray no longer opens/closes automatically and must be ejected with the emergency eject hole. You can hear the shards sliding around the bottom of the drive’s case if you tilt it. The irony is - I was writing CD recovery software and was too lazy to implement rotation speed controls XD